Chrome 5 won't support AeroPeek...

It has been 7 months since Windows 7 came to the market and Chrome still doesn't support all the new great taskbar features of Windows 7. When Chrome 4 came out we all thought that Google would provide support, but they didn't. They said that they would provide support in Chrome 5...Well, guess what? It won't happen! Implementation of AeroPeek was moved to Chrome 6...

This is ridiculous and shows that amateurs are developing for Chrome...

According to hbono@chromium.org : "It is Chrome 6. I disabled my current AeroPeek code on Chrome 5 because it has lots

of problems and I noticed I needed to change lots of my code to fix them."

In other words what he is saying is:"My code was so bad, I don't have the time to fix it now because I have other priorities" - Very professional....

You can read about it here: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=38771

Hahaha, how is it unprofessional? If the browser has stability or security problems, would you rather see him work on flashy Windows 7 features?

Yes, software developers often produce code that doesn't work from the start. Microsoft developers. Apple developers. Mozilla developers. Google developers.

Edit: Wow, I see you also added your unconstructive criticism to that bug. Please leave the bug pages to developer discussions. Your "contribution" will only serve to annoy them. They know if a bug is requested by the stars/votes.

Its better to have regular releases with new features than to postpone chrome 5 for months to add aeropeek. Chrome still has alot of weaknesses in terms of customising the browser compared to firefox, its better for them to add those kind of things first instead of aeropeek as not that many people use windows 7 yet. Chrome 4.1 is pretty nice, i'm sure chrome 5 will be even better.

It's quite obvious that AeroPeek needs the code to do things it wasn't designed for. Therefore it is more a design issue rather than the code itself. They also don't say what issues the code has could be something "simple" like plugins not being shown in the thumbnails.

Either way, AeroPeek on a browser gets annoying fast, especially when you have a tab or 2 minimised/hidden and only really browsing on one and you keep switching between apps.

Hahaha, how is it unprofessional? If the browser has stability or security problems, would you rather see him work on flashy Windows 7 features?

Yes, software developers often produce code that doesn't work from the start. Microsoft developers. Apple developers. Mozilla developers. Google developers.

Edit: Wow, I see you also added your unconstructive criticism to that bug. Please leave the bug pages to developer discussions. Your "contribution" will only serve to annoy them. They know if a bug is requested by the stars/votes.

If you don't find it ridiculous that Chrome still doesn't support Windows 7, then I am sorry for you.

My criticism was fair and it just points out a fact: That Chrome doesn't support Windows 7 features. I do not want to use a browser that simply ignores the OS it is sitting on. When Microsoft or Apple (companies that develop commercial software) develop a feature, then it is done on another basis. There is always a program manager who manages a team of developers and the whole procedure is much more professional in comparison to open source development...

If the developers get annoyed by my criticism, that will be fine! Maybe they will start seeing how ridiculous they are...

It's quite obvious that AeroPeek needs the code to do things it wasn't designed for. Therefore it is more a design issue rather than the code itself. They also don't say what issues the code has could be something "simple" like plugins not being shown in the thumbnails.

Either way, AeroPeek on a browser gets annoying fast, especially when you have a tab or 2 minimised/hidden and only really browsing on one and you keep switching between apps.

Then there should be an option to disable it, just like in IE 8. I am just stating a fact here: Opera, Safari and IE8 have full support for Windows 7. Chrome & Firefox don't....Now from all these browsers, who has an open source development model?

Aero Peek is one of the flashy features which are nice to have, but not exactly a must. Google know what they're doing - they're not a bunch of amateurs hacking the browser together.

Aero Peek is one of the flashy features which are nice to have, but not exactly a must. Google know what they're doing - they're not a bunch of amateurs hacking the browser together.

Maybe you are right, but the answer of the developer was pretty much amateur.

AeroPeek is a must have feature for me.

supporting aeropeek is a matter of hours, not days

That is why I am saying that this is really ridiculous...

How is it unprofessional for a developer to have priorities? Some random flashy feature is not a priority. Standards support, performance, security are priorities, especially for the chrome team that are trying to make a lean, mean, fast browser.

How is it unprofessional for a developer to have priorities? Some random flashy feature is not a priority. Standards support, performance, security are priorities, especially for the chrome team that are trying to make a lean, mean, fast browser.

If you find his answer to be professional, then sorry but I cannot follow you.

AeroPeek is really easy to implement, but Google don't want to implement it the way Microsoft is suggesting because that would make the browser a bit slower (I can also find the discussion on their dev site)....

