Meet Firefox 4.0.1

Wow, a candidate for a Beta :rolleyes: When are they going to release the candidate to the candidate of the Beta? :laugh:

• Code Freeze: 11/04
  • Builds Start: 11/04
  • QA: 11/04 - 11/09 (estimate)
    • Smoketests and BFTs using Mozmill: (1 person)
    • Manual smoketests, BFT areas, and Other OS Spot Checks: 11/04-11/09 (3 people)
    • Testday: 11/05 (3 people monitoring)
    • Accessibility: On-going (1 person)
    • Top Sites Functionality and Page Load Testing: Before 11/09 (1 people)
    • Updates checks: Before 11/09 (1 person)
      • Manual spot checks as necessary

Seems like tuesday is the day (in Indian system , it would be called 9/11)

Although i have been using Minefield on my very old Office PC and only Beta 6 on my home PC. Beta 7 makes using Firefox on my Home PC enjoyable again.

For now, the speed difference is no longer substantial between Firefox and Opera / Chrome. Page Rendering and JS are still little slower. But i cant live with that, for all the great extensions and awesome bar.

Beta 7 still not released

No, it's not. The schedule was already posted a few posts back.

Wait until approx Tuesday, or risk installing the build1 candidate.

Hello,

As I just D/L and installed the FF4.0b7 RC1 build, but was curious as I wanted to update my sig @mozillaZine Forums--->it use to be:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:2.0b6) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0b6

However now when I go to help--->About

resizedmm.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any ideas where a 'string would be'...? lol

Any ideas where a 'string would be'...? lol

It's stupid that they removed the string from the about box, but you can still see it by typing

about: in the urlbar.

Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0b8pre) Gecko/20101106 Firefox/4.0b8pre

It's stupid that they removed the string from the about box, but you can still see it by typing

about: in the urlbar.

Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0b8pre) Gecko/20101106 Firefox/4.0b8pre

Thanks crispkreme...:) It was getting me kind of annoyed on this nice Saturday afternoon...lol! I could not find it anywhere...

Note: the build strings in main releases (beta, final) will always show Gecko/20100101 now, to avoid 'fingerprinting'.

You answered my next question...lol

As I was wondering why the Beta 4.0 builds showed Gecko/20100101, with (IIRC) Beta 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6..

Thanks Kirkburn

Note: the build strings in main releases (beta, final) will always show Gecko/20100101 now, to avoid 'fingerprinting'.

People were using it as a version identifier for some strange reason, random sites would break every year since they didn't expect the year increase of nightly builds and such.

By freezing it on a set date, they'll force those people to either update their code, or make it never have an issue again (unless they then remove the fake date which I think is the general plan)

People were using it as a version identifier for some strange reason, random sites would break every year since they didn't expect the year increase of nightly builds and such.

By freezing it on a set date, they'll force those people to either update their code, or make it never have an issue again (unless they then remove the fake date which I think is the general plan)

hmm shouldn't they just do it in one go rather than risking two potential breakages?

Taken from buildnotes page. Here is what is left to be done before beta 7.

Final checks before push

Virus check

Update Bouncer

Push to mirrors

• Wait for email from driver before continuing

Final verify

Push snippets to beta channel

Remove index.html files

Release

Will Beta 7 be the first one with JaegerMonkey? I've been using the nightlies so I haven't kept track of the milestones that well.

Yup.. if no blockers are found. Beta 7 should be released within the next couple of days. looking forward to beta 7 myself.