Intel Shows First Light Peak Laptop, 10Gbps Transfer Only Beginning!

There are cons too though. Most hardware wouldn't benefit from it at the moment, because they simply can't (and don't need to) operate at those kinds of speeds. Your keyboard now needs more expensive hardware, including an optical transceiver. At the moment ASICS, microcontrollers, and application processors have on-chip USB. The only external electronics normally used is a couple of resistors. That makes for cheap and accessible hardware, even for hobbyists.

Of course, while this is an unfortunate side effect, it's not a real argument against new technology. The technology isn't really the problem. The problem is it being owned by a single corporation and not open. I don't know if that's true for LightPeak, but if it is, it's not good. I don't want everything to have to have Intel-made LightPeak controllers. In that scenario, I think it might be more preferable to go with something else, even if it means reducing the bandwidth in half.

Yeah, it's more of a future proofing thing, and costs will come down the same way they did with USB.

As for who's going to make it, It's going to be handled the same way USB is (makes sense considering Intel have created both), where there's an industry group who's in charge of it (so anybody in the group can make light peak devices, and they all work together on the spec)

Wow, this should be interesting.

USB 3.0 vs. Light Peak ;)

Light peak is the natural successor for USB3.0

in all due time it will replace usb role everywhere!

10Gbps isn't enough to drive a High Resolution Monitor, so i hope they can get 20+ to start with, to match the speed of DisplayPort 2.0

It's enough to drive a 2560x1600 monitor. That's pretty high resolution. :p

dont suppose u could change the font colour? its near impossible to read (unles you select the text) on the Darkside theme

Do you think the reason intel havent added usb3 to their chipset is so they can wait for LP to be ready then they can be combined together? IE the chipset supports both, so the usb3 port can also be used as an LP port?

Everyone forgets that LP is Apple's technology , brought by Intel.

Everyone knows Apple has nothing to do with this technology (except fanatics' wet dreams).

P.S. Everyone knows that your nick starts with "i" for a reason.

It is vice versa. Intel helped Apple with LP creation.

Yeah, Intel was working on optical transfer for years before this, then apple decided it wanted soem more publicity, gave intel some money earmarked to help pay for the LP developement and they got to be part of the press conference, instant win.

Yeah, HDMI 1.3 has a maximum bandwidth of 10.2Gb, so it's definitely enough to drive one, if not two or more high-res monitors.

Well, By the times it comes out i am sure it wont be consider High Resolution. And you also need some more bandwidth for Data ( Web Camera ), USB Hub, Audio ... etc......