Time to upgrade from D40!

I have a Nikon D40... I really enjoy using it when I can and for the money it's a great starter camera for anyone. The menus are easy to use; it's very versatile, it's light, its small and just all around fun to use. The only thing I have found with it is the limitation of lenses available at reasonable prices. I currently own the standard 18-55mm & Nikon AF 50mm. Problem is that the D40 does not have a built in motor so can only Auto-Focus on lenses with the motor built in (AF-S). I don't want to spend nearly £500 for the 50mm AF-S as that's totally out of my price range.

I am very much looking at going with Canon because of one of the main points that the motor is built into the body rather than lenses. This gives me great freedom for choice of lenses I presume. I feel very limited with my D40 and with the lenses I've got and the shots I would like to take I haven't got much choice really. I'm looking to sell my current setup and upgrade to something above the D40.

I am really just looking for another entry-level DSLR that gives me much more choice. If it's a Nikon it will need to be AF-S though. I would like to have HD Video recording, just as an option really but if that's out of my price range then that's cool. Please give me some ideas people just need something else to have a think about.

My budget = £400-600.

Thanks all!

If I remember correctly... the Canon does NOT have built in motors. That was why Nikon got rid of it in the D40, to match the size of the canon rebels, I think. (somebody correct/verify this for me?)

But don't expect too big of an upgrade going from a 400 pound entry level camera to a 2 year new 400 pound entry level.

I have a Nikon D40... I really enjoy using it when I can and for the money it's a great starter camera for anyone. The menus are easy to use; it's very versatile, it's light, its small and just all around fun to use. The only thing I have found with it is the limitation of lenses available at reasonable prices. I currently own the standard 18-55mm & Nikon AF 50mm. Problem is that the D40 does not have a built in motor so can only Auto-Focus on lenses with the motor built in (AF-S). I don't want to spend nearly ?500 for the 50mm AF-S as that's totally out of my price range.

I am very much looking at going with Canon because of one of the main points that the motor is built into the body rather than lenses. This gives me great freedom for choice of lenses I presume. I feel very limited with my D40 and with the lenses I've got and the shots I would like to take I haven't got much choice really. I'm looking to sell my current setup and upgrade to something above the D40.

I am really just looking for another entry-level DSLR that gives me much more choice. If it's a Nikon it will need to be AF-S though. I would like to have HD Video recording, just as an option really but if that's out of my price range then that's cool. Please give me some ideas people just need something else to have a think about.

My budget = ?400-600.

Thanks all!

I thought THe more expensive nikon cameras have built in motors. The nikon d40 doesnt have a built in motor to save money.

Hmmm maybe Im confused.. Its not so much about upgrade really its choice. The d40 has such limited choice of lenses for good prices that its a hard time searching for ones that are compatible.

I can easily get a D90 body for ?500.. is that not much of a difference ?

HUGE difference. The D90 shares the same sensor as the nikon D300s, a pro camera. They're not even comparable.

So exactly what "choice" of lenses are you looking for, anyway? You complained about the 50mm f1.4 being too expensive, but what about the 35mm f1.8? It's about $190.

A D90 body would be a better choice than another entry-level camera. AFAIK Nikon and Canon do not have built in motors in all of their range, Sony and Pentax do, and I'm not sure about Olympus.

A D90 body would be a better choice than another entry-level camera. AFAIK Nikon and Canon do not have built in motors in all of their range, Sony and Pentax do, and I'm not sure about Olympus.

The D40/60/3000/5000 are the only nikon cameras withOUT a built in motor. D70 80 90 100 200 300 700 1 2 3 etc all have built in motors.

But again, exactly what lenses are you looking for? AF-S only nikon cameras have been around for 4 years now, and the lens range is quite good for Nikon brand lenses and 3rd party lenses.

Im looking ideally for a wide angle lenses primarily for Landscape shots. The 50mm is of course of out the question, the 18-55mm can do an ok job but really more suited for general use. I would like to totally ditch using the 18-55mm. Im into my long exposure and night time shots.

