Crysis 2 PS3 'performs better than 360 version'

Crytek has admitted that its getting "slightly more performance" out of the PS3 version of Crysis 2 than the Xbox 360 edition.

However, the studio's business development boss Carl Jones said he was confident the game would become the best-looking title "on every platform".

The studio has previously revealed that it overcame problems squeezing the game's massive CryEngine 3 onto console.

However, it went on to claim that the game's graphics were the best you'd ever see on console - something CVG's own experience of the Xbox 360 version backed up.

Our man Ryan saw just a snippet of gameplay running on PS3, and said it looked exactly the same as the 360 version. But now it appears that over the course of the title, Sony's system might have the edge.

Jones added that Crytek had no difficulty developing for the PS3 in comparison to the 360.

"We haven't found it more difficult to develop for PS3," he told CVG sister magazine PSM3.

"We're lucky in the fact that we've come to the generation slightly later than other people - the ones who were trying to build the first technology and games were surprised at how different the PS3 was. We took our time and worked out the right way to approach it.

"At the moment, we're getting slightly more performance from PS3 compared to 360. I'm very confident that products using CryEngine 3 are going to come out as the best looking, or at least in the top three, on every platform."

Source: www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=242728

That is a nice change, it is unfortunate that they can't get the performance the same on both consoles at the moment but to hear that the PS3 can perform better with this game than the Xbox 360 is refreshing considering the other reports we hear on most multi-platform games. Although, the news says it is only a slight difference so I guess most won't tell the difference to be honest.

I think I can confidently say that this will look best on a PC. PC whoops a consoles ass anyday of the week.

Doesn't the Xbox 360 have a much better color palette and frame rate consistency compared to the PS3? In that case, a few fps difference doesn't actually matter as it'll look better on a 360 without the fps drop.

I think I can confidently say that this will look best on a PC. PC whoops a consoles ass anyday of the week.

Doesn't the Xbox 360 have a much better color palette and frame rate consistency compared to the PS3? In that case, a few fps difference doesn't actually matter as it'll look better on a 360 without the fps drop.

The game is being built up from the ground engine wise for all platforms, therefore with no ****ty porting involved consoles can be pushed to their limits individually without any lower common denominators of the other platform(s).

Most likely the difference will be slightly better texture work in places on the PS3 due to no restrictions in disc space.

Also as for your FPS comment, nothing below 30FPS for Crysis 2.

Nope. Not sure where you heard that.

That is a nice change, it is unfortunate that they can't get the performance the same on both consoles at the moment but to hear that the PS3 can perform better with this game than the Xbox 360 is refreshing considering the other reports we hear on most multi-platform games. Although, the news says it is only a slight difference so I guess most won't tell the difference to be honest.

I'm sure by the time it's done, it'll be neglegible if any differnce at all.

The game is being built up from the ground engine wise for all platforms, therefore with no ****ty porting involved consoles can be pushed to their limits individually without any lower common denominators of the other platform(s).

Most likely the difference will be slightly better texture work in places on the PS3 due to no restrictions in disc space.

Also as for your FPS comment, nothing below 30FPS for Crysis 2.

I doubt textures is where there'll be a difference.

Having more storage space for textures doesn't help when there isn't enough memory to use higher res texture :) Most likely it's due to the way the cryEngine has allways been designed with multicore usage in mind. Crysis has always been a game that's unusually CPU dependant and performs a lot better on multiple cores, whereas other games are more GPU dependant.

It will probably be negligable at best, in the same way that unless you pause and zoom in on FF13 the experience is pretty much the same on both consoles.

As Crytek say they have come to the platform late with their engine and probably have access to a lot of PS3 coding info that wasn't available at the start. This is what is helping them build a decent engine it seems. :)

It will probably be negligable at best, in the same way that unless you pause and zoom in on FF13 the experience is pretty much the same on both consoles.

As Crytek say they have come to the platform late with their engine and probably have access to a lot of PS3 coding info that wasn't available at the start. This is what is helping them build a decent engine it seems. :)

FF13 is pretty obvious, it's not only textures, lower resolution and missing shadows. It's a very bad engine build for 360.

Negligible differences would be stuff like Bioshock/Burnout/Mirrors Edge/etc.

It'll probably kill PCs still.

