Why don't some people like ordering online?

Pardon my stupid question, but I always get this same stupid statement from people- ?I don?t order anything online!?

As you know, many movies are coming out in Combo packs now (ie both DVD and BD together) for a good price. A good example is the famous ?Avatar? movie. WB and Disney are doing this a lot now with a lot of their new releases.

I know many co-workers and friends that don?t currently own a Blu-ray player, but plan to get one in the future. But they still insist on buying the DVD version only instead of the Combo DVD/BD pack. For example, one of my co-workers bought the DVD copy of Avatar for $20 at a B&M store. I said to him, ?Why not just buy the Blu-ray version? It comes with a DVD.? He replies, ?I don?t have a Blu-ray player and the Blu-ray version is a whopping $30!!? I then mentioned that he could?ve gotten it at Amazon for $20, the same price he ended up paying in the store for the DVD-only version. His response- ?I don?t order anything online!? I ask why. His reply- ?I just don?t.?

Believe it or not, that statement is very common and never once have I gotten a straight answer as to why. I?ve had better experience ordering online than buying in-store. Return policy is even friendlier too. And I know it requires waiting, but the money you save makes up for that.

So, maybe someone here can clarify this for me since I never get a straight answer from people. Why do some people make it a practice to never order online? What?s so bad about it?

Fear of the unknown. Fear limits many people's lives, but infinite love is the the only real truth. Love and fear are polar opposites, with love there can't be fear, with fear there can't be love. If these people would learn to live in a constant state of love they would have no fears, but instead many people live their life in a constant state of fear where they can never experience love.

they dont want to have their credit card details stolen.

Valid reason. That's why I always recommend using linux for online ordering and banking, windows just isn't safe.

I'm someone who buys things online all the time but I guess if you really want a few reasons not to order something online.

- Having to wait for a product to be shipped out to you (sometimes you want an item now)

- Having to go pickup the parcel from a depot if you weren't home when it was mailed

- Sometimes it costs money to ship

- Ordering from another country can sometimes lead to duty fees

- If you do have a problem, it's more of a hassle to return something online than just take it back to the store

- You are someone who isn't familiar with reputable sites or don't know which ones to order from

- Sites like ebay can sometimes take a fair bit of work and due diligence to ensure you aren't going to get screwed over

- You aren't sure which product you want and would rather check it out in person

- You would rather deal with local stores as opposed to a conglomerate like amazon

- You want advice from sales staff that are more knowledgeable

- Or you just plain don't like using credit cards to pay for things (or don't have one)

I don't buy on-line as much as I buy off-line and not as much as I used to. For me, its mostly for convenience. I can spend as much time ordering and waiting for an item as I would if I went out to the shops to find it, and some cases, longer because I'm searching. for cheaper and reputable places on the internet. Sometimes it can be a hassle if its not delivered on the date specified as I have to make arrangements again. There have times where I have bought things in shops there and then and I would have been able to buy them cheaper on the internet but then compare difference between saving some money and spending more time. Plus shops have the advantage of being able to see the items in person. I have ordered things from the internet after seeing them in the shops because they had a huge price difference.

So irrational fear.

No, its a valid reason which can be countered with education. People should be wary of on-line transactions and need to be vigilant. If they don't want to use their details on the internet, then thats ok, but when they do, they need to have the right information to know what to look out for and how to deal with fraud. Banks will provide them with information they need to protect themselves and maybe provide them with a different card with relevant guarantees and protection.

I don't order online because when I want something, I usually want it today. I'd rather walk or drive to my local store than pay for shipping just so that I can sit around and wait. Heaven forbid that they ship the wrong product, use the wrong address or it arrives DOA.

It's nice to be able to see and touch the product before you buy it. If it needs to be exchanged then it isn't much of a hassle.

I have ordered a few things online but it isn't my first choice. Sometimes I order online and then pick it up. That works too but not every online store would allow this.

They have good reason to be afraid. Home computers are typically infested with malware. Most of the time they get their CC numbers stolin not because of the website but because.

A) They are idiots and are duped into giving out their credit card number to a total non legit product.

B) They have malware running on their machine capturing their keystrokes.

Here is what would happen, a person gets a Fake AV warning, gives them their credit card number then proceeded to order something off a legit website. Then they get a call from the credit card company saying their credit card number has been stolen. They then blame ordering online as the issue.

qwexor got it right.

Most people I talk to dont order online because they are afraid that someone might take their card details.

+1, why my mom doesn't like to do much (Dad does all the time) - but she did have checks stolen so she has some reason to stop and think for a sec. even though its way different circumstances its still financially related.

Because they are still scared that they will never recieve their product.

These are the reasons I hear the most.

Most common reasons i know of

A) Afraid of losing their money to fraud.

B) Afraid they will not receive their product.

C) Simply because they do not understand it.

This is how I manage online.

