Ubuntu gets a new look

Anyone here who follows Ubuntu will know that time and time again there have been references by both Mark Shuttleworth himself and the other devs regarding new themes etc every time a new version rolls round but they never seem to actually happen - it ends up being a slight colour change or something... Well, not anymore folks - this time they meant it. As shown over at OMG! Ubuntu! the new styling looks rather sleek and Ubuntu is finally being dragged into the 21st century by the looks of it which is something that I know a lot of people believed to be holding it back.

I think this is definitely a step in the right direction, so what do you guys and gals think?

New%20Ubuntu%20Logo.png

The new theme looks kinda dated to me. It reminds me of something KoL may have designed like 4 years ago.

New logo is welcomed though!

I absolutely love everything except for the window buttons placement. Luckily, by the time of the release, it's going to get even more polished.

Everything's awesome... except the theme. Dark has some interesting concepts, but I think the close buttons need to be redesigned, and it needs to be... recoloured and slimmed down a bit.

what version is this coming in? next version?

I think so, yeah.

I like everything except the title bar widgets (not the placement, just the look), and the rounded corners are horrible. Look at how sloppy and pixelated they look. Either make it smoother or just go with squared windows.

The Dark theme looks nice, until you get below the File, Edit ect. Menu, then it just doesn't match at all. Still looks like classic Ubuntu below that line.

Why is it these "dark themes" are only ever dark in the window title and borders? I want a fully fledged dark theme. I guess I'll just stick with my Aurora-Midnight.

Why is it these "dark themes" are only ever dark in the window title and borders? I want a fully fledged dark theme. I guess I'll just stick with my Aurora-Midnight.

Application designers design around a light theme. A dark theme tends to wreak havoc on readability of text in a few applications which assume black text will show up. An all-dark theme shipped as a standard theme would end up a usability disaster.

Not if it's done right. I have no problem with this theme at all. This is the first one I've seen that actually does it right however. Every other one screws up text input boxes but making them white with white text. Unless you have a sensitivity to light text on a dark background (it can be hard for some people to read) then it shouldnt be a problem.

Edit: See screenshot here

I liked the new look.... but i think the old logo was far better than the new one.

the min/Max/Close buttion look good but would have been better if its on the right just like windows....

This is better than the current theme, but still fugly compared to Windows 7.

But Windows 7 looks like ass compared to OS X to me, so I guess it's all subjective. :rolleyes:

I think so, yeah.

I like everything except the title bar widgets (not the placement, just the look), and the rounded corners are horrible. Look at how sloppy and pixelated they look. Either make it smoother or just go with squared windows.

Yeah, I have to agree.

I'm not a big Linux user at all, I just have it in a VM when I need to tinker. But I'm not crazy about the new UI here... Parts of it look good (The menus in the dark theme look good), but the windows need some work.

Why do I always feel that they are using something like 120dpi for the text and buttons? Why are they so big?

Some great improvements there. I think they have a way to go and think it can be made to look prettier overall.. but think the new logo looks more professional, and the themes are definitely a step in the right direction.

This theme's okay... but the caption button placement is just nonsensical IMO.

The new logo's font is weird... I liked the older font; it really stood out.

This theme's okay... but the caption button placement is just nonsensical IMO.

The new logo's font is weird... I liked the older font; it really stood out.

The older (and still current) logo font reminds me of comic sans, except done with all rounded formed characters (the "n" and "u" really stick out as just a bent line, as if formed with a wet noodle).

The only part that really bothers me about the new logo, is how every character, except the "n" has a curved area that descends below the character base/bottom line. Since the "n" ends with it's endpoints on the baseline, there is nothing to descend downward. It looks out of place to me, as the lowest points of all other letters line up. I think they saw this, too. The "n" doesn't align where I would expect it to, with the ends of the other vertical lines of the "b" or "u" characters. It was moved downward from that, between following the vertical lines set up by the "b" and "u", and the lower curves that the eye tends to follow.

The end result, to me: my eyes jar a bit when encountering the letter "n". With the old logo, you could line up a paper and all letters would rest exactly on it. This one, not so.

Some of it I like but other stuff I don't. the theme could be better. and the boot screen really doesn't match. too many colors. the purple boot screen looks gross. the use of orange on their website is and still will be a bit too much.