Why you hate windows vista?

Don't hate Vista, but it's pretty slow. 7 just blows it clean out of the water. But I'd use Vista over XP if those were the only choices. Still do on my lappy.

I dont hate Vista - I just think it was unfinished. Now that 7 is out, it feels finished and polished.

Therefore its my O.S. of choice.

I do hate vista, primarily because my only access to the net at the time was a dongle, and every few days it would suddenly lose the connection and NOTHING I did would repair the fault (RPC fault) forcing a reinstall which got very tiresome

During the BETA testing of 7, I spend a few weeks in great detail with MS sending them error logs and downloading little programs they asked me to run and send the results back to them, specifically for this bug as it was still present in 7 BETA

After weeks of emails, they repaired it ! .....But now I don't use a dongle lol Typical

I didn't hate it either. It came on my current pc... over time I started to get tired of all the issues with it. so when the beta of 7 came out I tried it and loved it... I have been using Windows 7 since it hit stores and haven't looked back.

Tried Vista, found it slow and buggy, moved back to XP.

Tried Vista SP1, found it as good as XP and kept it.

Tried Windows 7, found it faster, smoother and more easy to navigate than Vista SP1 and XP, installed and kept it.

All my software runs in Windows XP. All my software runs in Windows Vista. All my software runs in Windows 7.

My software runs fastest in Windows XP because it is the less resource intensive. Using Windows 7 does not make me use any software that I wouldn't use on XP. So why upgrade when all your stuff runs better on the old operating system anyway?

To me the operating system should fade away when your running things. It's job should be to let programs run and just be as resource light as possible. On my desktop system I run Windows 7. But the only reason I do so is because of its 64-bit support. Sure I can run Windows XP 64-bit but it sucks. Lack of drivers and compatible software. Windows 7 64-bit however is very well supported.

That is my thoughts on this anyway. If I could run Windows XP 64-bit without any issues at all I probably would.

Was using Win7, but

1. The recordings (after recording TV with this tuner) are out of sync. Its fine in Vista

2. The colour b/g bug is annoying in Win7. Its fine in Vista

3. The disappearing icons (you have to delete iconcache.db) often, and kill / run explorer.exe often to fix it. Which is annoying in Win7. If you drag it to the bottom / taskbar / whatever its called

So I've gone back to Vista x64 Ult for the time being

The only good thing is, Media center works with the tuner in Win7. It doesnt in Vista

I don't hate Vista, I loved it but not as nearly as much as I love 7. Vista always had me going back to my OpenSuse partition when I wasn't playing games. 7 made be get rid off my Linux partition, so I guess it is really really good.

I didn't hate Vista because it was slow or because I didn't have the proper hardware to run it, I just couldn't get it to run...period.

These were my specs at the time.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz (Possibly a Core 2 Quad E6300, I don't remember if I had upgraded to my Quad at that point)

NVidia GeForce 9800 GT

Corsair XMS2 4GB DDR2-800 RAM

I would consistently get the black screen even on a clean load after the first reboot. I did run Vista for a while prior to owning this machine and it worked fine.

That machine had a Pentium D, a 7800 GS AGP card, and 2GB of RAM.

Was using Win7, but

1. The recordings (after recording TV with this tuner) are out of sync. Its fine in Vista

2. The colour b/g bug is annoying in Win7. Its fine in Vista

3. The disappearing icons (you have to delete iconcache.db) often, and kill / run explorer.exe often to fix it. Which is annoying in Win7. If you drag it to the bottom / taskbar / whatever its called

So I've gone back to Vista x64 Ult for the time being

The only good thing is, Media center works with the tuner in Win7. It doesnt in Vista

1. Which Tuner card are you using? Have you updated the drivers for the Tuner card?

2. Which video card are you using, and have you also upgraded the video card drivers?

3. Has this been bugged to Microsoft?

I'm also curious to learn what your system's hardware is comprised of - like CPU / RAM / HD / Motherboard, etc.

I'm also confused about comment 1, and your last line; specifically, if the tuner card doesn't work in Vista, then how can you say that watching Recorded TV is ok in Vista but not 7? Are you recording with 7 and playing in Vista?

--ScottKin

I didn't hate Vista but I run 7 on the same hardware and 7 blows Vista out of the water in every way. It was just a poor excuse of an operating system.

That is why Vista was hated so much right there, comments like that. The problem was Vista was touted as the second coming and because of the "reset" it took a very long time to get here and people had high expectations. Unfortunately Vista was an unstable mess in the beginning with bad drivers (mainly because MS drastically changed (for the better) the driver model and manufacturers couldn't be bothered writing proper drivers for it) and that was only the beginning of the nightmare. Over time Vista got better and evolved into a very good OS (I still use it today on my laptop, runs fantastic) problem is many people never forgave MS for what happened in the beginning. Proof right there first impressions last ;)

I don't hate Vista. I never had any of the problems everybody else claimed to have; all of my hardware installed "out of the box," and I only updated my video driver to ensure the best performance in gaming. It ran fantastic. The only issue I had was I didn't like UAC to the point where I felt I had to disable it completely to get a hassle-free environment. 7 is just better in many ways (I'm using UAC now, for a start). If you can run the latest version of Windows why would you want to run an older version?

