Apple Announces Aperture 3

Waiting on the free trial, but glad to finally see 64-bit, adjustment presets, and brushes.

Also, interesting new zoom tooltips on the site, which now expand the image into a "hud" panel.

ynvw2.png

Might be interesting for mac owners, I haven't used Aperture before but I'm under the impression that Lightroom is far superior. How far off the mark am I?

The facial recognition feature looks really cool.

Might be interesting for mac owners, I haven't used Aperture before but I'm under the impression that Lightroom is far superior. How far off the mark am I?

Considering A LOT of pros use Aperture, way off.

They each do different things better than the other. Having used both, I prefer Aperture.

Finally able to set color profiles for external editors.

colorspace.png

Rule of thirds lines on crop.

crop.png

Focus points! Yes!

focus.png

focus2.png

Nicer histogram. Notice that reprocess button--leads me to believe they're using a newer RAW engine.

histogram.png

Adjustment presets with a nice core animated preview.

presets.png

Quick brushes. You can also use brushes for any regular adjustment like color, levels, exposure, etc. No more tomfoolery with Photoshop masks.

brushes.png

Tiger-era traffic lights? What?

traffic.png

It goes nuts on ram like LR

mem.png

Nope. Both are great, I just prefer Aperture's more flexible organization and workflow.

Dodge/Burn is now a quick brush and uses the main window with a hud for adjustment. Can also detect edges (so if you're dodging a sunrise or mountain cliffs it'll detect the edges to not go over them)

burn.png

In terms of speed, thumbnails are a bit faster to generate and some things are a bit snappier (from being 64-bit I'd imagine), but I'd say it's still pretty demanding on resources. At least 4GB ram and a 7200RPM hard drive I'd recommend.

dodge/burn: Yeay!

speed: damn my 2gb ram iMac :(

But when I use Aperture I check my memory, and lots of times it has half of my ram UNUSED and Aperture is chugging along.

Any ideas?

dodge/burn: Yeay!

speed: damn my 2gb ram iMac :(

But when I use Aperture I check my memory, and lots of times it has half of my ram UNUSED and Aperture is chugging along.

Any ideas?

1GB free in the green or do you mean wired/active/inactive? Check your page outs, which is the swap file paging to the hard disk--if this is a high number you need more ram. (makes everything go slow)