"The Wii Is A Virus"

I don't think the industry is going by graphics although it certainly doesn't hurt. Compared to the Wii, the 360 and PS3 have treasure troves of AAA titles, none AAA because of graphics alone.

-Spenser

+1

But I would add how can you create a title as atmospheric and story fuelled title like Heavy Rain or ME2 or Alan Wake without some technical power behind it?

IMO (notice the opinion part), the Wii is no more, or less, of a gimmick than the 360 or the PS3.

Except for the fact 3 months after you buy your 360 or PS3 you're still playing them ... or in the case of the PS3, using it as a BluRay player.

I don't think the industry is going by graphics although it certainly doesn't hurt. Compared to the Wii, the 360 and PS3 have treasure troves of AAA titles, none AAA because of graphics alone.

-Spenser

The AAA titles from those are mostly 1st party as well though. The 3rd parties have just been rehashing things for so long, I wouldn't go rating many of them as AAA. Even most of the PS3 games that are AAA don't sell as well as the Wii games that are in the same cat. And I think most of the AAA titles came at both consoles releases, and are really scratching for anything now. And a lot of the games just get more advertising than needed, making you think its a AAA when really its a dante inferno lol.

+1

But I would add how can you create a title as atmospheric and story fuelled title like Heavy Rain or ME2 or Alan Wake without some technical power behind it?

Zelda worked pretty well. It's all about the art design of the game, the music, and how well it plays. If you want a realistic/hyper realistic game, then ya, you need serious power. But game play does not need it. Realistic looking RPG's may not be the Wii's strong point, but it's not the graphics that make the game alone, though as everyone can agree, they can help, depending on game type. WoW does great with atmosphere and comic graphics, it could be handled on the Wii.

But the Wii agian, is a multi person gaming machine, were as the games you listed are for single players. Again, the Wii may not be your choice if you like to play alone. But with a group of people, you are hard pressed to find a console that will deliver as much fun and games that the Wii will. Ya, the xbox and ps3 have their arcade games, but it's not the same interaction. There is a lot more to be said when you're being active with others than just sitting, also a lot more funny things that can happen.

I wouldn't buy one either. It's like a Baby Einstein toy more than anything. When I see or hear "Nintendo", I remember the Super NES and NES. The only cool feature about the Wii is the ability to download and play all the classic games. If it wasn't for that, I'd pass it off completely.

I got a Wii and really like it, but in the first week it lost major hit points with me. I bought one last November, and got Metroid Prime Trilogy (I bought the Wii with these games in mind,TBH.) After setting it up, playing a few of the other games and setting up all the other stuff, I pop in in the Metroid Prime dick, which won't play. I finally find out the info on Nintendo's tech support site, my Wii won't play this dual layer disk, I need to send in the console and the disk, after owning the unit for like 3 days. That is unacceptable, as the game was out for a while, and the unit was brand new, I think it was a firmware update that contributed to the problem. I do really like the Wii but as of right now, the one game I play a lot (12-16 hours a week) is Pinball Hall Of Fame, The Williams Collection. I really love pinball, and it's a great game, but I feel Nintendo kinda' screwed people with a lot of these dual-layer disks that won't play without being sent back to the shop first. If this is going to happen with every data-heavy next-gen 3d game I get my perception of the Wii as a serious gamer rig is compromised. As it is I usually play most new games on PC DVD almost exclusively, and my Wii is used for less serious games, and for WiiWare games, etc.

?I don't have a big HD TV or anything, so it's not like I can really take advantage of the systems' high def. Why would I buy another console when the Wii already provides me with way more games than I have time for?

i think this line sums up your post the best....

^ Yeah, but many do turn it on every day. I mean grandmas play the Wii. That should be a clue for anyone with half a brain that standard games are not going to sell well on it. You need to come up with innovated, family oriented games for the Wii. Most games companies are geared to hard core gamers and they only know how to crank out games for those gamers. The Wii is for the causal gamer and they want things simple and fresh.

Besides, I think we are slowly seeing a shift in the console to being a bad boy for just hard core gamers to an entertainment system for the entire family.

They need to sell a Farmville game for the Wii. That would sell like hotcakes because it would appeal to most Wii users. Most Wii users do not do hard core games.

Based upon what info? That is a BS statement.