I've had plenty of gripes with Vista. Some were it's downright horrible performance, which I'll give credit where its due as it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be with the latest service pack. Some was its super-aggressive resource usage. Others were just horrible design choices in the UI.. the navigation sidebar thingey in the file manager for example is downright awful to work with. Stability was a crapshoot at best; granted, not always Vista's fault as some drivers were pretty immature, along with older software trying to fit into the new scheme of things. Compatibility was also a crapshoot, but again, not entirely MS's fault there. In the end, it was a constant hassle to just get things done, constantly having to do little tricks here and there just to get things running properly. Plus the whole thing was a major overhaul of the internals, so there was going to be a lot of "growing pains."

Vista's fairly stable now and the "suck level" has dropped quite a bit, but it's just too late. To be honest, it's a moot point. 7's out, and MS has pretty much nailed it. If you're an XP diehard, thats fine, stay with XP, at least till 2014 anyway, just don't be surprised when new software doesn't run on it. If you like the new stuff, 7 is amazing.. performs better than XP (especially on multi-core and/or 64 bit platforms), looks and feels better than XP and Vista, and is just all around much more pleasant to work with. Vista is kinda the odd-man out, you'll either pick "old reliable", or "the latest and greatest".. why pick the one in the middle that has no place to go but the recycle bin?

Windows Vista was a delightfully stable experience for me but at the same time it was also blood-boilingly slow. I still remember, toward the bitter end as it only got slower and slower, waiting 20 seconds for Firefox to open or 3 minutes for the piece of crap to fully come out of hibernation. My biggest revelation was when a 4 year old Mac at work opened Photoshop files with more than 100 layers faster than my brand new (and top-end) PC could open Photoshop itself.

I am rocking a MacBook Pro now and could not be happier.

1. Which Tuner card are you using? Have you updated the drivers for the Tuner card?

2. Which video card are you using, and have you also upgraded the video card drivers?

3. Has this been bugged to Microsoft?

I'm also curious to learn what your system's hardware is comprised of - like CPU / RAM / HD / Motherboard, etc.

I'm also confused about comment 1, and your last line; specifically, if the tuner card doesn't work in Vista, then how can you say that watching Recorded TV is ok in Vista but not 7? Are you recording with 7 and playing in Vista?

--ScottKin

1. Avermedia Volar X is the tuner (its a freeview / DVB-T / USB tuner). Yup the drivers were the latest drivers (WHEN Win7 was installed)

2. ATI HD 4550 atm. 512 mb, with VGA/HDMI/DVI. Yup video drivers are the latest ATI drivers. And were the latest drivers (WHEN Win7 was installed)

3. Nope. But Avermedia were advised, they did try and fix it. BUT even with the last version of the tuner drivers it didnt fix it properly (the recordings being out of sync). Watching TV was fine however, recording was fine on all BUT 2 channels here.

Specs of this system dual core 2.8 (E630) 8 GB ram. 250 GB Seagate SATA 2. ASUS P5Q SE/R. Using Vista x64 Ultimate atm

AverTV was installed (the program that came with the tuner (the version on CD works fine with Vista inc x64. BUT its not compat with Win7 x64). Avermedia DID fix this, with later versions of AverTV. BUT, recordings (using AverTV), were still out of sync (with 2 channels)

I use AverTV (in Vista). And also record with it. So, this tuner DOES work in Vista, it doesnt work with Media Center (in Vista)

The tuner works fine (with Media Center in Windows 7, but it also lags, when changing channels). Vista Media Center wont recognise the tuner (because, from what I've read you need the TV Pack (which only comes with OEM systems). This isnt an OEM system. I brought the parts, then put it together

Over time Vista got better and evolved into a very good OS

The problem is performance issues still remain. Few days ago I was installing a fresh, licensed Vista with all latest updates / service packs on the old laptop of a friend (1.8 DualCore with 1024MB RAM) - when starting up, system loads for eternity and, when it finally finishes scratching the HDD, it's almost impossible to even do every-day things like running Microsoft Office, browsing and stuff - everything takes decades to load, freeeeeeeeezes, etc. Then I got mad and I changed it with my copy of Windows 7 and now it works like charm. Vista was a failure, admit it already.

I dont hate Vista... i liked it but there are few things which made me angry when i used it like the UAC which prompted every time i do something.

I like windows 7 more than vista where Microsoft has fixed all these small annoyance which makes the user feel better.

I am sure all would have noticed about the copying issue etc.. and with sp2 all these issues are fixed.

Drivers was also a problem since developers have not yet released drivers for vista.... cant blame vista for that really...

I never hated Vista. In fact, I NEVER had any technical isssues with it. I loved the new Aero interface, it did give me the "wow" factor and it felt like a really modern OS. I also loved the eye candy, BUT at times I found myself overwhelmed by the overuse of gradients (green + blue + yellow? :wacko:) and branding overload (Windows boot animation, Windows "swoosh" animation, etc). Also the UI was overloaded with text and more text.

People new to computers hated using Vista because there were sooooo many options and buttons to click at any given time, and they were right there in your face all the time. It feels like you are inside a cockpit and there are all these buttons to explore :pinch:

The one thing that always bugged me about vista and still bugs me about 7 the few times I see it, is how the screen goes Grey during the UAC prompt. Now don't get me wrong, I love UAC and i would never turn it off. But back in the XP days if your screen goes black even just for a second, it is usually followed by a bluescreen. So when I'm using vista and 7 and my screen blacks out for even 1/2 a second before seeming a UAC prompt, it freaks me out.

That is a feature that stops malware from clicking yes for you on a UAC prompt. Many Linux distros have this feature too, including Ubuntu.