Logitech Performance MX mouse

Mouse arrived today from Logitech direct, I had 50% as compensation for being sent the wrong diNovo keyboard a while back as an RMA replacement- A rather nice gesture!

The tracking performance is as good as the MX Revolution which this is replacing (will use the Rev for work) and is just fine for gaming (played some Bad Company 2). tracking finer movements is a bit better too but not as fine detailed as the Razer Mamba but this is more comfortable and has more buttons too.

Charging and stuff is handy as you cable it and use as it charges - nice.

The pouch it comes in is being used by my i1D2 monitor calibration probe, it's pretty high quality :p

By the way, the charger has an ambient squeal like most Logitech plug in chargers I have come across when it is charging, even my first mouse, the MX1000 has a squeaking charger!

It's not loud but with a PC as quiet as mine I can hear it, thankfully the mice never needed to be plugged in for that long as charge times are fairly quick. The charger is a small block with a USB port on it so can charge any USB chargeable device too which is handy, I use it for my phone too :p

Pics:

pc_pmx_corded.jpg

Charging via USB mains, the mouse will work without a battery when the cable is connected too.

pc_pmx_vs_mxrev_bottom.jpg

Underside: Performance MX (left) vs MX Revolution (right)

pc_pmx_and_mxrev.jpg

Front: Performance MX (left) vs MX Revolution (right)

I've mapped the bottom task switch button to END and Zoom button to HOME as that's my quick skip to end/home on websites and Fraps screenshot/movie buttons while gaming which works a treat. SetPoint uBerOptions also works with SetPoint 4.6 on this which allows you to have a bit more customisation so check it out if you've not used it before!

It uses 1xAA NiMH battery (it comes with a high quality Eneloop) and with it inserted the mouse weighs about the same as the MX Revolution but sits a bit higher than the Revolution, fits more in your palm and your palm arches over it instead of lying flat on it like the revolution.

The wheel click middle mouse button is much better on the PMX, it has an actual click and you don't have to fight with it like you do on the MX1100 and MX Revolution - I ended up mapping the middle click to the zoom button on the Revolution as it was just so much better and leaving the wheel click to switch from ratchet to freewheel mode.

The sidescroll left and right of the wheel is pressure sensitive too which is neat.

@ £90 I don't think it's worth the extra cost over a Revolution which performs virtually the same but if you' can get it cheaper then it certainly has some nice features and the convenience of the Unified Receiver which will host up to 6 unified devices at a time each. I'm going to get the MK710 keyboard next with incurve keys so can save another USB port.

UPDATE**

It's now almost half way through Jan 2011 and the mouse has been absolutely flawless throughout Q3 and Q4 of 2010. The only thing I have noticed is that the Eneloop AA battery that comes with it has lost some charge capacity over the months. I use my PC daily for gaming sessions as well so this kind of charge cycling is expected to bring NiMH batteries down over regular usage. No problem though, just buy a pack of 2 high quality rechargeable and hotswap :)

I get about 2 days of use which includes gaming, and that's from the Eneloop battery that came with the mouse. Higher mAh batteries should get more run time per charge. It takes about 2-3 hours to charge the Eneloop to full by the way and while charging the mouse can be used at teh same time so essentially becomes wired for a couple of hours.

My only concern is with the material finishing, like with some other mice I have had (pretty much all of the wireless laser mice from Logitech) after daily use over several months the areas where your fingers rest and press the most start to lose their matte look and begin to go shiny, like how the spacebar of a used keyboard is often shiny. I wish they could use a material that wasn't so lightweight considering the mouse is the most handled peripheral so could do with a beefy outer finish.

Edited by mrk
  • Like 2

Ah so it IS wireless, I got confused with your first picture having the USB hooked up :p That's neat... so logitech is moving away from it's little "mouse dock" things?

Looks like a nice mouse... good review! Thank you.

No edit?

I also have the same mouse since it was released, very well pleased with it, awesome mouse.

