Photographic Advice.

Okay, I like photographing people of different cultures its one of my favorite things to do.

But I have a few concerns.

I want to photograph people of the Muslim faith and culture.

But I want to know if there are any things I need to know on what I can and cannot do.

I don't want to just go up and start photographing without knowledge of what I can do to respect their culture.

Well, you should probably know that a great number of them will consider photographs of living beings to be against their religion. There is no single "Muslim faith and culture" though, so this will vary.

It is a good idea to ask permission if you're gonna shoot people's faces muslim or not. Other than that, coming from a muslim society, they don't have any "special stuff" about photography, nothing that other people don't have.

Well, you should probably know that a great number of them will consider photographs of living beings to be against their religion. There is no single "Muslim faith and culture" though, so this will vary.

What? :blink:

What? :blink:

There are a number of hadith references that strongly condemn reproductions of living beings created by god. Technically to prevent the worship of them. For some people this translates to photography in the modern world. The issue here is like I said that you cannot treat "Muslims" as one homogeneous group or culture.

The answer to his question depends entirely on where he is, and what particular culture and school of Islam we're talking about. The best way to get an answer to his question would be to find a local Muslim organization and ask there. You want to know the customs of the exact people you're dealing with.

I think that is the important point to make here, rather than get into any discussion about Islam.

Seeing as he lives in Pennsylvania, I don't think that's going to be too big of a problem unless he travels to very conservative places of the globe...

Actually Crazy, I have family in the military and I fly with them wherever they go.

So I am not just in PA only. Before making judgements my family is taking a trip over to Egypt this summer.

I wanted to travel around over there and photograph the cultures.

Also just because I live in PA doesn't mean there isn't culture.

We have Italian Laden area where there are people whom showcase it often.

But back on topic.

I just wanted to know mostly if there was anything in the Muslim faith at all that wouldnt allow photography of them.

It just came out more complicated of a question then was meant.

1.) That's why I added the "unless you travel" part.

2.) I never said there wouldn't be culture in PA. I was just implying that most people living there would be used to cameras since they're pretty common in the US compared to a little village in a 3rd world country. Sorry if you were offended.

Actually Crazy, I have family in the military and I fly with them wherever they go.

So I am not just in PA only. Before making judgements my family is taking a trip over to Egypt this summer.

I wanted to travel around over there and photograph the cultures.

Also just because I live in PA doesn't mean there isn't culture.

We have Italian Laden area where there are people whom showcase it often.

But back on topic.

I just wanted to know mostly if there was anything in the Muslim faith at all that wouldnt allow photography of them.

It just came out more complicated of a question then was meant.

Egypt? Heh, you'll be fine. It would be easier if you asked first though, some people don't like that, doesn't matter where.

You need to go somewhere outside the city, I know a few places if you're interested.