Is a hotmail address unprofessional for use on a resume?

More and more employers are using social networking websites as a form of "background" check. As long as your email address isn't linked to any social networking websites you should be ok. I know this is semi off topic but it raises a good point. Even if you have a "professional email alias" it still could be linked to those drunken pictures at Cancun, Mexico you don't want a future employeer to see. Yes there are privacy controls that make this harder for the employeer to achieve but it still is a reality.

More and more employers are using social networking websites as a form of "background" check. As long as your email address isn't linked to any social networking websites you should be ok. I know this is semi off topic but it raises a good point. Even if you have a "professional email alias" it still could be linked to those drunken pictures at Cancun, Mexico you don't want a future employeer to see. Yes there are privacy controls that make this harder for the employeer to achieve but it still is a reality.

Matty makes a good point...

*goes to get a nice looking email address*

I would use my custom domain name. Plus, when you send outgoing Hotmail, they stick that very unprofessional text ad at the bottom of the message.

i use hotmail. Whats wrong if its linked to facebook? as long as you have a high level of security you should be fine, its not like they can see anything if you set the settings correctly.

I'll try not to repeat whats been said already, so here's my advice: Use an e-mail service like Gmail. I find that it's perceived more respectfully than Hotmail. Also, try and make sure it isn't associated with any social networking accounts you may have.