Dind mention Darkfield? :p it does not track well on a wooden desk of mine though... some kind of special wood or something

nice review.

I don't understand what you're saying :/

Mouse was charged on the day of posting this thread, battery still has juice! (2 bars).

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer the revolution because it's second wheel, the placement of my hand and it's lower. Going from my mx1100 to my revolution and then my mx1100 i can't stand the "clunky"ness of my mx110" now. I love that mouse but with my mx rev now I can't go back to it it's my "I forgot to charge the rev" replacement

funny thing I at first thought charging It without using it would bother me but I realized by the time it gets to 1 bar I'll watch setpoint and when it gets to 1 day I'll put it on the stand overnight. Since the newer chargers for the mx rev have been fixed and don't over power the battery / charge longer then it's needed I haven't noticed any "damage". Honestly I just charge it when I'm gonna be gone for 2 hours.

My recommendation is, with any mouse, you want to charge it when your gonna be gone / it enters low. Best way to do it.

The Logitech Performance Mouse MX is by far the best mouse I have ever owned! However I must admit it wasn't love at first click. This is actually my third one, since the first two were defective (left mouse button would stick on both right out of the box), but the retailer was great about exchanging them, so no big deal. It was well worth the hassle and aggravation of having to make three trips to the store. So I got this one home and luckily it worked perfectly.

Have you noticed any stuttering or lag of any kind? I was plagued by it with my MX Revolution to the point where I stopped using it and threw it in the bin.

I also have this mouse and agree with others. it's an awesome mouse. I haven't noticed any lag at all and even after its gone to sleep when you leave it alone for a bit then start using it again there is no lag when it reconnects to the receiver. I use it in OSX.6.3 and Windows 7 and works flawlessly. cool.gif

Have you noticed any stuttering or lag of any kind? I was plagued by it with my MX Revolution to the point where I stopped using it and threw it in the bin.

You simply threw a $100 gadget away because it seemed to be laggy? O_O

• 2 weeks later...

Only suitable replacement for my MX1000 after it died.

this.

also the usb charging is so handy, it basically means I never have to worry about low battery.

At first I was worried the AA battery would be a pain or make the mouse too heavy but tbh my fears didn't turn out to be true.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah so it IS wireless, I got confused with your first picture having the USB hooked up :p That's neat... so logitech is moving away from it's little "mouse dock" things?

Yea was the first thing I noticed as well since I have the MX Revolution BlueTooth and its older generation which both use those docks. It is always a pain to have to remember to throw it on the dock the night of a critical charge (sometimes I have to forgo using the comp for an hour to let it fully charge - I could do partial charge in 10 minutes, but I'm a charge cycle nut).

I welcome the change, but it causes a bit of confusion in my mind. Why make it wireless in that case? And since it isn't a "dock", as annoying as they can be to remember, its replacement only adds to cable clutter on my desk (which there is too much of). If anything I think Logitech should have made a kind of hybrid solution...

My MX1000 is 6 years old and is starting to give me a bit of trouble here and there.. Time to upgrade to this beauty?

I think so (Y)

• 1 month later...

Which is awesome. You can now finally use your mouse whilst it is charging.

Nice job OP. I just recently purchased this mouse (the PMX) and it rocks. Very convenient features and unmatched ergonomic design.

I heard the battery lasts endless hours (exaggerated, more like 12 hours?) on a full charge. Is this true?

Blah. I have the revolution and I have to say I'm on the verge of hating it. Doesn't like to charge until I smack it around a couple of times. T_T Although I do prefer the Revolution design to the Performance MX. The Performance looks huge.

One problem is the special button below the scroll wheel is non-programmable. I program it to be middle mouse but without this function, I'm holding off the purchase.

One problem is the special button below the scroll wheel is non-programmable. I program it to be middle mouse but without this function, I'm holding off the purchase.

It's just a mechanical switch for ratcheted or smooth scrolling