Maybe I am just looking at things the wrong way, I just thought seeing as the D40 is the lowest entry level nikon that it would be majorly limited.

Ok... so you want to replace the 18-55 with a SUPER wide, like a 12-24, 11-16, 10-24 etc? Or replace it with a higher quality lens like a 17-55 f2.8?

All of those lenses I listed are at least $400+

Welcome to photography; it's not cheap.

The D40/60/3000/5000 are the only nikon cameras withOUT a built in motor. D70 80 90 100 200 300 700 1 2 3 etc all have built in motors.

OK, I think what I said was ambiguous, I meant to say that Nikon and Canon have some cameras that do not have motors and others that do "Not all of their range has built-in motors" would have been more adequate, while Sony and Pentax have built-in motors in all of their cameras.

a higher quality lens like a 17-55 f2.8?

Are you talking about the Tamron or Sigma 17-50 f/2.8? Or is there a Nikon brand 17-55 f/2.8?

I've been seriously considering replacing my Sony 18-70 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens with the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

I'm talking about either the tamron 17-50 f2.8 or nikon 17-55 f2.8. I own the tamron and it's pretty good. They have a new VC (vibration compensation) version that i hear is awesome for about $600. The nikon version is ~$1500.

OK, I think what I said was ambiguous, I meant to say that Nikon and Canon have some cameras that do not have motors and others that do "Not all of their range has built-in motors" would have been more adequate, while Sony and Pentax have built-in motors in all of their cameras.

ah, ok.

Well I done some research like I should of in the start and found this post on DPreview forums.

Crossposting this from an old thread in the D40/D80 forum: Just to show that the lens choices for the D40/D40x are not as limited as many believe. Actually there is a selection of 23 Nikon AF-S lenses and 17 Sigma lenses (16 HSM and the 80-400 OS) that are fully compatible with the D40 and D40x AF and a FL range from 10mm to 800mm.

Regards

Walter

Nikon AF-S lenses:

12-24/4 DX

17-55/2.8 DX

18-55/3.5-5.6 DX I

18-55/3.5-5.6 DX II

18-70 DX

18-135 DX

18-200 DX VR

55-200 DX

17-35/2.8 AF-S

24-85/3.5-4.5 AF-S

24-120 AF-S VR

28-70/2.8

70-200/2.8 VR

70-300 VR

105/2.8 VR

200/2 VR

200-400/4 VR

300/2.8 VR

300/4 AF-S

400/2.8 AF-S

500/4 AF-S

600/4 AF-S

Sigma HSM lenses:

10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC

12-24mm F4.5-5.6

17-35mm F2.8-4 DG

50-500mm F4-6.3 DG

50-150mm F2.8 EX DC HSM

70-200mm F2.8 DG MACRO

80-400mm F4.5-5.6

100-300mm F4 DG

120-300mm F2.8 DG

300-800mm F5.6 DG

14mm F2.8 EX

30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM

150mm F2.8 EX DG

180mm F3.5 EX DG

300mm EX DG

500mm EX DG

800mm f5.6 EX DG

Maybe there is a lot more choice of compatible lenses than I thought. I think its that I just like buying new electronics all the time!

Maybe there is a lot more choice of compatible lenses than I thought.

Exactly. :p

i think its that I just like buying new electronics all the time!

well photography is the place for that then, you just gotta know where to spend it so it's not a waste :)

Thanks for your tips crazy! Another D40 thread wont hurt anyone lol. I will be investing in a wide lens very soon. Got some great countryside around me so will be good to capture some of it!

Now Im thinking wide Im also thinking about a Fish-eye also... got my eyes on a few. I know fish-eyes are really all for effect I have a few ideas to experiment with though.

eh, I'm really anti-fish eye. I think they're silly.

