Ubuntu gets a new look

Why move the titlebar buttons to the left?

Stylistic choice, I'd assume, or else they just admire Aqua from Mac OS X.

Either way, do a lot of people actually use those widgets? I figured most people just used keyboard shortcuts.

Go to webupd8.org, they have new screenshots, window control buttons are on the right side again (thank god). So I guess the theme will continue to evolve by the time of the release. I'm loving Dark btw.

I was unaware with the UI update they were doing a new logo as well. I am very happy with all the Graphical changes so far. Except for the minimize, close and whatnot buttons being moved to the left like a Mac never really liked that even on my Mac.

Except for the minimize, close and whatnot buttons being moved to the left like a Mac never really liked that even on my Mac.

I do care for that much either but I never run with a default them so that won't be a problem for me. :D

The whole 'Buttons on the left side' is no big deal. Just because you've been used to it on Windows or Linux for years doesn't mean it's gonna be impossible to use once it's changed. You'll understand that if you've ever used OS X for a while.

You kinda change your working style depending on what OS you are on. That's what I do anyways.

Why do I always feel that they are using something like 120dpi for the text and buttons? Why are they so big?

I've wondered this as well. It seems that this is the case with most distros.

So they've ditched brown only to take up another questionable colour choice. The boot screen and GDM login backgrounds (which is the same as the default desktop bg) are swimming in purple. The GDM screen as seen in initial screen shots is a darkish purple (IMO it looks brighter on the actual boot than it looks in the screenshot) while the GDM background is like a freaking rainbow of purple. Gnome-terminal also got a new theme profile. The background colour? Take a guess. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the colour but I was hoping this time they choose a softer shade of whatever colour scheme it was gonna be...

I can only wait to see what kind of names are people gonna come up with now. Instead of "**** brown" it's gonna be like Purple Power or Barney OS or something... Or maybe this is all an April Fools joke... *crosses fingers*

If they can't decide whether to have the window close/max/min buttons on the right or left, why don't they let the user decide as an option?

The new font interests me, but I don't think the problem lies within the font alone. I think the Ubuntu developers should actively focus on the rendering instead. They've made great strides in improving the interface, so why not text rendering as well? A major setback for a lot of people (including web developers) is screen legibility. I am tired of having to manually create a '.fonts.conf' file every time I install Ubuntu just to get fonts to look right.

If they can't decide whether to have the window close/max/min buttons on the right or left, why don't they let the user decide as an option?

(sigh)

It *is* an option. And, from what I have been able to follow, and that this user who took the screenshots moved his to the left.

Anyways, I prefer fluxbox, and I keep my "pin" button on the left, and the minimize, maximize and close on the right. The title bar, that is for shade. Microsoft got that one wrong. :p

(sigh)

It *is* an option. And, from what I have been able to follow, and that this user who took the screenshots moved his to the left.

Anyways, I prefer fluxbox, and I keep my "pin" button on the left, and the minimize, maximize and close on the right. The title bar, that is for shade. Microsoft got that one wrong. :p

The default setting is to have the min/max/close buttons on the left. In order to move them to the right a user would have dig up gconf-editor and find the right toggles.

So yes, it may be an option, but not one that's simple to change.

Mind you, having used OS X for over 2 years now I don't mind the new location for the buttons.

But Windows 7 looks like ass compared to OS X to me, so I guess it's all subjective. :rolleyes:

In that case I can only imagine how absolutely horrendous Ubuntu looks compared to Mac OS X! Must be completely off the scale... I'm actually a bit scared now to install the beta... :p

am i blind? Looks the same to me.

Clearly, yes you are :p If you've used or even seen the previous versions you'll be able to tell the changes.