Meet Firefox 4.0.1

It looks to me like the new UI still has a long way to go. Doesn't the Add-Ons tab and the Preferences window still need to completed?

It looks to me like the new UI still has a long way to go. Doesn't the Add-Ons tab and the Preferences window still need to completed?

Yes...it is a complete mess right now.

yeah they say early 2011 but what happens if they run into more delays..

to be fair, the original plan was to have 3.7 and then release 4.0. So it makes sense the plans are not as stable as you'd expect

If your using beta 6 it is only human to be discouraged. It hangs & is slow! Since they merged Jaegar Monkey into 4.0b8pre there is new life. Almost all of the positive comments are from those who are using 4.0b8pre. That should give you an idea of what to expect for those struggling with beta 6. If you dare try 4.0b8pre, DO NOT disable compatibility with extensions or you will experience nightmares. There's a handful of working extensions on Mozilla that are listed as compatible. I used "application compatibility reporter" & my beta 6 extensions hosed 4.0b8pre. If unsure what extensions can be "forced to work" without breaking firefox, just ASK! All of us have broke Ff at least once and learned what works & what doesn't. Probably should be thread of it's own. "Extensions that are working with force 4.0b8pre" ?

If your using beta 6 it is only human to be discouraged. It hangs & is slow! Since they merged Jaegar Monkey into 4.0b8pre there is new life. Almost all of the positive comments are from those who are using 4.0b8pre. That should give you an idea of what to expect for those struggling with beta 6. If you dare try 4.0b8pre, DO NOT disable compatibility with extensions or you will experience nightmares. There's a handful of working extensions on Mozilla that are listed as compatible. I used "application compatibility reporter" & my beta 6 extensions hosed 4.0b8pre. If unsure what extensions can be "forced to work" without breaking firefox, just ASK! All of us have broke Ff at least once and learned what works & what doesn't. Probably should be thread of it's own. "Extensions that are working with force 4.0b8pre" ?

Beta 5 = Beta 5

Beta 6 = Beta 5 w. bug fixes

Beta 7 = Beta 7 w. certain parts of Beta 8

Is the little tabs issue fixed in the latest minefield? I never liked how slow to open/close the tabs were in comparison to 3.6.

I know it's all nightly/beta and whatnot, but that was like the only thing keeping me from using the nightly full-time.

Is the little tabs issue fixed in the latest minefield? I never liked how slow to open/close the tabs were in comparison to 3.6.

I know it's all nightly/beta and whatnot, but that was like the only thing keeping me from using the nightly full-time.

Yep, that bothers me too. I think its because of HW acceleration of layers still being bugged. This also causes corruption in "about:config" context menus.

Setting "layers.accelerate-all" to "false" turns off acceleration of layers (without turning off DirectWrite and Direct2D).

This solved the corrupted context menu problem and slightly increased tab responsiveness for me. YMMV.

For overall tab responsiveness, you can turn to false this: "browser.tabs.animate;false"

For now at least. It's getting a bit better, more responsive.

Does anyone else get "uncloseable" tabs? I close them but they still show up in Tab Candy.

I haven't had any uncloseable tabs, but I did get a popup that spawned a new window that wouldn't close. Not sure if the two things are related.

Yep, that bothers me too. I think its because of HW acceleration of layers still being bugged. This also causes corruption in "about:config" context menus.

Setting "layers.accelerate-all" to "false" turns off acceleration of layers (without turning off DirectWrite and Direct2D).

This solved the corrupted context menu problem and slightly increased tab responsiveness for me. YMMV.

For overall tab responsiveness, you can turn to false this: "browser.tabs.animate;false"

For now at least. It's getting a bit better, more responsive.

That fixed it for me, pretty sure I could use Minefield now full-time with no problems*.

Thanks duders! :3

Anyone know if we will ever be able to right click in the firefox drop down menus on OSX, I've always found it odd that you can't.

I also don't seem to be able to click on the text box when creating a bookmark, odd.

Miss having a beta to update to like every other week mind, lol.

It used to support right clicking menu items, but they disabled it since no other app did it (well, no well known app, I'm sure there are apps that do it out there)

It used to support right clicking menu items, but they disabled it since no other app did it (well, no well known app, I'm sure there are apps that do it out there)

Just found it strange, lol.

Though I would only use it for one thing, which is to auto-arrange my bookmarks in folders which are inside other folders on my nav toolbar, I know I can go through organise bookmark window, but when I came from Firefox on windows to OSX, it was odd.

oy, that firefox button thing is purple in private browsing mode...

It looks good! I like it! :D

mkdekl.png

I installed minefield, because it's very customizable, but why is it so laggy?

I mean actually everything is so slow, opening tabs, going to sites. When clicking it takes ages to open a new tab. Yet in the old firefox, it's much better. Even IE for me is faster than this beta firefox. Is there any fixes?

I installed minefield, because it's very customizable, but why is it so laggy?

I mean actually everything is so slow, opening tabs, going to sites. When clicking it takes ages to open a new tab. Yet in the old firefox, it's much better. Even IE for me is faster than this beta firefox. Is there any fixes?

browser.tabs.animate;false