Exactly. And they're doing a pretty good job at it; on all three supported platforms too.

Exactly. And they're doing a pretty good job at it; on all three supported platforms too.

Opera and Safari have AeroPeek and they are also very good in supporting standards. They are also very fast...

As I said before, AeroPeek is easy to implement and Chrome should have the feature asap..

I wonder, from all of those who say AeroPeek isn't important. How many of you actually use Windows 7?

Opera and Safari have AeroPeek and they are also very good in supporting standards. They are also very fast...

As I said before, AeroPeek is easy to implement and Chrome should have the feature asap..

I wonder, from all of those who say AeroPeek isn't important. How many of you actually use Windows 7?

I'm using Chrome on Windows 7 as default browser on my netbook. And I really can't say I've used Aero Peek very often... for me it's quicker to find the tab I want to go to in the browser itself than by looking at the Aero Peek previews. YMMV of course.

I'm using Chrome on Windows 7 as default browser on my netbook. And I really can't say I've used Aero Peek very often... for me it's quicker to find the tab I want to go to in the browser itself than by looking at the Aero Peek previews. YMMV of course.

What I love about AeroPeek is the ability to quickly look at sth and then move on with what you were doing before. If I am in Outlook for example and want to see sth in IE 8, I just move the mouse over to the tab I need and then go back to Outlook. I can't do that with Chrome...

Wow, you're quite quick to jump to conclusions.

Things like this happen in closed source development all the time. Those companies that develop closed source are just better at hiding it. How many features has Microsoft not delivered on in Windows, or even Internet Explorer? Wasn't it more important that with IE7, Microsoft delivered half assed standards support and said "We'll fix it in IE8"?

If you think aero peek is a matter of a few hours, not a few days, then fix it yourself. All of the code is there for you. You seem to know what you're talking about, too, since you're able to state how long it should take to implement a feature, and how to prioritize them.

A web browser is a huge and complicated monster. Considering how solidly Google has built Chrome (see the pwn2own contest where no one knew how to hack it?), I think calling them amateurs is completely ungrounded in any fact, and just seems to be the opinion of a few guys who don't really have any idea what they're talking about.

Yes, I'm looking at you.

Opera and Safari are much older and developed than Chrome. Chrome's first public release was <2 years ago, Safari > 7 and Opera ~14. I expect the Chrome devs to focus more on getting the basic feature set (and their own goals) done before working on fluff.

P.S. No, I don't use Windows (any version).

Wow, you're quite quick to jump to conclusions.

Things like this happen in closed source development all the time. Those companies that develop closed source are just better at hiding it. How many features has Microsoft not delivered on in Windows, or even Internet Explorer? Wasn't it more important that with IE7, Microsoft delivered half assed standards support and said "We'll fix it in IE8"?

If you think aero peek is a matter of a few hours, not a few days, then fix it yourself. All of the code is there for you. You seem to know what you're talking about, too, since you're able to state how long it should take to implement a feature, and how to prioritize them.

A web browser is a huge and complicated monster. Considering how solidly Google has built Chrome (see the pwn2own contest where no one knew how to hack it?), I think calling them amateurs is completely ungrounded in any fact, and just seems to be the opinion of a few guys who don't really have any idea what they're talking about.

Yes, I'm looking at you.

I guess you are a developer...

I am just stating the fact that of all browsers that run under Windows 7, only two do not properly support Windows 7: Chrome and Firefox. You can talk about how great Chrome is for as long as you want to, but that won't change that fact!

I am not a developer and I do not think that open source development is the best dev model out there...

I know many developers which showed me how easy it is to implement AeroPeek....

I hate the Aero peek for tabs in the browsers. I don't want to peek on my tabs from the task bar. It's just irritating. If it's an option which is switched off by default, I am all for it. Good thing Chrome isn't even going to support it. So I can take a deep breath. *sigh*

Opera and Safari are much older and developed than Chrome. Chrome's first public release was <2 years ago, Safari > 7 and Opera ~14. I expect the Chrome devs to focus more on getting the basic feature set (and their own goals) done before working on fluff.

P.S. No, I don't use Windows (any version).

If you don't use Windows then of course you shouldn't care about AeroPeek.

5.0.366.2 has aero peek...?

Yes but apparently the next dev version will disable it. The current implementation has too many bugs and it seems that Google decided not to fix them now but in Chrome 6.