FAO Guests & Lurkers

Registering on Neowin (which is free) removes many ads, as we rather offset them to non contributing viewers. The divide between guests and logged in members is massive.

Simply being logged in delivers a richer experience too ;)

Features available to members:

- Commenting on news post articles.

- Create and respond to topics in the forums.

- A number of "off topic" (non technical) forums are shown.

- Fewer ads are shown.

- Mini Spy automatically updates.

- Member signatures may be viewed in topics (or turned off in "My Settings").

I remember a dev complaining about the high resource usage of the Neowin Spy section... so lurkers/guests shouldn't have access to that section (nor the Members Pictures/Videos area).

I remember a dev complaining about the high resource usage of the Neowin Spy section... so lurkers/guests shouldn't have access to that section (nor the Members Pictures/Videos area).

The mini Spy is disabled for guests, but the full spy isn't. Many sites have a way to show guests what recent activity is going on, and without that how can we entice people to register :p

The mini Spy is disabled for guests, but the full spy isn't. Many sites have a way to show guests what recent activity is going on, and without that how can we entice people to register :p

Post your pic on the front page :p ?

(...) and without that how can we entice people to register

Neowin didn't had recent activity in the older versions and it did fine.

If guests want to access member sections (protip: there are babe pictures in the Member Pictures section), they become members.

If you want to buff up your numbers, do some Weekly Administrator Sexy Shows or re-enable my profile (not a trap).

Post your pic on the front page :p ?

Have you ever seen what a forum thread looks like when you're not logged in? Neobond's picture is shown. See below:

Screen+shot+2010-03-07+at+12.46.04.png

• Like 1

Have you ever seen what a forum thread looks like when you're not logged in? Neobond's picture is shown. See below:

I can't believe this is actually real, I lol'd.

:laugh:

Registering on Neowin (which is free) removes many ads, as we rather offset them to non contributing viewers. The divide between guests and logged in members is massive.

I won't go into details, but simply being logged in delivers a richer experience too ;)

Is there any figures on how many non-registered users are visiting Neowin and it's forums on a daily basis?

I can for instance see that there's roughly 1850 members online at the moment, by going to the Forum list.

Would be quite interesting to know how many are viewing on top of that, which are not registered.

Is there any figures on how many non-registered users are visiting Neowin and it's forums on a daily basis?

I can for instance see that there's roughly 1850 members online at the moment, by going to the Forum list.

Would be quite interesting to know how many are viewing on top of that, which are not registered.

It says it right there in the online list :p

1719 active user(s) (in the past 30 minutes)

210 members, 1502 guests, 7 anonymous users

anonymous users are the ones that choose to hide their member name in the online list.

:laugh: makes me laugh every time I see it.

Love the pic, but doesn't 'We love your monies' sort of imply that registration isn't free?

My thought exactly... If i had seen that the first time i came to Neowin, i wouldnt have bothered to register at all.

Also it implies the website is less professional than it is.

Picture is fine, but take away the "We love your monies". If you want a comical aspect, maybe say something like "We love new members!"

That should be enough to frighten anyone into registering. :p

I always thought "We love your monies" is so hilarious.

Everytime I see that post it scares me into signing in.

I always thought "We love your monies" is so hilarious.

Everytime I see that post it scares me into signing in.

yeah I find it funny :laugh:

I've been a reader/browser since the beginning and actually just signed up and noticed a huge difference. Don't ask why I never signed up I really couldn't answer that! But I am very happy I finally took the plunge...

It says it right there in the online list :p

1719 active user(s) (in the past 30 minutes)

210 members, 1502 guests, 7 anonymous users

anonymous users are the ones that choose to hide their member name in the online list.

D'oh!! laugh.gif

What's the number between guests and registered users?

See above where to find it Guppy tongue.gif

D'oh!! laugh.gif

See above where to find it Guppy tongue.gif

doh! I missed in the first page of this post, thanks :p

Makes me wonder though, How many of those guests Log in to users? I know for one If for whatever reason i'm not logged in, I just browse neowin till I find something to reply/post about, then login