Do those "anti mosquito" programs actually work?

Ive seen alot "anti mosquito" programs which emit sounds that we humans cannot here but the mosquitos can because it is a higher frecuency. Do they actually work?

If so, can you recommend a free Java based one? Thanks.

lulz wut? :rofl:

I seriously doubt some program on your PC is gonna keep mosquitos away.

Its for my phone.

This is similar to the device that was implanted to keep young teens away from malls.

*sigh* People just don't get it.

What it does is emit a high frequency noise from the speakers to annoy them so much they don't come near you. They do work, HOWEVER:

The speaker in your phone, and those you would use on your computer can not actually move quickly enough to emit this frequency. There are dedicated mosquito repellant keychain devices that can emit this frequency, and they will work fairly well, but not 100% by any means. Honestly, I find a repellant high in DEET to work far better than them, but a combination is still best yet

• Like 2

Let me get this straight. You want to keep mosquitoes away ......

... from your computer?

nvm

From myself. My cell is on my night table so it is near me.

What it does is emit a high frequency noise from the speakers to annoy them so much they don't come near you. They do work, HOWEVER:

The speaker in your phone, and those you would use on your computer can not actually move quickly enough to emit this frequency. There are dedicated mosquito repellant keychain devices that can emit this frequency, and they will work fairly well, but not 100% by any means. Honestly, I find a repellant high in DEET to work far better than them, but a combination is still best yet

Thank you for understanding and the only real helpful post :)

Well I guess if my cell cant do it, Ill try with my computer :) I have (good) speakers so I might as well try it out right? If it works, great. If it doesnt, oh well.

+1

Theoretically they work, but very few devices can supply those high frequencies.

Well I don't feel like we should feel inadequate for not "getting it" when some guy asks for a software-based mosquito-repellent.

home made mozy repeller:

11r3z9g.jpg

thats so badass lol

btw who is that girl in your signature ?

and to the op yes i kno exactly what you're talking abt, we used to have the ringtone in our cells back in high school to **** off the teacher, by turning it on, the whole class would go crazy, but the teacher couldn't hear it, and he would be like what's going on, and then when he would find out what it was, he would even get more ****ed :laugh:

this thread makes me laugh. I doubt your computer speakers can make the required fequency either. Also not that you probably care but don't ya think a constant sound emmitting from your phone would be hell on your battery life?

home made mozy repeller:

11r3z9g.jpg

Pretty good :)

Anywhere I can find more information?

this thread makes me laugh. I doubt your computer speakers can make the required fequency either. Also not that you probably care but don't ya think a constant sound emmitting from your phone would be hell on your battery life?

Thought I replied to this....

My speakers are 7.1 so I imagine that they are not your standard mom and pop speakers and can actually reproduce high frecuencies.

My phone is plugged in all night so it would not affect battery life.

Anywhere I can find more information?

check out your local electronics hobbyist store for mosquito/insect repeller kits, usually quite cheap.

for a PC you can get the 12V dc through a molex plug.

you need a proper Piezo buzzer/tweeter that can reach to 50khz to be effective, ordinary tweeters in speaker systems peak out at ~20-30khz.

have fun :cool:

check out your local electronics hobbyist store for mosquito/insect repeller kits, usually quite cheap.

for a PC you can get the 12V dc through a molex plug.

you need a proper Piezo buzzer/tweeter that can reach to 50khz to be effective, ordinary tweeters in speaker systems peak out at ~20-30khz.

have fun :cool:

Intesting.

How about the PCB? Where could I get something like that? Will any PCB do and just connect them with wires?

Using sound to repel mosquitoes is so 90's... I love the smell of fried mosquitoes in the morning :p

:laugh:

Its for my phone.

This is similar to the device that was implanted to keep young teens away from malls.

which actually kind of backfired. I remembered getting that 'ringtone' and showing it to my classmates in college - the old people couldn't hear it, while the young people could - making it perfect as an alternative to silent or vibrate to let people know they had a call.

ya, if you can't solder, just get a breadboard

And NO, your 7.1 speakers WILL NOT WORK. As stated, they can not reach a high enough frequency

That actually looks great :)

What would you recommend that or a stripboard for this?

And its too bad there isnt anything small than a PC PSU (AFAIK) to provide 12V to make this a bit more portable :(

Thanks alot to everyone that is trying to at least help :)

I believe this has NOTHING to do with it as I imagine it is refering to clock frequency but...........

Due to large stray capacitance (from 2-25pF per contact point), high inductance of some connections and a relatively high and not very reproducible contact resistance, solderless breadboards are limited to operate at relatively low frequencies, usually less than 10 MHz, depending on the nature of the circuit. The relative high contact resistance can already be a problem for DC and very low frequency circuits. Solderless breadboards are further limited by their voltage and current ratings.

hey how about you stop sleeping outdoors and get an apartment/room somewhere? i don't get it!! why do you need to get mosquitos away? are you around them all day?

Thread cleaned

hey how about you stop sleeping outdoors and get an apartment/room somewhere? i don't get it!! why do you need to get mosquitos away? are you around them all day?

I've been places before where I've slept indoors and been bitten.

That actually looks great :)

What would you recommend that or a stripboard for this?

And its too bad there isnt anything small than a PC PSU (AFAIK) to provide 12V to make this a bit more portable :(

Thanks alot to everyone that is trying to at least help :)

I believe this has NOTHING to do with it as I imagine it is refering to clock frequency but...........

a stripboard would be a lot better...if you can solder. This is actually the first I've heard about those problems with breadboards. I've made countless projects on them before transferring them to either a stripboard or proper pcb and never had an issue.

Why not get a cheap 120v ac to 12v dc wall plugin and power it off that? Note: I just used that site to demonstrate, go hunt around for one

I personally think they don't...

I downloaded an app called Dog Whistle - it produces high-pitched tones that are meant to alert dogs. No dog I have tried it on even reacts. I just don't think the speakers are up to reproducing the tones needed.

So it keeps the pregnant ones away -- what about ones looking for some action?? ;)