windows 7 codec pack

The ONLY codecs you NEED to play ALL video&audio formats in Windows 7 are:

Video: Ffdshow -newest build: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/ - uncheck all Audio processing and leave only the video (default settings) !

ffdshow is an advanced DirectShow filter and VFW codec that supports many audio and video formats. For example: H.264, MPEG-4, MPEG-2, H.263, VP3, VP6, Theora, MJPEG, SVQ3, MP3, AC3, DTS, E-AC3, AAC, and Vorbis.

Audio: AC3 Filter for Ac3/DTS processing:

AC3Filter is a high quality free audio decoder and processor filter. It allows media players to playback movies with AC3 and DTS audio tracks.

http://ac3filter.googlecode.com/files/ac3filter_1_63b.exe

Everything else, especially the so called codec packs aka TRASH will render your system useless after some time. Trust me!

• Like 2

shark 007's codec

check it out. im sure you'll dig it.

some reason neowin isnt allowing me to link it or even type "shark 007" unless I space it out.

Edit:link broken

http://www.neowin.ne...unce&f=12&id=11

This has been discussed a lot.

'Apparently' Shark 007 uses unlicensed code in his product so Neowin classes it as warez. Personally i don't whether this is true or not but just giving you a heads up.

Video: Ffdshow -newest build: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/ - uncheck all Audio processing and leave only the video (default settings) !

Everything else, especially the so called codec packs aka TRASH will render your system useless after some time. Trust me!

i will try this out thanks.

+1 Million

Deff this ^^^

Codec packs are notorious for bringing even the best maintained system to the ground and half the cack they come bundled with you will never use.

And if you don't play lots of obscure formats, you really only need Haali Media Splitter (for MKV), AC3Filter, and optionally the VobSub filter if you want subtitles. That combined with the built-in codecs in Windows 7 will play most common stuff. Personally I would seriously consider trying that first and see if you really need anything else. If all you play is windows media, mpeg 1/2 and mpeg 4/divx/xvid/h.264, you need nothing else. Most files are in one of these formats.

And yes, Shark 007's pack contains pirated software and is illegal.

This has been discussed a lot.

'Apparently' Shark 007 uses unlicensed code in his product so Neowin classes it as warez. Personally i don't whether this is true or not but just giving you a heads up.

Oh? Thanks, I had no idea. Now to research as to why it would be tied to warez...

Deff this ^^^

Codec packs are notorious for bringing even the best maintained system to the ground and half the cack they come bundled with you will never use.

That's why Windows Media Player will now use Media Foundation by default for all supported formats. MF will always use Microsoft's codecs unless the application manually uses something else (and WMP does not.) This can't be overridden, and the idea is to make it much harder to mess up the system.

Oh? Thanks, I had no idea. Now to research as to why it would be tied to warez...

I looked at it in another thread and found at least the following things that are pirated:

DivX H.264 Decoder

Various Haali renderer/splitter stuff

Nero ES Video Reader

Nero Digital Parser

RadLight OptimFROG DirectShow Filter

VP7 Decompressor

• Like 1

I looked at it in another thread and found at least the following things that are pirated:

DivX H.264 Decoder

Nero ES Video Reader

Nero Digital Parser

VP7 Decompressor

Ah yes that is the thread i was going to point schiz-o-phren-ic too.

DivX H.264 Decoder

Nero ES Video Reader

Nero Digital Parser

VP7 Decompressor

Wow, yea that will do it. Sheesh, the whole damn thing is a rip. :pinch:

Uninstalling and going kukubau's (+1rep to both you guys) route soon as i sit at my pc.

the only codec pack i use on 7 is Combined Community Codec Pack and i untick the divx/xvid/generic mpeg4/h.264/avc and the MP3 and MP1/2 audio decoders as WMP and mpc included with Combined Community Codec Pack can play all that you need except real player and quicktime files but quicktime and real alternatives do the trick if needed. codec packs under 7 are largely redundant except for a few extensions.

Combined Community Codec Pack

+1

I had issues with other packs in the past for a long time which led me to use VLC for a long period until there were issues with Windows 7 and my 4850 with it. Those issues are now resolved but I'm now used to the extra control alternative codecs provide. Never had any issues with CCCP and have been using it for months.

Codec packs arent that bad when you know what you need and what not. And as far as windows 7 built in codcs go - they look awful. Too much deblocking or w/e so everything looks smudged.

I used to use CCCP on Windows Vista, but when I moved over to Windows 7. CCCP didn't quite work (the pixelization problem in HD content) so someone suggest Shark's codec pack. Which is what I now use. Normally I dole out the advice "don't use codec packs" but now it is "don't use crap codec packs" ;)

Wow, yea that will do it. Sheesh, the whole damn thing is a rip. :pinch:

Uninstalling and going kukubau's (+1rep to both you guys) route soon as i sit at my pc.

And as hdood said and I forgot about, "Haali Media Splitter(ex Matroska splitter)" for playing video inside mkv containers (HD, x264).

Don't forget to uncheck AC3 processing inside ffdshow, to let AC3 filter do the AC3, DTS decoding instead of ffdshow. Personally I uncheck everything audio related in ffdshow.

codec packs aren't what they where back int he k lite days

both cccp and the one we're not allowed to mention, are essentially ffdshow+hali and ac3 filter. along with a few other codecs to handle what they don't handle, or what they don't handle well. and they don't have a million codecs that conflict and cause system crashes like the old codec packs of the k lite area did.

they just set up the system with the codecs you need and configure them to work together without you needing to do it.

get with the times, it's at least 5 years since codec packs where a issue and headache.

I think codec pack isn't necessary when there are programs like KM player, VLC player etc. I used to use CCCP (imho the worst choice btw) but I'm used to playing movies in KMplayer now.

I think codec pack isn't necessary when there are programs like KM player, VLC player etc. I used to use CCCP (imho the worst choice btw) but I'm used to playing movies in KMplayer now.

Well unless you like WMP or Zune better. it arguably has a much better video player GUI than KM or especially the archaic VLC that's ****ty on so many levels. or some of us have media center computers running WMC or Mediaportal and similar software that use the built in codec function in windows. which honestly makes more sense to me than using a player with all the codecs locked into the player.