It'll kill my PC :(

Will probably have to buy it on a console if it's any good.

That being said Warhead runs pretty well on my PC, so there's hope!

I hope my Q6600 & Ati 4850 will be able to run it reasonably.

Whats your PC specs Audioboxer?

E6600 @ 3.4GHz

512mb GeForce GTS 250

4GB 1100hz Ram

I should be fine as long as it's not a complete monster over Warhead.

hmm I just showed a 5870 into my mediacenter.

which requires somet tricks, since it was technically to long so I had to remove the HDD box first, then guide it in around the card.

but now I "can"play really good looking games on the htpc too (well the 8800 is now playing WAR on full on my desktop so it wasn't that bad before but :p) and as bonus, my 360 transceiver means I can play games on it just like my xbox :p

I doubt textures is where there'll be a difference.

Having more storage space for textures doesn't help when there isn't enough memory to use higher res texture :) Most likely it's due to the way the cryEngine has allways been designed with multicore usage in mind. Crysis has always been a game that's unusually CPU dependant and performs a lot better on multiple cores, whereas other games are more GPU dependant.

Not really, ce2 only utilized two cores and was definitely way more gpu dependent than cpu dependent... :huh:

hmmm actually unlike a lot of games today, not having a powerful enough cpu for it killed the game no matter what gpu you had. YEs of course it still had monster GPU requirements, but just having that didn't help.

Nice. Sounds like they plan on bring the Xbox 360 version up to speed with the PS3 version before release, making them the same. Great news.

If a game is fully optimized for the platform

PC > PS3 > Xbox360 > Wii

However, this is not always the case.

For a long time Xbox360 developed and ported to PS3 did not fully utilize the system.So those games the PS3 game look as good, or worse then the 360 version.

It is looking like however, PC/PS3 based developed games have to be "downgraded" slightly to the Xbox360.

I think the reason this is happening now, is due to the fact developers have reached a point they can actually develop for the PS3 potential, since programming for it is very different then programming for a PC/360.

If a game is fully optimized for the platform

PC > PS3 > Xbox360 > Wii

However, this is not always the case.

For a long time Xbox360 developed and ported to PS3 did not fully utilize the system.So those games the PS3 game look as good, or worse then the 360 version.

It is looking like however, PC/PS3 based developed games have to be "downgraded" slightly to the Xbox360.

It's most likely PC > PS3 = Xbox 360 > Wii.

It's most likely PC > PS3 = Xbox 360 > Wii.

(Not sure why forum code showed up)

PS3 blu-ray allows for larger space and several developers have compressed graphics to make it fit on dvd's (and not wanting to put out more discs on the manufacture side of things) for the 360, but has it uncompressed on the ps3. I do think when looking at a software fully optimized for ps3 system can provided a better game then a fully optimized 360 system, however I don't think there that far apart. Ex with Final Fantasy 13, PS3 looks better, when compared, however if you don't compare the 360 version still looks great.

All the more reason to play it on a PC if you have a decent one. Too bad the PC version is being dumbed down a sense for the consoles though. I'll be pumping this through my PC to TV so I can play in 1080p. Can't wait!

(Not sure why forum code showed up)

PS3 blu-ray allows for larger space and several developers have compressed graphics to make it fit on dvd's (and not wanting to put out more discs on the manufacture side of things) for the 360, but has it uncompressed on the ps3. I do think when looking at a software fully optimized for ps3 system can provided a better game then a fully optimized 360 system, however I don't think there that far apart. Ex with Final Fantasy 13, PS3 looks better, when compared, however if you don't compare the 360 version still looks great.

Storage space is meaningless unless you nejoy loading screens for every room.

the PS3 doesn't have the hardware capacity to really make use of the increased storage space over the 360.

It can't load bigger/more textures. in fact the 360 is far more capable as far as high res textures go. it can't load bigger 3D models, not enough ram again. it's got a weak GPU, so it can't gloss over it with effects, however it can use the more powerful "CPU" to even out the GPU/CPU difference. making the two platforms even. But that still leaves it underpowered to use the storage space.

the only place the storage space is really useful is for games with very long games, that are split up over multiple smaller levels anyway. where the 360 can use multiple disks anyway.

The best games technically this generation have come from PS3 devs, so I don't know what all this talk about the hardware not being powerful enough comes from.