Is a hotmail address unprofessional for use on a resume?

I use hotmail as my main email account. Unlike most people who seem to hate it, I have no problems with it whatsoever. However, I read somewhere that it looks unprofessional to use a hotmail address for your email on a resume. Is this really so? Should I set up a new, more "professional" address just for this purpose?

For the record, my address is simply My-First-And-Last-Name@hotmail.com.

Cheers,

Jordan

It's not that bad, as long as your address is good (like you said yours is). If you had some stupid email address I would have suggested opening a new one ;)

nope... i havent experienced any issues in the corporate world mate...! :)

at the end of the day, you are tendering for a job...! if you had your own company, it would be a different story! :)

as stated above its perfectly fine so long as you are sexykitten2010@hotmail.com

No, it's a method of contact and is perfectly legitimate. And as a manner of evaluating the job, any potential employer that downgrades your application because of your email address is the kind of employer you don't want to be working for. It's like caring if your phone number is on US Cellular versus AT&T.

I use hotmail as my main email account. Unlike most people who seem to hate it, I have no problems with it whatsoever. However, I read somewhere that it looks unprofessional to use a hotmail address for your email on a resume. Is this really so? Should I set up a new, more "professional" address just for this purpose?

Cheers,

Jordan

No. You can't be more professional than FirstNameLastName@whatever.com. Just get your resume out there and study well for your interviews. Good luck!

Yes, boogerjones above is correct. You don't really want to be working for someone who cares what your personal email provider is!

If you were a company with a free webmail, then yes I would consider that unprofessional tho. It looks so lazy when you see vans driving around with hotmail addresses and wordart slapped on them.

Great. It's good to know I don't have to worry about that then. I check my hotmail multiple times daily but if I had to set up a new account, I might not remember to check it as often :pinch:

If it's My-First-And-Last-Name@hotmail.com then I don't see a problem. What kind of business are you in?

I am in I.T. so this is why I was especially concerned.

I would argue that it's fine. Hotmail, Gmail and so on offer great interraction with modern devices such as iPhones and so on - making them very much a relied upon method of communication. You can argue that the Live or Google range of web-deployed services such as calendaring, contacts, document management are very up-to-date ways to manage onesself!

I've had hotmail on mine off any on for years. It never caused a problem. As others have pointed out it shouldn't be some inappropriate label. Your firstnamelastname@hotmail.com is perfectly fine.

Cheers,

Jordan

No problem at all, provided that you do not put a funny alias or weird ("AnarchyFirst" or "PetertheRabbit").

You could put partly first partly last name very conveniently too.

I already talked to a few H.R people in France, they do not mind to receive C.V. from "free" providers (microsoft, yahoo, others).

There are no "professional" address and "personal" address.

Simply avoid a few providers of "one minute address" we use only to get a code, a registration.

:yes:

L.

As others have said, It's not generally a bad thing as long as the e-mail isn't some insane internet name like "sooprcow" :) That said, domain names are cheap and I would say that a custom domain name will give your resume a little something extra (even more so in the IT world).

I've heard of people on both sides of this argument. Somebody I was talking to said even though they had a sensible Yahoo account, the fact that it was still a Yahoo account was not inappropriate. Do you have any kind of email provided to you by your school/college/university?

I usually go with FirstName.LastName@gmail.com and it looks professional enough.

I usually go with FirstName.LastName@gmail.com and it looks professional enough.

Yeah I would say @gmail.com & @live.com look better than @hotmail.com & @yahoo.com