However, in regards to the wide angle, I have to say I highly recommend Tokina. My tokina 12-24mm F4 is great and they also have a 11-16mm f2.8 which is even better. And, sigh, they also make a fish eye :p

I guess I go for realism in my photos, so that's why I'm not a big fan of fish eye. Even distortion at 12mm bothers me and I was looking for away to fix it last night :p

Also, I feel that the lens is pretty limiting, at least for my uses. It's all personal preference. :)

Also, I feel that the lens is pretty limiting, at least for my uses. It's all personal preference. :)

Its very true you are limited with the fish eye, its really a gimmick. It can be used though for some great landscape wide shots. I love the way it warps rooms as well, can see me experimenting with some Panoramics.

I may get one of the below though with another lens.

Samyang 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...5644cc4fffdff25

Peleng 8mm f3.5 Fisheye

http://www.rugift.co..._nikon_lens.htm

I've read great reviews on the both but not really seen much difference between them to pay more for the peleng. Will more than likely go for the Samyang.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of fish-eyes either, there are very few cases in which fish-eye lens photos look good (or better than the equivalent regular lens)

I love the way it warps rooms as well, can see me experimenting with some Panoramics.

Maybe I suck with post processing (OK, actually I REALLY suck with post processing) but I'd think the distortion caused by fish eye lenses won't work well with stitching panoramics. Ive had trouble even with my super wide at 12mm, let alone a fish eye!

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I suck with post processing (OK, actually I REALLY suck with post processing) but I'd think the distortion caused by fish eye lenses won't work well with stitching panoramics. Ive had trouble even with my super wide at 12mm, let alone a fish eye!

Check this out:

http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/fisheye,panorama

I just love how some of the pics look I know some look over the top but I just love the distortion it gives... I think I may swap my 50mm 1.4 for the 35mm 1.4 AF-S as I can then use auto-focus! :D.. Also will probably get he Sigma 8mm still.

Hmmm maybe Im confused.. Its not so much about upgrade really its choice. The d40 has such limited choice of lenses for good prices that its a hard time searching for ones that are compatible.

I can easily get a D90 body for £500.. is that not much of a difference ?

I'm looking to get a D90 and I'm saving for it at the moment. If I could get it for £500, I'd be able to get it a bit sooner. Where did you see it at that price?

Cheapest I've seen is Jessops at £610 with a £60 send in refund from Nikon...

By the way, most of those pics you linked to are stitched together panoramic, I don't think you can really get a lens which is THAT wide! At least not for less than thousands of pounds.

I'm looking to get a D90 and I'm saving for it at the moment. If I could get it for ?500, I'd be able to get it a bit sooner. Where did you see it at that price?

Cheapest I've seen is Jessops at ?610 with a ?60 send in refund from Nikon...

By the way, most of those pics you linked to are stitched together panoramic, I don't think you can really get a lens which is THAT wide! At least not for less than thousands of pounds.

Well ?500 was a bit low but you can get it here for ?549 + ?7.99 delivery which ain't bad at all!

http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product.asp?ProductID=5761&gclid=CIHj_6yI3qECFZFh4wod7CsPKQ

I am looking more into compatible wide lenses for my D40.. in a couple years when I have more experience I will look into upgrading my body.

Not bad at all, I'd found it for less than that but the reviews for the site I found it on were hit and miss, this site seems more reputable, thanks :)

BTW, does "European Stock Therefore No Cashback Just Cheap Prices"

Mean that I wouldn't be able to claim the £60 cashback from Nikon?

(sorry for hijacking your thread a bit :blush:)

Not bad at all, I'd found it for less than that but the reviews for the site I found it on were hit and miss, this site seems more reputable, thanks :)

BTW, does "European Stock Therefore No Cashback Just Cheap Prices"

Mean that I wouldn't be able to claim the ?60 cashback from Nikon?

(sorry for hijacking your thread a bit :blush:)

Basically you wouldn't need to claim the cashback, they have either already done it or you are unable too probably explaining the cheaper price! lol.. thats my guess anyways. Seems like they offer 5 year warranty as well!