EOS Rebel T1i

I am looking at possibly purchasing the below camera. Anyone have any opinions or suggestions?

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/products?m=gp&pid=889

This will be my first ever DSLR so also I would love to get some suggestions on a site for beginners.

Can't see a reason you wouldn't like it.

Just an FYI with photograph gear: Spend the money on the lenses, and not the bodies. You'll go through a new body every 1-3 years while lenses should last 10+.

Check the price difference between the T1i and the T2i, the T2i is about $50 more in the US and is much better since it shares the 7D's sensor.

? Check the price difference between the T1i and the T2i, the T2i is about $50 more in the US and is much better since it shares the 7D's sensor. ?

I'm not so sure it's "better". I was quick to want to trade in my T1i for a T2i upgrade, but IQ is not very good, compared to T1i or 7D (obviously) because of the MP count. But if you are wanting to do alot of video capturing, it may be worth it for the t2i. Otherwise I would go with T1i, or if you don't need video at all, even go with a cheap XSI and get a good lens.

I was quick to want to trade in my T1i for a T2i upgrade, but IQ is not very good, compared to T1i or 7D (obviously) because of the MP count.

Well, dpreview (along with every other review I've seen) would beg to differ with you:

After extended use of the EOS 550D, one of the most impressive things about the camera is its consistency. The 550D can be relied upon in almost any environment to deliver pleasant, well-exposed images, and although it obviously can't match the likes of the EOS 1D Mark IV or the Nikon D3S at its highest ISO setting of 12800, it is measurably better than its predecessor the EOS 500D, despite a hike in resolution. This is impressive in itself, but the fact that the 550D also brings an improved video mode (equal in the essential points to the current best video-enabled DSLRs on the market) will come as music to the ears of Canon users looking either to upgrade from a 1000D or 450D, or to 7D users looking for a (relatively) inexpensive backup camera.

Source: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/page29.asp

I own the T1i (as my first ever DSLR) I like it.. make sure you get other lenses for it though.

Anyone got any opinions on the Olympus E-620?

Cost mainly. Finding it hard to shell out over 1K on my first DSLR, I feel I should start smaller.

Have you consider Nikon? the D5000 is around $500-$600 with kit lens Or even the XSi from Canon...

If you as me, I would go with anything Canon/nikon/sony (Same sensor in some cases) for ISO performance which is what I wanted.

Also you should look at the pentax K-x excellent performance all around, decent video for less than $550 kit lens

lol what a coincidence..I just published my review on the Revel T1i (EOS 500D)last night on my blog. It's my first DSLR camera (Canon lended it to me for a few months) and honestly I'm loving it. They're going to exchange it to 550D or the 7D soon

Overall a great quality camera even on ISO1600 indoor and it can record up to 1080p full HD video (but the auto focusing kinda sucks). It has a different navigation than a Nikon kamera but my friends who have the D90 says that the T1i is lighter than the D90 + quality is about the same (debatable)

I don't know where you are shopping but any of these camera's are $800+ Canadian.

Ended up getting the T1i. Staples had it on sale for $20 more the the XSi I went in after.

Ended up getting the T1i. Staples had it on sale for $20 more the the XSi I went in after.

Nice, make sure you share what you capture with it

Any suggestions on a cheap telephoto lens? Maybe something 200mm or 300mm. Been seeing a lot of Sigma lenses, they any good?

Any suggestions on a cheap telephoto lens? Maybe something 200mm or 300mm. Been seeing a lot of Sigma lenses, they any good?

The sigma 70-300mm APO is of good repute for around two hundred and something dollars.

• 5 weeks later...

I would suggest getting your camera through best buy online. You can apply for their credit and get a no interest plan for between 18 and 24 months. That is fantastic. Additionally you can shell out some extra dough to get an extended warranty. I personally have been looking at the Canon 7D in comparison to the T2i. A lot of the analysis I have seen shows that the 7D has significantly better performance in lower light with ISO levels about 1600. Additionally the ISO settings in the 7D have 2/3 stop levels so you can go from 100 to 160 for example, whereas the T2i only has full stop levels, 100 to 200. This simply means you have more flexibility in low light conditions. As for deciding between the T1i and the T2i I would highly suggest you get the T2i as the price is very comparable ($100 difference).

I dunno, don't you think the 50D is already obsolete because of the T2i? It feels like the only major difference between the T2i and the 50D is the shutter speed and the burst shot speed 6FPS compared to 3.7FPS. Plus the difference in price from the T1i to the 50D is a bigger jump of about 300 bucks instead of 100. Unless you are doing sports photography it doesn't make sens to go with the 50D over the T2i. Just my opinion.

I dunno, don't you think the 50D is already obsolete because of the T2i? It feels like the only major difference between the T2i and the 50D is the shutter speed and the burst shot speed 6FPS compared to 3.7FPS. Plus the difference in price from the T1i to the 50D is a bigger jump of about 300 bucks instead of 100. Unless you are doing sports photography it doesn't make sens to go with the 50D over the T2i. Just my opinion.

The 50D does require a replacement soon, but it also has the advantage of the professional body with twin dials over the T2i.