Prepaid Visa/Mastercard, with Exactly the amount on it I need. If somehow my card information is taken then I only lose exactly the amount on it and nothing more. Also these cards are insured just like an official card.

Because they are still scared that they will never recieve their product.

Or that they'll receive the product and somebody will swipe it off their doorstep/porch.

Two reasons I see. The first one being you just don't like giving out your credit card online. I know Amazon is trusted, but not everyone knows that yet. The second one is patience. I hate waiting for things to ship.

I have ordered a few things online but it isn't my first choice. Sometimes I order online and then pick it up. That works too but not every online store would allow this.

I order everything online as I don't have to pay sales tax. The rare times I can't order (because it's the weekend), I go to Fry's.

Or that they'll receive the product and somebody will swipe it off their doorstep/porch.

It's easy to add shipping instructions so the order has to be signed for.

It's easy to add shipping instructions so the order has to be signed for.

Then you have to be home. Combine this with the fact that you aren't sure what day they will actually deliver then you need to be prepared to be home for a few days.

Dumbest. Reason. Ever.

Why?

Because your credit card information is far safer on a reputable site than it is in most stores, resturants, or hotels.

Then you have to be home. Combine this with the fact that you aren't sure what day they will actually deliver then you need to be prepared to be home for a few days.

I guess that depends on who you order from and what shipping method they use. Nearly every place I've ever ordered something from gave me tracking information so I knew EXACTLY what day something was arriving, and I generally know roughly what time the FedEx, UPS, and post office delivers to my house.

qwexor got it right.

Most people I talk to dont order online because they are afraid that someone might take their card details.

And for most Joe Blow computer users, THAT should be the #1 reason. At least they are showing SOME common sense!!

And also for the above posted reason, qwexor got it right.

I guess that depends on who you order from and what shipping method they use. Nearly every place I've ever ordered something from gave me tracking information so I knew EXACTLY what day something was arriving, and I generally know roughly what time the FedEx, UPS, and post office delivers to my house.

You can track the progress online but I have found that "out for delivery" doesn't necessarily mean today. It did arrive the next day however.

Perhaps it would be better with the most expensive delivery options but then you aren't saving much. It's great to say that you got a movie for only $20 so long as you casually forget to mention the $10 paid for shipping. I'd rather have my money go to provincial taxes because then they are reinvested into health and education.

I do order stuff online, but if I can get it in a nearby store, I prefer to buy it from there. I like being able to use the thing I bought as soon as I have paid for it. :-P Unless I get a hugely better deal from the online store.

I'm someone who buys things online all the time but I guess if you really want a few reasons not to order something online.

- Having to wait for a product to be shipped out to you (sometimes you want an item now)

- Having to go pickup the parcel from a depot if you weren't home when it was mailed

- Sometimes it costs money to ship

- If you do have a problem, it's more of a hassle to return something online than just take it back to the store

- You aren't sure which product you want and would rather check it out in person

- You would rather deal with local stores

I do not order anything online. Only thing I purchase online is stuff from iTunes and the exact reasons I do not were covered by qwexor. (See above)

My main reason is when I want something, I want to see it first hand, look at it, play with it, etc, and then purchase it and walk out the store with it in my hand. I do go online to look at reviews of a product, and I search for the best deal on the product from a brick and mortar store, then I go out and purchase it.

You can track the progress online but I have found that "out for delivery" doesn't necessarily mean today. It did arrive the next day however.

Perhaps it would be better with the most expensive delivery options but then you aren't saving much. It's great to say that you got a movie for only $20 so long as you casually forget to mention the $10 paid for shipping. I'd rather have my money go to provincial taxes because then they are reinvested into health and education.

It probably depends on where you live. I personally have never seen something say "Out for delivery" and NOT gotten it that same day. And thats with ordering 90% of my computer parts through newegg, 60% of books and other various small items through Amazon, and ordering things (like laptops) from Dell and other companies. I have had times where 3 days in a row something was being delivered at my house, and I have tracked every single one of them. Not once has any of them said out for delivery and then came the following day.

I have lived in 6 different states and have never seen something not delivered when it says "out for delivery", but I can understand it happening if you live out in the middle of nowhere.

EDIT: I virtually buy everything online unless I need it that same day. I only shop at reputable places (Newegg, Amazon, Dell, etc), and I typically buy things that I do not need that same day (only things I have went to buy at a store was a power supply when one went out and I needed my system back up that day, and a few other small things). I am always careful of where I order from, and someone is always at the house to receive it, so thats not an issue. And its so easy to get a CC company to reverse charges that its not really much of an issue if someone does get your details. Its an inconvenience to call them and sort it out, but a few hours on the phone at the worst saves plenty in gas and wear and tear on you vehicle compared to running out to a store every time you need something.

I also find that shipping costs no more than the tax and extra cost you pay in the store.....90% of the time what you buy in a store is cheaper on line at very reputable places, shipping is no worse than paying the tax you would have paid in the store, and you still save money off of it.