D40 Dust on Sensor

I've had my D40 for a few months now. I bought the Display model for $143 from a Sears. Downside was that it was missing the body cap, so dust entered the camera. It's actually in really great condition with exception to the dust on the sensor. Normally I don't notice the dust in any of my shots, but for long exposures / really bright picture, etc. You can definitely see it. And it's too much to photoshop every time. There's a camera store nearby that wants to charge me $90 to clean. They seemed like they knew what they were doing, but there's no way I'm spending almost as much as I did on the camera just to have the sensor cleaned, lol.

I saw a kit on ebay, but I can't remember the name of it. It had some swabs, a pack of the liquid cleaner stuff, etc. I think it was Eclipse.

Is it a high risk job? The dust is clearly visible without any sort of magnification, though air isn't powerful enough to remove it. Seems like a pretty easy job... Wipe off the low pass filter with an Eclipse swab. The end? I understand it's a pretty sensitive object, but it's not like I'll be spearing the thing, right? Haha...

Just wondering what you guys would do in this sort of situation.

I've cleaned my D50 about a half dozen times using that method. Breath into the sensor to get a little moisture on it and wipe it down with the swabs. Don't push hard or create a lot of friction. Don't touch the mirror.

I don't know how risky it is, to be honest. It worked, though, and nothing was broken. I haven't had to do it on my D90, as it has a self cleaning function that works really well!

I would recommend a giottos rocket air blower first to see if you can just blow the dust off. When I have had specs I have done this in the past. The D40 doesnt have an internal fan like some of the newer dslr....

In the menus you can tell the camera to hold the mirror up. Just select this option press the release and the mirror will go up and stay up, you can then blow the dust off. Turn the camera off to release the mirror.

I would recommend a giottos rocket air blower first to see if you can just blow the dust off. When I have had specs I have done this in the past. The D40 doesnt have an internal fan like some of the newer dslr....

In the menus you can tell the camera to hold the mirror up. Just select this option press the release and the mirror will go up and stay up, you can then blow the dust off. Turn the camera off to release the mirror.

I've done that before - the dust won't come off :/

Thanks Crazy, I think I'll try and find a good deal on some Eclipse.

It might be wise to invest in a wet or dry cleaning kit for your camera.

Dry cleaning kits are easier, as you don't really have to worry about leaving any residue behind (as with wet cleaning, which, while better, is more tricky).

This is especially nice for a floor model, as sometimes people will stick their fingers in the camera, so a cleaning kit will be better suited for removing any grime that got in there. Wet especially.

It might be wise to invest in a wet or dry cleaning kit for your camera.

Dry cleaning kits are easier, as you don't really have to worry about leaving any residue behind (as with wet cleaning, which, while better, is more tricky).

This is especially nice for a floor model, as sometimes people will stick their fingers in the camera, so a cleaning kit will be better suited for removing any grime that got in there. Wet especially.

Yeah, I'm thinkin' the wet kit.

I'm seeing a few different types of Eclipse cleaner. "Type1" "Type2", and so on. Anyone know what "Type" the D40's sensor is?

Peck pads FTW! with eclipse sensor cleaner :) But peck pads usually do the trick :) I would try dry cleaning, the sensor is quite tough don't be afraid of hurting it, however the MIRROR is quite delicate so be careful with the mirror. Crazzy88 method seems ok.

I must insist though, dry peck pads will work on almost any dust bunneh stuck, unless it's some bad grime. I had a D50 cleaned it several times with peck pads, then I had it broken it got water in the chamber all sorts of grime on it, yet dry peck pads worked like a charm (The camera as a whole was broken though...).

As for the sensor type, I think it's more of a size thing, type really doesn't matter. Again, the sensor is pretty tough, just as long as you don't apply crazy brute strenght on it, but normal swiping strength is alright, THE MIRROR is quite delicate, just don't touch it, PERIOD. If the dust is in the mirror, then do definitely get it professionally cleaned, though I doubt, mirror dust is unlikely, though not impossible.

$22 here

edit. sensor types explained:

e Following Cameras use Type 1: Canon EOS 1D Canon EOS 1D Mark II Fuji Finepix S1 Pro Fuji Finepix S2 Pro Fuji Finepix S3 Pro Kodak DCS 760 Kodak DCS620 Kodak DCS620X Leica M8 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10

The Following Cameras use Type 2: Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 1D Mark III Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS D60 Canon Rebel Canon Rebel Xti Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Maxxum 7D 2 Nikon D1 Nikon D100 Nikon D1H Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D2H Nikon D2Hs Nikon D2X Nikon D40 Nikon D50 Nikon D70 Nikon D70s Nikon D80 Olympus E300 Olympus E1 Pentax *ist DL Pentax *ist DS Pentax *ist D Sony Alpha 100 The Following Cameras use Type 3: Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 1Ds Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II Contax N Digital Kodak DCS 14n Kodak DCS SLR/c Kodak DCS SLR/

Don't be afraid. Get yourself some sensor swabs and the relevant cleaning fluid and wipe away that dust/grime.

I regularly clean everyones sensor at work as they are to afraid to touch it, of course if I break it the work will just get a new one.

Bottom line is, if you send it away for cleaning the guy charging you for the service will just break out his own sensor swab and wipe clean the sensor.

Interesting, I didn't think dry pec pads would work. I'm gonna see if they sell those at the pharmacy / grocery stores around here.

When I first got the camera, there was actually a fingerprint and a weird mark on the mirror. The one that reflects into the viewfinder. Seemed sturdy to me - I just wiped it off :rofl:

I won't touch it again, though.

Well wiping is maybe ok, but liquids on the mirror is just a no no no, the reflective surface is very sensitive. Good luck with teh peck pads :) Though buying online would be a lot easier and you get the wet solution, just in case.