Time Travel Is Possible, Says Stephen Hawking

Famed astrophysicist Stephen Hawking believes humans are capable of time travel -- and he's not afraid to let everyone know.

Claiming he is not as concerned about being labelled crazy as he once was, Hawking has publicly aired his second startling theory in two weeks.

Hawking said he believed humans could travel millions of years into the future and repopulate their devastated planet.

Hawking said once spaceships were built that could fly faster than the speed of light, a day on board would be equivalent to a year on Earth. That's because -- according to Einstein -- as objects accelerate through space, time slows down around

them.

Which also means that Hawking's theory only applies to moving forwards through time.

Moving backwards is impossible, Hawking says, because it "violates a fundamental rule that cause comes before effect."

If moving backwards through time was possible, a person could shoot their former selves.

?I believe things cannot make themselves impossible,? Hawking said.

However, once spaceships approached the speed of light, their crew would start skipping through Earth years on a daily basis, giving the human race a chance to start again.

?It would take six years at full power just to reach these speeds," Hawking said. "After the first two years, it would reach half light speed and be far outside the solar system. After another two years, it would be traveling at 90 per cent of the speed of light."

?After another two years of full thrust, the ship would reach full speed, 98 per cent of the speed of light, and each day on the ship would be a year on Earth. At such speeds, a trip to the edge of the galaxy would take just 80 years for those on board.?

full story

Sounds like Hawking has officially lost his marbles. While time travel on a particle/wave level is theoretically possible, to suggest that a human could withstand it is ludicrous. And all of our popular notions of time travel assume that there's an absolute time scale, which of course doesn't exist. Everything is relative.

time slows down around one who spends time at light speed.

And that's exactly the problem: you're fantasizing by anthropomorphizing a quantum observer.

Sounds like Hawking has officially lost his marbles. While time travel on a particle/wave level is theoretically possible, to suggest that a human could withstand it is ludicrous. And all of our popular notions of time travel assume that there's an absolute time scale, which of course doesn't exist. Everything is relative.

And that's exactly the problem: you're fantasizing by anthropomorphizing a quantum observer.

He is not saying a human can withstand it. Hes simply giving people an example of how it is possible. Watch the videos....

Hawking said once spaceships were built that could fly faster than the speed of light

Faster than? Is it me or should that be "near to"?

Silly fox news.

This is all part of the scheme to reveal the truth about Aliens, 'UFOs', and the Time Travelers who have been visiting us for centuries. ;)

Even Hawking has been briefed and recruited.

Disclosure in 2013

This is all part of the scheme to reveal the truth about Aliens, 'UFOs', and the Time Travelers who have been visiting us for centuries. ;)

Disclosure in 2013

I was thinking the same thing. I thought to myself, all these things I have been seeing/hearing about aliens, UFO's, time travel, the universe etc is leading up to something....

Time and space are intertwined. You can't travel in space without time.

We are traveling through both space and time at this very moment. On one hand, Hawkins has stated what our current understanding of space and time is, on the other, he's put it into perspective as he must have done the math: "a day on board would be equivalent to a year on Earth", assuming faster than speed of light travel is possible.

It's mind-boggling. Even if we get the technology which can enable us to travel at such speeds, waiting for feedback from such a ship will still take a hell of a time here on Earth. Forget about ever seeing it come back in your lifetime. :)

First he was mumbling something about aliens everywhere, and now he's on about time travel..

Nurse, please check all the USB cables are connected properly and then reboot the scientist... whistle.gif

I always hear his computerized voice whenever I read his quotes. But yeah, i didn't read anything that I haven't heard before. Science fiction writers have played with that very idea for years. I'm reminded of the book Speaker for the Dead where Ender travels at light speeds and the result was years-upon-years had past while he only perceived days passing (and did not age).

Disclosure in 2013

please observe the following guidelines for posting in this forum.
  • Topics in the forum should have a clear scientific focus and a factual basis. This is not The It's a Conspiracy! forum.

:rolleyes:

If you managed to do this, and each day at light speed was a year on earth - by the time you got home, there would be no-one left alive that knew you were up there in the first place, except kids with nursery rhymes about the fairy tale spacemen flying around the earth and the speed of light.

And most likely be shot down by the Russians as aliens upon entering the atmosphere.

You could never talk to earth either because one word from light-speed would take 10 minutes to listen to on earth, your sentences would have to be recorded for hours and then played back in fast forward for anyone to hear them correctly

Light speed / travel is a mind boggling idea, I love it, but I can not get my head around all the implications / effects involved with it

Moving backwards is impossible, Hawking says.

Lots of things once thought impossible have become possible. We don't know enough about time travel to say if it's possible or impossible.

I'll take Michio Kaku's stance on it.. If you could time travel, it would be to a different dimension. Everything would be the same, but you wouldn't be able to change your future for the better or for worse.

I'll take Michio Kaku's stance on it.. If you could time travel, it would be to a different dimension. Everything would be the same, but you wouldn't be able to change your future for the better or for worse.

Since every possibility creates it's own dimension I tend to agree :)

I always hear his computerized voice whenever I read his quotes. But yeah, i didn't read anything that I haven't heard before. Science fiction writers have played with that very idea for years. I'm reminded of the book Speaker for the Dead where Ender travels at light speeds and the result was years-upon-years had past while he only perceived days passing (and did not age).

Ah I remember with fondness those Enders Novels; they were really the only one to deal with that time-dilation effect properly. On the other hand, everyone knows time travel is possible. We're all doing it right now! Unfortunately it's pretty much at the rate of 1 minute per minute.

You do realize he's talking about traveling forward in time, right? :p

You do realize he's talking about traveling forward in time, right? :p

Yes :p

I don't think anyone could believe that backwards time travel is possible?

Lots of things once thought impossible have become possible. We don't know enough about time travel to say if it's possible or impossible.

Indeed, for instance when rail roads became first available in the 19th century there was many who thought that travelling at the velocity achieved by the locomotive (50mph or similar) would be extremely dangerous to humans...

150 years or so later 50mph is considered to be an annoying slow moving object if you're stuck behind it on the motorway... smile.gif

Yes :p

I don't think anyone could believe that backwards time travel is possible?

You'd be surprised :p A lot of people use the "once we thought going into space was impossible!" type arguments in regards to time travel/ftl travel.

Also, surely using this method though you wouldn't end up going to "another dimension"? Since you aren't really traveling through time any differently to normal, just at a different rate relative to everyone else. And do you know if that was that a typo on Fox's page about faster than light travel? I thought he meant merely traveling at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light, the need to be traveling faster doesn't seem to make any sense to me :( And traveling faster seems a little far fetched besides :p

Indeed, for instance when rail roads became first available in the 19th century there was many who thought that travelling at the velocity achieved by the locomotive (50mph or similar) would be extremely dangerous to humans...

150 years or so later 50mph is considered to be an annoying slow moving object if you're stuck behind it on the motorway... smile.gif

Heh, the difference is back then they didn't really have any scientific evidence supporting their arguments. Now we have plenty of scientific evidence supporting the idea that ftl travel is impossible, and that even nearing the speed of light would be fatal for humans. Even hypothesizing about some kind of alcumbierre drive presents what is most likely insurmountable problems.

If I could travel backwards in time, I would have already traveled backwards in time to explain to myself how I did it.

3. ????

4. PROFIT!