Recommended software for new Ubuntu install?

i thought you have to pay for gmx plus to get imap?

i use gmx.net, not gmx.com and it doesnt offer the imap option in freemail.

currently im doing a backup with wlmail backup.

can anyone help? thats the last thing which stops me from switching to ubuntu. i got everything else working - external monitor, iphone, webcam, ...

i just need a tool which lets me export/convert/transfer my mails from windows live mail beta to an mail app on ubuntu, i dont care if its thunderbird or another one.

i use gmx.net, not gmx.com and it doesnt offer the imap option in freemail.

currently im doing a backup with wlmail backup.

can anyone help? thats the last thing which stops me from switching to ubuntu. i got everything else working - external monitor, iphone, webcam, ...

i just need a tool which lets me export/convert/transfer my mails from windows live mail beta to an mail app on ubuntu, i dont care if its thunderbird or another one.

Just setup a .com email, and set all .net emails to forward to the .com? Then you will have your lost options ;D

A lot of great apps, thanx. Really like ubuntu tweak:)

A little off-topic: I turned off the bottom panel, and now when I minimize windows\apps, they dont minimize to the top panel, but just dissapears. How to get them to minimize to my top panel?

Deff. install Chrome, especially since it just went stable on linux. I also install Banshee as well, best music player imho.

A lot of great apps, thanx. Really like ubuntu tweak:)

A little off-topic: I turned off the bottom panel, and now when I minimize windows\apps, they dont minimize to the top panel, but just dissapears. How to get them to minimize to my top panel?

Right click on top panel, click Add to panel, search for Windows List.

Windows 7 :)

Wow. Funny as someone requesting stuff for Windows and someone say "get a Mac" or "use Linux".

Neowin needs a lot less posts like yours.

Some others I forgot to mention:

Ubuntu Tweak

Google Chrome

w32codecs (Medibuntu repository)

AdThwart (Chrome extension)

Could not edit my last post,so thats why I doublepost.

Question about Tucan, does it support Rapidshare premium account..like filling in username\password and multiple downloads?

@Syanide, I noticed u recommended getting the "Docky" install from another place than the package manager.

I took a look at the site, but my english aint that good and could not understand how to get that package.

Could you please post the commands on how to get that package and future updates please?

Another somewhat releated question topicwise, after updating Ubuntu, there was a new boot-loader version..22 something generic.

When I boot up now, the old one, 21 generic and recovery still shows as well with the new one.

Are them necessary, or is there a way to remove them from showing up when booting?

@andy_rose:

Type this in terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:docky-core/ppa

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

@cork1958:

Do you just randomly enter topics and recommend something totally random like another distro for a reason, or what?

To clarify on my previous post (which got deleted): This isn't a post-install guide (it would end with one reply: enable medibuntu, add ubuntu-restricted extras and libdvdcss2), this was more of a "recommend interesting software for Ubuntu" (and that includes Linux software in general). So instead of promoting Zenwalk (which is awesome in its own right), you could have simply posted some apps you find interesting.

Don't forget Google's browser Chrome for Linux is the fastest out of Windows & Mac!!

Or just add Chrome theme on Firefox + few tweaks and there's no difference in terms of speed, just better privacy - not that is important for the majority.

• 2 weeks later...

- amarok: very nice music player with lyrics function

- htop: shows every system process with cpu and mem usage just like the windows task manager. but more detailed. lets you kill processes too.