Meet Firefox 4.0.1

J.C! Is Mozilla short of engineers or something? How hard is it that it has taken over 1 -1/2 month to fix the previous 7 bugs and still have 11 remaining in b7? Why don't they halt their mobile and other project development and put as much resource as possible into FF4!? I was expecting FF this year, not "the first half of 2011". This is bull**** Mozilla -_-

At today's development planning meeting we decided to ship Firefox 4

Beta 7 from mozilla-central instead of the relbranch that we created on

October 6th [1]. This means that Firefox 4 Beta 7 will include the work

that has landed on mozilla-central over the past month (an impressive

number of fixes, including more than 300 additional blocking bugs!) It

also means that the GECKO20b7pre_20101006_RELBRANCH will be discarded.

The driving group re-triaged the beta8 blocker list, pulling forward

regressions created/discovered from this past month's work such that

they now block beta 7. This has left us with 24 blockers, though several

will fade away when the TraceMonkey tree is merged over to

mozilla-central a little later tonight:

http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.planning/browse_thread/thread/3538e7b1f4fea779#

With 20 Plus blockers left I would guess Middle or Near the end of Nov. Is when beta 7 finally is released, that would seem more likely at the rate their going.

J.C! Is Mozilla short of engineers or something? How hard is it that it has taken over 1 -1/2 month to fix the previous 7 bugs and still have 11 remaining in b7? Why don't they halt their mobile and other project development and put as much resource as possible into FF4!? I was expecting FF this year, not "the first half of 2011". This is bull**** Mozilla -_-

Why don't you code it yourself? Till then, don't expect anything from something you contribute nothing to! Their are some Opera users on a different thread that would love to have your insight into resources and project development.

The bugs on the beta 7 blocker list have been changing over the past month - just because the number has stayed roughly the same, doesn't mean nothing is being done.

As mentioned, hundreds upon hundreds of updates will be in beta 7 compared to beta 6. Probably something around a thousand.

Just because a beta didn't get released (for various reasons), doesn't mean development in any way stopped. They were just trying to stabilize a beta 7 branch, but in the end it wasn't worth not picking up all the other work that had been done in the intervening time.

Edit: now that beta 7 is being done off trunk, I would expect that blocker list to reduce at a reasonable pace. It's not going to go down agonizingly slowly like the previous list.

If mozilla were to follow Google Chrome's numerology , we were at Beta 12~14 easily i guess

Its just that , they have landed too much , but not released as beta yet , anyways , its better to launch yet more stable beta with many revisions. Its not that they did nothing in 1 month , its just that they did so much , but did not release it :/

There has been and will continue to be amazing development in Mozilla. I remind forum users to look back over the last 12 months and revel in what has been achieved. I use Chromium, Opera 11, & Firefox 4.0b8pre all day, switching back & forth almost hourly. Out of Opera's speed & interface, to Chromiums omnibar and simplicity, Firefox will be all these, only stable! That's what the others lack, they may have had it first, but Firefox will refine it and polish it. The browser wars are here, big time! I can't wait to see what the next 12 months will hold.

OMG.Latest FF nightly is faster than latest Chromium on my machine.And there is so much more to land before the final.When FF 4 final is ready it will be the best browser ever(at least for me).Keep up the good work guys.

seriously? at this rate firefox 4 wont be out till mid 2011! :crazy:

i'd prefer a finished product in 2011 rather than an unfinished one this year :shiftyninja:

i'd prefer a finished product in 2011 rather than an unfinished one this year :shiftyninja:

agreed but with the amount of continued delays this feels like a windows vista :wacko:

OMG.Latest FF nightly is faster than latest Chromium on my machine.And there is so much more to land before the final.When FF 4 final is ready it will be the best browser ever(at least for me).Keep up the good work guys.

I totally confirm. Real world speed of full loading page, is already noticeable faster. FF is loading new pages like having 'em stored in cache.

Meanwhile has many bugs that interrupting the smooth process of speed.

Hey everyone,

As those who have been tracking our nightly builds know, great things are happening with Firefox 4. The user interface changes are converging, the graphics and layout features are wrapping up, and recently the JavaScript engine was dramatically improved. The result is a fast, capable Firefox that provides better speed and responsiveness for web applications and users. Completing this work is taking longer than initial estimates indicated as we track down regressions and sources of instability. As part of our commitment to beta users, we will not ship software before it is ready.

Development on Firefox 4 has not slowed down and strong progress is being made daily. However, based on the delays in completing the "feature complete" Beta 7 milestone against which our Add-on developers and third-party software developers can develop, as well as considering the amount of work remaining to prepare Firefox 4 for final release, we have revised our beta and release candidate schedule: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/4/Beta

The frequent beta releases have been extremely helpful in identifying compatibility issues with existing web content, so we plan on continuing to release beta milestones through the end of December. Our estimate is now that release candidate builds will ship in early 2011, with a final release date close behind. Please note that, as always, this schedule is subject to change based on feedback from users and community members.

cheers,

mike