Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Beta 2 leaked screenshots

Looks tons better than 2008, can't wait until the final version is released!

Especially with Microsoft Messenger 8.0 with yummy video goodness for all :)

It looks really good. Shame it will still be a while before it's released, though. But Office 2011 and Adobe CS5... 2010 is going to be a great year for software updates! As for Office 2011, it's nice to hear that Outlook will be replacing Entourage (although the two products are similar, really) and that VB will be back, although I don't really know how useful that will be for me.

I prefer the office icons on mac compared to windows, IMO they should use the mac office program icon set on the windows ones, they are so much cleaner.

Windows and Mac OS X have different design philosophies, and I find that Mac-like icons don't look good on Windows and vice versa. These icons are nice, but it's because they work well with the Aqua UI. Placing them onto a UI designed around Aero would just make them look weird, I think.

Like how they show the product key in one of the screenies. whistle.gif

It's a beta, the keys will eventually expire soon. And if it's a close beta, they will probably expire as soon as the next beta is released.

who cares about UI... does it ran fast?

We'll find out soon enough considering the beta leaked onto the web. ;) It seems it is Intel only. The PPC-erra has come to an end quickly. Oh well...

Especially with Microsoft Messenger 8.0 with yummy video goodness for all :)

Well if the beta of MM 8.0 is anything to go, I wouldn't hold your breath. Hopefully the final version will actually work. rolleyes.gif

screenshot20100412at183b.png

The interface is extremely quirky. Looking at how Office 2008 turned out I have little hope this will fundamentally change before the final version comes out. I'll probably stick to iWork.

lol, it actually looks stunning. The ribbon looks like it will work really well. After the half-arsed glitzy 'ribbon' in 2008, I thought it was destined to fail on the Mac platform.

I can't stand how the Ribbon works when a window isn't big enough to show everything. Things get cut off and you won't get an arrow to scroll to the other items that are hidden from view. When working with Office 2011 it still doesn't feel like a real Mac app, just like it was the case with 2008, 2004 and X.

That is, with the exception of Outlook. It seems to be a nearly perfect Mac app.

I can't stand how the Ribbon works when a window isn't big enough to show everything. Things get cut off and you won't get an arrow to scroll to the other items that are hidden from view. When working with Office 2011 it still doesn't feel like a real Mac app, just like it was the case with 2008, 2004 and X.

Surely thats a bug and needs fixing. unsure.gif

Well, I remember using a Microsoft Office 2008 beta back in the day and expected many interface quirks similar to the one above to be fixed. We all know how wonderfully that turned out... :/

I don't care how it looks, I just hope this time it works! Not like the 2008 *****! Microsoft are **** ******* and also ******* ******!

Works fine here... Original version was crappy but it has improved a great deal since then...

I've "acquired" it, but I'm not sure if I should install it. Doesn't seem to be much. :p

Well you can run it alongside Office 2008 without a problem and it's very easy to get rid of.

This is definitely a serious work in progress. I'm laughing every time I click "My Day" in the toolbar in Outlook and it thinks I want to compose a new message.

That being said, I see no reason to use Outlook, personally, over Mail, iCal, and Address Book. It's a nice looking application, but there are no must-haves that I couldn't just get for free with Snow Leopard (like Exchange 2007 support).

This is definitely a serious work in progress. I'm laughing every time I click "My Day" in the toolbar in Outlook and it thinks I want to compose a new message.

Probably why you aren't supposed to have a copy, eh?

That being said, I see no reason to use Outlook, personally, over Mail, iCal, and Address Book. It's a nice looking application, but there are no must-haves that I couldn't just get for free with Snow Leopard (like Exchange 2007 support).

I feel the same way. Also there is this level of OS integration that Address Book, iCal and Mail offer that Outlook can't.

Probably why you aren't supposed to have a copy, eh?

Oh, I fully understand. Not blaming them. Just funny that that toolbar button somehow wound up tied to the New Message window.

From what I understand Outlook has been written from scratch instead of being just a rebranded version of Entourage 2008. That's probably also the reason why it's the only application that lacks those weird interface glitches the rest of the application suite is suffering from.

PS Office 2011 contains a new Messenger 8 build branded as "beta 2" that has working display pictures and file transfer. No interface update though... It also seems more stable, but still lags when closing windows. At least it doesn't crash on my Mac after five minutes of use...

Well if the beta of MM 8.0 is anything to go, I wouldn't hold your breath. Hopefully the final version will actually work. rolleyes.gif

Pardon? what isn't working? you have to make sure that the person you're contacting is using the latest and greatest version of Messenger available - could you please give information on where it is failing.

Well, I remember using a Microsoft Office 2008 beta back in the day and expected many interface quirks similar to the one above to be fixed. We all know how wonderfully that turned out... :/

In fairness though it was a massive change and Office was filled with old legacy code that needed to be replaced/re-written so there was so loss of performance in the transition. I just hope that in the 2+ years they've been working on it that they've addressed the issues along with the merging of Visual Basic support back into Office 2011.

From what I understand Outlook has been written from scratch instead of being just a rebranded version of Entourage 2008. That's probably also the reason why it's the only application that lacks those weird interface glitches the rest of the application suite is suffering from.

From what I also know that the other parts of Office is a mixture of Carbon and Cocoa, hopefully Microsoft get their act together and Office 2013 is going to be 100% Cocoa or otherwise users will be left high and dry as Apple retires the Carbon framework in favour of Cocoa.

PS Office 2011 contains a new Messenger 8 build branded as "beta 2" that has working display pictures and file transfer. No interface update though... It also seems more stable, but still lags when closing windows. At least it doesn't crash on my Mac after five minutes of use...

That is interesting, with the working display and file transfer, does that mean Microsoft has re-written Microsoft Messenger from the ground up or have they ripped out the old protocol support and re-write it to support the latest Live Messenger protocol? it sounds as though MBU is doing some heavy lifting as so far as getting the core technologies updated. If the result is a Intel only suit that is fast, robust and reliable then I'll be very happy :)