Netflix Streaming for Wii - March 26th 2010

Just got the e-mail about my disc shipping a few minutes ago, but had to find a link for more info: http://www.fierceonlinevideo.com/story/netflix-says-wii-streaming-video-launch-near/2010-03-25

What I'm curious to find out is if I will be able to install it to the hard drive I have hooked up to my Wii and lauch it via USB Loader GX like any other game. I guess I'll find out tomorrow afternoon when my disc arrives!

Just got my e-mail confirming that I will receive my Netflix streaming disc on Friday. I signed up as soon as they became available.

Snipped from E-mail

"Your free instant streaming disc for Wii should arrive by Friday, Mar 26, 2010.

Meanwhile, add movies & TV episodes to your instant Queue now so you're ready to watch instantly when your instant streaming disc arrives.

-Your friends at Netflix"

waiting for my disk also. Said it would be here on the 27th.

Not in any hurry to activate it if it screws up my homebrew.

I'm mostly worried about it wanting to do some type of update before being able to use it. If that's the case, then I WON'T BE USING IT UNTIL SOMEONE FINDS A WORKAROUND

waiting for my disk also. Said it would be here on the 27th.

Not in any hurry to activate it if it screws up my homebrew.

I'm mostly worried about it wanting to do some type of update before being able to use it. If that's the case, then I WON'T BE USING IT UNTIL SOMEONE FINDS A WORKAROUND

I really doubt that it will do any update. My Wii is already on 4.2, so I'm covered there anyway. I should have my disc in a couple of hours when my mail runs, so I'll post back here any information I can gather about how it works. As I stated earlier, I'm hoping that it is treated like any other game so i can simply install it to my Wii's hard drive and not need the disc.

Wii disk came early. Popped it into my wii player and the first thing it wants me to do is a system update..

Not happening. I'll stick to my original plan and hook up a used computer to my tv

Hmm.. this could possibly open up new ways for sceners to get around anti-piracy methods.. not to mention the fact you could rip them to a HDD :p

I already started a thread about this in BPN yesterday. I got my disc a few minutes ago, and it works great. I was even able to install it to my Wii's external hard drive and load it via USB Loader GX!

Wii disk came early. Popped it into my wii player and the first thing it wants me to do is a system update..

Not happening. I'll stick to my original plan and hook up a used computer to my tv

Mine didn't need a system update (probably because I'm already on 4.2). It works fine from the hard drive using USB Loader GX.

By the way, is there a specific reason you don't want to do the system update? It's not difficult to unlock an updated Wii (my Wii was already on 4.2 when I got it, and it too me a relatively short amount of time to softmod it).

I'm already on 4.2.

But when it says "system update" I tend to hesitate.

I tried ripping it to a usb stick via usb loader but I get a dump error and it reboots to homebrew menu.

I'm already on 4.2.

I tried ripping it to a usb stick via usb loader but I get a dump error and it reboots to homebrew menu.

Hmmm, I didn't have any problem with it on USB Loader GX (latest version) ripping it to my hard drive. I also never tried running the disc directly either though.

Of course, there isn't a cover for it available yet, so I spent a few minutes and made one myself. It looks far better on the TV than it does on the computer:

post-26908-12696403111279.png

OK, so an unnamed mod merged the threads, but of course, the thread I started yesterday got merged into this thread instead of the other way around. Now things look really odd here.

I spent a little more time cleaning up the image. If anyone else can help make this look a little better, please feel free to contribute! I just noticed that Neowin changes the filename on the image I posted, the correct name is SNTEXN.png.

post-26908-12696453480669.png

I'm already on 4.2.

Just disable check for disc updates with starpatch, priiloader, or something similar.

Just disable check for disc updates with starpatch, priiloader, or something similar.

Yeah, that's probably why mine didn't ask for the update, I already have that disabled in priiloader.

Got it all working thru USB Loader

Nice cover you got but I had to make my own.

SNTEXN.png

Cool cover! Thanks. The one someone finally posted on WiiTDB is lame.

OK, so an unnamed mod merged the threads, but of course, the thread I started yesterday got merged into this thread instead of the other way around. Now things look really odd here.

Merges go by date posted.

Merges go by date posted.

Then this thread should have been merged into mine since my thread was posted before this one (note that my post came first in the merged thread). It's no big deal, but it was also slightly annoying trying to find the thread (I had mine bookmarked) after it was merged, since there was no notice posted that the thread had been merged. Wasn't it previously standard practice for whichever mod merges a thread to send a PM to the thread starters (not to mention making a post in the thread stating that it was merged)?