Which lens would be the better bet?

Hi all!

I recently got a Nikon D3000 as my first DSLR, and it came with an 18-55mm VR AF-S lens. The camera is working great, but I also need a good zoom-telephoto lens. I'm looking at two different lenses, but I'm having difficulty making a final decision.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/486717-USA/Nikon_2166_AF_S_DX_VR_Zoom_Nikkor.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/207359-USA/Nikon_1928_AF_Zoom_Nikkor_70_300mm.html

Now obviously, the 70-300mm will be able to provide more zoom, and is cheaper. However, the 55-200mm has built in vibration reduction, which is a tempting feature for me.

I typically do a lot of outdoor photography, so I imagine the shutter speed would be fast enough where any vibration wouldn't be picked up. However, I was wondering if the camera would be more sensitive to vibration at the higher focal lengths (250 to 300mm). In addition, I occasionally do some indoor photography (sometimes when flash is not allowed), so the shutter speed would be significantly slower. I also rarely use a tripod unless I'm doing long exposure shots.

So I'm wondering if in my situation would the higher focal length of the 70-300mm lens outweighs the loss of the VR function.

On a side note - I'm aware that the 70-300mm lens won't autofocus on the D3000. I've been using manual focus since about two days after I got the camera, so the lack of autofocus isn't really a con for me.

Well it all boils down to:

Longer Focal length or VR

For shiny outdoors @ 300mm isn't a problem, but for a grar day non vr 300mm will probably be slow and blurry ( unless you up teh ISO ).

I'd go for longer focal length. In the end, you can place the camera on a tripod, but you can't add an extra 100mm to a 200mm.

If you're only choosing between those 2 lenses, I'd go with the 55-200. If you'd be willing to get the 70-300VR lens, then I'd suggest going for that one. The 70-300VR is around $550 though. I have the 55-200VR right now and it's definitely a great lens when I have good lighting. I am looking to also get a 70-300VR lens though just for the extra reach.

I typically do a lot of outdoor photography, so I imagine the shutter speed would be fast enough where any vibration wouldn't be picked up. However, I was wondering if the camera would be more sensitive to vibration at the higher focal lengths (250 to 300mm). In addition, I occasionally do some indoor photography (sometimes when flash is not allowed), so the shutter speed would be significantly slower. I also rarely use a tripod unless I'm doing long exposure shots.

As a rule of thumb it's always good to have 1/focal length for your shutter speed to cut blur.

So focal length of 70mm try to have at least 1/70 sec. Focal length of 300mm try to have 1/300 sec. shutter speed.

As a rule of thumb it's always good to have 1/focal length for your shutter speed to cut blur.

So focal length of 70mm try to have at least 1/70 sec. Focal length of 300mm try to have 1/300 sec. shutter speed.

Did not know that! (Y) (Y)

Why not get this: http://www.bhphotovi...0mm_f_2_8G.html

Haha, jokes aside, you should also consider this: http://www.bhphotovi...5_6_APO_DG.html It'll give you AF and 1:2 "Macro"

Oh, and the exact same 70-300 lens you posted is also listed at a lower price http://www.bhphotovi...r_70_300mm.html

Wow

$ 2,299.00 And not even free shipping :p

+1 on the Sigma

Having owned the 55-200 VR for about a year an a half, it's a great lens. I think our situations are a bit different, but I can try and help. I personally would never buy a zoom lens without VR. It is really really helpful for getting nice sharp shots without a tripod (most occasions). So, for the VR reason alone, I would go with the 55-200 VR over the 70-300. However, if you do like to do a lot of outdoor photography, the 300mm might come in handy. You can always move closer I guess. I think the ability to autofocus would be nice to have though too. Anyway, good luck with you search.

Here's a couple "outdoor" sets on flickr I shot with only my 55-200 VR and D40.

Gallery - Frozen Morning

Gallery - Marina

I also agree that autofocus is definitely a plus to have. While I'm sure you can get by without it, it makes things a lot simpler and you'll have one less thing to worry about when trying to capture your image.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've decided on the Sigma. Until this afternoon I was leaning towards the 200mm VR, but then I went up to a local shop to pick up a camera bag and the guy pointed out a rather good fact to me:

VR is only useful in low light situations, such as being indoors (I already knew that), but chances are if you're indoors you're taking a picture of someone/something in action, in which case VR wouldn't do much anyway.

I knew that VR didn't do much for action, but I never actually put two-and-two together and realized that in most situations where you'd need VR, it wouldn't work anyway. So with that in mind, Sigma it is. Thanks everyone!

I also agree that autofocus is definitely a plus to have. While I'm sure you can get by without it, it makes things a lot simpler and you'll have one less thing to worry about when trying to capture your image.

?

Actually, could anyone tell me the difference between the Sigma lens and this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/550953-REG/Tamron_AF017NII_700_70_300mm_f_4_5_6_Di_LD.html#features

They both have the same range, a macro switch, and AF compatible with the D3000, but the Tamron is $40 cheaper. Is there any advantage the Sigma would have over the Tamron?

Sigma

58mm

f/Stop Range

4-22/5.6-32

Minimum Focus Distance

59.7" (37.4" in macro)

Magnification

1:2 (in macro)

Zoom/Focus Control

Two-Touch

Angle of View

34-8°

Groups/Elements

10/14

Length

4.7" (119mm)

Maximum Diameter

2.9" (74mm)

Weight

1.3 lb (584g)

TamronFilter Size

62mm

f/Stop Range

4-22

Minimum Focus Distance

4.9' (1.5 m)

3.1' (0.95 m) in macro mode

Maximum Magnification

1:2

Angle of View

34 to 8°

Groups/Elements

13/9

Length

4.6" (117mm)

Maximum Diameter

3" (76mm)

Weight

1 lb (458g)

For specs, you'll notice "groups/elements" on the Sigma is 14/10, probably glass/blades elements IIRC, more glass inside and/or higher quality glass. I for one owned that exact same tamron, feels cheap like hell, BUT gets the job done. Sharpness @ 300mm is NOT tack sharp, but with proper post processing it give out nice images (again @300m). In the end, you get Cheap and long reach :)

There several lens review sites eg. dpreview that you can check out ( not sure if they have that specific sigma lens, but hey, google is teh limit)