HTC Desire

That case seems a good tip and my brother has an older HTC Hero which he loves and he suggested the first thing I do is get a case. So for 6 quid, meh.

I am very anxious! Don't think ive been like this since i ordered my N95 8GB 3+ years ago, which is the phone I am currently replacing with the Desire.

To make matters worse, the laptop I'm thinking of buying to replace my Toshiba Satellite Pro is this:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ASUS_N61JV_JX081V_Core_i5_Laptop_N61JV-JX081V/version.asp

Which, as you can see...sold out! realmad.gifrealmad.gif

Yeah its a whole "update my technology" drive I'm currently in before I move over to Australia in July ;) My Desire and (hopefully) that Asus Laptop should make me a very happy bunny!

The Desire does not trickle charge. Once the battery reaches 100%, the charging stops and the battery starts to run down. The phone will not automatically start charging again until you unplug and plug the charger back in.

Where did you get that information?

My phone has been on the cradle for half the day now and still reads 100%.

I cannot comment on cradles, and wasn't commenting on cradles.

It's the same with the Nexus One, when mains charging using the chargers in the box, you reach 100% and the battery will then start to discharge. Noticed it at work on the Nexus One today after realising my phone was at 95% after being left on charge over night.

Well I have a mains charger at work too on the Desire and it too stays at 100% once it reaches 100% The same goes for the 12v car charge. It would be silly for the phone to not recharge once the battery starts to get used otherwise people using it for satnav and the like would have to unplug and replug it every now and then to keep the charge.

Maybe it's a Nexus One fault on your device.

Well I have a mains charger at work too on the Desire and it too stays at 100% once it reaches 100% The same goes for the 12v car charge. It would be silly for the phone to not recharge once the battery starts to get used otherwise people using it for satnav and the like would have to unplug and replug it every now and then to keep the charge.

Maybe it's a Nexus One fault on your device.

I have the Desire, not the Nexus One. I work for Vodafone, so tested both and got the same results.

Maybe it won't charge until it hits 90% but I can assure you that my Desire and the Nexus One get to 100% then stop charging as the lightning bolt leaves the battery!

Edit - Just tested my HTC Magic with a 2.1 ROM, and that does the same. Would appear to be a safety feature built in to Android for v2.1.

The lightning bolt goes away yes but my phone remains at 100% at all times on all 3 charging mediums. The official HTC Battery Info widget says:

battery.jpg

Interesting, will have to watch closely.

Can I ask how you take screenshots on the Desire? :-)

Ah excellent. Have you managed to activate the voice search functions yet? ;)

Voice search and voice to text keyboard (same as nexus one) (modified HTC_IME) but I don't use them any more as I prefer the Swype keyboard and voice search was more of a novelty than anything else for my uses!

There is a work around to get the authorised versions from the Nexus One. It doesn't require any modified files. :)

Just bought the Desire for ?399 from Play.com! Unlocked of course.

I havent been this excited since I got my N95 8GB more than 3 years ago.

Now I have to acquaint myself with Android Apps. What are the top (5)? essential ones I need to get?

How does one put them from my laptop to the Desire?

• Handcent - very full featured SMS client for Android.
  • 3G Watchdog - realtime network usage information. If you have an "unlimited" plan with an acceptable use policy or a limited plan, 3G watchdog is essential. It tells you exactly how much data you've used and you can tell the app how much data you get per month then it will display a green/yellow/red icon in the notification bar to give you a visual indication of how you're doing for data that month.
  • National rail (the official one is by far the best; well worth the ?4.99) / london tube apps if you use them!
  • Shazam - listens to music and then tells you what it is.
  • Games - tetris, bejewelled, solitaire, ...basically hundreds of them in the market.

I prefer the HTC IME keyboard compared to the stock Android one though as it's more pleasing to look at and feels better!

I have the Desire, not the Nexus One. I work for Vodafone, so tested both and got the same results.

Maybe it won't charge until it hits 90% but I can assure you that my Desire and the Nexus One get to 100% then stop charging as the lightning bolt leaves the battery!

Edit - Just tested my HTC Magic with a 2.1 ROM, and that does the same. Would appear to be a safety feature built in to Android for v2.1.

It definitely does trickle charge.. my phone reaches 100% battery after about an hour on the charger, but I leave it on charge overnight (about 7-8 hours) and it's still full the following morning.

I stand corrected.

• Handcent - very full featured SMS client for Android.
  • 3G Watchdog - realtime network usage information. If you have an "unlimited" plan with an acceptable use policy or a limited plan, 3G watchdog is essential. It tells you exactly how much data you've used and you can tell the app how much data you get per month then it will display a green/yellow/red icon in the notification bar to give you a visual indication of how you're doing for data that month.
  • National rail (the official one is by far the best; well worth the ?4.99) / london tube apps if you use them!
  • Shazam - listens to music and then tells you what it is.
  • Games - tetris, bejewelled, solitaire, ...basically hundreds of them in the market.

I'll let my friend know as he was in charge of making it! We tried to get him to reduce the price as well but he didn't listen :p

Would appear that the device does trickle charge, however whenever you do something on the device the battery level will automatically drop to 89-95% and then shoot back up to 100%, giving the impression its not. :-)

Its here!!

Plugged it straight into the mains...how long do I leave it there for now? And is it safe to switch on yet? The wee light is orange.

Got a 4gig card with it too which is nice, although I have my 8gig microsd all ready with my music installed.

^ congrats mate. (Y)

I dunno, i turned mine on right away while charging...i don't care much about if it damages the battery or not, 2 years warranty anyway.

Its here!!

Plugged it straight into the mains...how long do I leave it there for now? And is it safe to switch on yet? The wee light is orange.

Got a 4gig card with it too which is nice, although I have my 8gig microsd all ready with my music installed.

Switch it on by all means.

The battery doesn't hit optimal performance until 5-6 cycles anyway.

Nexus One style Neoprone cases on eBay for ?1.45 each, I ordered 2 and they came today along with a car holder (?9.99).

Absolutely fantastic!

htc_desire_carmount1.jpg

htc_desire_carmount3.jpg

htc_desire_androidpouch2.jpg

htc_desire_androidpouch3.jpg

Oh and a new wallpaper!

desktop_android.jpg

• Like 2