^ Yeah, but many do turn it on every day. I mean grandmas play the Wii. That should be a clue for anyone with half a brain that standard games are not going to sell well on it. You need to come up with innovated, family oriented games for the Wii. Most games companies are geared to hard core gamers and they only know how to crank out games for those gamers. The Wii is for the causal gamer and they want things simple and fresh.

Besides, I think we are slowly seeing a shift in the console to being a bad boy for just hard core gamers to an entertainment system for the entire family.

Again with the FUD.

I haven't played my Wii for a solid 2.5 years since I bought it on launch day in 2006

First console I regret buying because I literally spent $508 on the bundle. I hate being herded after that, it made me realize the art of marketing.

I haven't played my Wii for a solid 2.5 years since I bought it on launch day in 2006

First console I regret buying because I literally spent $508 on the bundle. I hate being herded after that, it made me realize the art of marketing.

That is the same deal with ALL consoles. If you bought it and aren't using it then you should have no complaints. There is plenty of content out there.

That is the same deal with ALL consoles. If you bought it and aren't using it then you should have no complaints. There is plenty of content out there.

Wait you're talking about the Wii right?

Because I only noticed the lack of real games. Nintendo advertised this product toward gamers too but we were left out.

There's always an endless supply of good games on the PS3 and Xbox.

It's one of the reasons I still buy games for my Xbox.

3rd party developers can't make money off it because the people who bought it first haven't turned it on since.

the point is to make them want to turn it on!

like the wii is probably going to do best with gimmicky spinoffs while the main game series stay on the 360 and ps3, otherwise its going to be party games shovelware or games that people wont buy...

but i really think that a big part of it was because the motion controls dont really live up to their promises made back in 2005, when the wii was still called the revolution... the wii motion plus should have come as standard, having lousy controls turns every single game into a gimmick.... this is the difference between a 'toy' and what said toy is trying to be, in this case a serious gaming console...

Based upon what info? That is a BS statement.

Again with the FUD.

It's called an opinion. I base it on what I've read and from the people I know who use a Wii. I really don't care if you like my opinion or not. Most Wii users are not hard core gamers. We use our PS3/XBox 360 for that.

3rd party developers can't make money off it because the people who bought it first haven't turned it on since.

Then why is New Super Mario Bros. selling like crazy?

Because I only noticed the lack of real games.

What are "real games"?

it's 3rd party developers abandoning it because they can't make money off it.

No, the third party developers choose not to make any money because they are lazy and shovel out a lot of garbage. The best Wii games are by Nintendo because they make the best use of Wii's innovative features. Very few third party developers really get the 'Wii' so they don't make games that live up to the Wii's potential. Take EA Sports Active. It's like the next level of Wii Fit and has enjoyed tremendous success. Why? EA maximized everything the Wii had to offer.

But I have to wonder about the intelligence of a person who says " the Wii is a toy, not an entertainment focused product" So then what is a toy then? Is it not a PRODUCT designed for ENTERTAINMENT value? Therefore the Wii is an entertainment focused product, yes? I didn't get mine for decoration that's for sure.

The more Wii-bashing you hear the more you know that it's really just bitterness that Nintendo remains the clear console winner. That's all this is so let's move on.

No, the third party developers choose not to make any money because they are lazy and shovel out a lot of garbage. The best Wii games are by Nintendo because they make the best use of Wii's innovative features. Very few third party developers really get the 'Wii' so they don't make games that live up to the Wii's potential. Take EA Sports Active. It's like the next level of Wii Fit and has enjoyed tremendous success. Why? EA maximized everything the Wii had to offer.

But I have to wonder about the intelligence of a person who says " the Wii is a toy, not an entertainment focused product" So then what is a toy then? Is it not a PRODUCT designed for ENTERTAINMENT value? Therefore the Wii is an entertainment focused product, yes? I didn't get mine for decoration that's for sure.

The more Wii-bashing you hear the more you know that it's really just bitterness that Nintendo remains the clear console winner. That's all this is so let's move on.

This topic was never about console sales, software sales. Well, console sales come into it when a good 3rd party game is made and it sells like utter balls compared to the Wii's install base.

i play my wii everyday and there is some damn good games on it, that saying i own a 360 and i find the games on it as boring as bat **** which is prolly why i dont have a single game for the 360 and its only used as a media center extender

This topic was never about console sales, software sales.

No of course not. Because sales don't matter at all!

Well, console sales come into it when a good 3rd party game is made and it sells like utter balls compared to the Wii's install base.

What is a "good 3rd party game" that sells like utter balls?