Meet Firefox 4.0.1

10 bugs left! Could we see a release in the next few days?

i doubt it because they still have to complete the 10 remaining blockers than work on the builds and test them out before it can finally be released.

Is anyone else having issues with the tab titles?

Example:

post-2-1291730397589.png

The tab title doesn't change with the page title (this happens on most sites). Sometimes reused tabs keep the old domain title while I'm somewhere else too? :p

i doubt it because they still have to complete the 10 remaining blockers than work on the builds and test them out before it can finally be released.

I thought beta 8 was expected today?

New in today's build: The add-ons manager uses an 'in-content UI' - i.e. the browser navigation elements disappear in favour of the add-ons manager controls. Screenshot:

post-1302-12917312196768.png

The in-content UI change is a start, but it looks pretty bland compared to the mockups. I'm hoping we can start getting more eye candy after beta 8 wraps up.

Example:

post-2-1291730397589.png

The tab title doesn't change with the page title (this happens on most sites). Sometimes reused tabs keep the old domain title while I'm somewhere else too? :p

I haven't had this problem, but I saw it in bugzilla yesterday - Bug 616916. It's currently unconfirmed, so maybe posting your screenshot there will get it more notice?

Also, don't forget to try in Safe Mode or with a new profile. ;)

Bah, I was just going to post a screenshot.

I hate how the colours conflict, I hope that's going to be changed.

not in windows though :)

Example:

post-2-1291730397589.png

have you tried disabling your stylish scripts?

maybe one of them is conflicting

So a bunch of the Google guys working on Chrome have found a pretty fatal flaw* in the current WebSocket protocol, and it's going to require some breaking changes to the foundation to get it into a usable state.

And because of the time/schedule, those changes won't make Firefox 4, and as such WebSockets support will be disabled for the final release. I think this is a good example of not rushing into supporting a spec too early, multiple versions of Chrome have shipped with WebSockets support enabled, some incompatible with other versions of Chrome, and all with this flaw.

* With a correctly formatted response, you can trick buggy proxies into thinking any random bit of data comes from another site, e.g. you could overwrite Google's Analytics code for every user on the proxy.

A new performance tracker landed in the latest nightly, it records when the app was started and how long it takes for it to actually launch.

190075043t.png

Obviously it'll become more useful over time, I'm surprised it only took 4 seconds to start on my Mac (considering it has 2GB of RAM and I have like 30 tabs open in multiple TabCandy groups)

Edit: And it just got backed out due to crashes :laugh:

I noticed when I was using firefox beta 7 in ubuntu on my laptop I didn't have the laggy tab animation issue at all. It was even smoother than he tab animations on my quad core desktop.

AWFY's with kraken and v8 bench (updated till Dec 8) : http://www.arewefastyet.com/awfy2.php

Strange; this makes it seem like V8 doesn't have Crankshaft enabled? That should bring it close to Mozilla's TM+JM scores on Kraken. There's a huge difference.

It's strange because V8 already have this feature supported in the latest builds that AWFY should cover in that graph.

V8 should also receive a bump on v8bench, and be the current winner on Sunspider once this optimizing compiler is enabled.

Strange; this makes it seem like V8 doesn't have Crankshaft enabled? That should bring it close to Mozilla's TM+JM scores on Kraken. There's a huge difference.

It's strange because V8 already have this feature supported in the latest builds that AWFY should cover in that graph.

V8 should also receive a bump on v8bench, and be the current winner on Sunspider once this optimizing compiler is enabled.

It's barely been out a day! Plus, it's only in specific developer builds, give it a little time to mature (and appear in AWFY)

(Don't get me wrong though, looks like a great development)

Spot the changed default as of today's nightly:

post-1302-12919053103213.png

(OS X default theme with default toolbar settings)

I was removing the home button entirely.

(Not saying that's what should have been done. I read over the bug page too, so I understand why, and agree with just moving it.)

EDIT: Are they really going to connect the home and bookmark buttons together?