Do people really pay for images?

I was looking for a photo today and I stumbled across a picture of a monitor on fotosearch. I clicked on the image to see what it looked like and the price was $99 for the image. Are you kidding me? $99 dollars for an image??? Do people actually pay these prices? I mean the monitor was no different than the monitor sitting on my desk.

http://www.fotosearch.com/CSP247/k2471991/

Am I missing something?

I was looking for a photo today and I stumbled across a picture of a monitor on fotosearch. I clicked on the image to see what it looked like and the price was $99 for the image. Are you kidding me? $99 dollars for an image??? Do people actually pay these prices? I mean the monitor was no different than the monitor sitting on my desk.

http://www.fotosearch.com/CSP247/k2471991/

Am I missing something?

I'm sure some companies do when they need something for an ad or something (sometimes they just steal from flickr and are embarrassed when someone figures it out)

YEah in some cases you're paying for big resolution, such is the case for that specific file

High Resolution

24.9 MB / 300 dpi / 10.4" x 9.3" / RGB

Gotta add though, i've seen images on istock go well over $100 :)

I work in marketing and we buy images - we'd never buy something as expensive as the OP states though because there are plenty of cheap, good quality pics of things like monitors etc out there.

Though that's an expensive image for it's content, I think more than anything you are paying for size. We purchase all of our images as well (As legally you have to have a license to use someone's image), and usually there's a tiered pricing model. So a smaller or lower quality image would be cheaper...

of course, i work for an advertising agency from time to time and they always buy their images. In the long run it's a lot cheaper than having to take them yourself in a wel lit environment (whiteroom stuff) and cut away the not needed parts.

I had some of my photos bought (and paid :p).

So yeah, some people do buy images, I'm guessing for advertisement and other stuff like music CD covers and stuff like that