Canon 15-85mm good to replace kit lens?

Hi guys i recently bought a canon Rebel T1i and want to replace the kit lens. I have been looking at the Canon 15-85mm.

Is this a good replacement and i was also wondering if anyone had any experience with it?

Thanks in advance guys!

I have thought about a longer range but i cant see myself needing all that often but in case could someone recommend a a good lens with a longer range?

Price wise i would like to keep it some where around that $700 and under range.

Btw i am relativity new to the whole dSLR thing but i am loving every moment of it!

For $700 you can get a very decent kit lens replacement + some other things, look into the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 OS HSM since OS (or IS or VR) is actually an important feature in a lens for Canon cameras.

I like the Sigma 17-70 alot! thanks for the advice! Also i was looking at some others with a longer range.

What do you guys think of the canon 18-200mm? Its got IS but no USM (or HSM)

For $700 you can get a very decent kit lens replacement + some other things, look into the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 OS HSM since OS (or IS or VR) is actually an important feature in a lens for Canon cameras.

Why is it good specifically just for canon cameras?

I like the Sigma 17-70 alot! thanks for the advice! Also i was looking at some others with a longer range.

What do you guys think of the canon 18-200mm? Its got IS but no USM (or HSM)

The 17-70 is going to be a lot sharper and it's a lot faster (f2.8-4 vs f3.5-5.6: smaller the number the better)

Why is it good specifically just for canon cameras?

For Canon and Nikon cameras it is an issue whether the lens has IS/VR/OS, however, if the mount has in-sensor stabilization, you can get a non stabilized lens such as the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and get IS/VR/OS on top of that.

The 17-70 is going to be a lot sharper and it's a lot faster (f2.8-4 vs f3.5-5.6: smaller the number the better)

I agree, the apertures alone are worth it.

You need to think what you want to use the lens for.

Do you have a real need for a zoom lens?

Do you want to shoot landscapes or get a better sense of perspective? Go wide angle, Sigma 10-20mm is a relatively cheap but very very good lens.

Do you want to shoot people? Canon 50mm (pretty cheap) or (even better but more expensive) the 35mm would be a great lens. Plus, the low apertures mean you can create some amazing bokeh.

For Canon and Nikon cameras it is an issue whether the lens has IS/VR/OS, however, if the mount has in-sensor stabilization, you can get a non stabilized lens such as the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and get IS/VR/OS on top of that.

The Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC has VC... that's why it's called "VC" lol. And probably like only 5% of DSLRs sold have in-sensor stabilization.

Thanks a lot guys! i have been looking all day and i just have to choose! The suggestions have been great!