Third Office for Mac 2011 Beta Reveals New Icons, Splash Screens, more

105601-office_2011_icons.jpg

Microsoft is continuing to push forward with work on Office for Mac 2011, issuing a third beta release of the productivity suite in advance of a final release scheduled for launch around the end of the year. With Office 2011's features and functionality becoming firmed up, Microsoft has begun putting more effort into some of the finishing touches that offer some obvious visual changes.

105559-word_2011_splash.png

Some of those changes included in the latest beta version are new icons and splash screens for the Office applications, as well as minor tweaks to several toolbar and ribbon icons. Application interfaces otherwise appear largely the same as in earlier beta versions, although Microsoft is undoubtedly continuing to refine its flagship productivity suite with functionality fixes and enhancements.

105559-word_2011_welcome_500.jpg

We'll keep our eyes peeled for information on more substantial functional changes included in the latest beta as testers put it through its paces.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/25/third-office-for-mac-2011-beta-reveals-new-icons-splash-screens-and-more/#

Horrible icons! even the 2008 icons sucks.... the icons I really like are still the ones from 2004 version!!! But hey it's my opinion, I know tons of people are going to like'em!

I like the idea but I'm not really liking the implementation on the icons. I mean they make them easy to identify but they aren't going to be pretty sitting in the dock next to Apple's icons.

If Microsoft optimized their applications for a change they wouldn't need splash screens to keep us distracted while the thing is taking ages starting up.

Interesting design choice, that's all I can say really.

anyone get their hands on the baby blue version on the splash screen, I really don't know why you guys don't like them they look great. Xcel icon could be better.

AHA! I knew Beta 3 was coming somewhere around today. Just take a look in the Beta 2 thread, it was my prediction :)

Beta 2 expired today, so it was pretty obvious something better was coming.

Those new Splash screens? why don?t they take the ones in Windows? I?m sure they would fit in OS X and even if not, they?re much better than these.

And those new icons? I simply cannot stand them. If they?re the final icons, first thing I?ll do is change them when it?s installed. They really are that ugly to me.

I actually really like those icons. Very interesting, and definitely a big change from the icons used in the past few versions.

If Microsoft optimized their applications for a change they wouldn't need splash screens to keep us distracted while the thing is taking ages starting up.

I find Office 2011 to be quite a bit quicker than both 2004 and 2008 was. It's probably not fully optimized as you've pointed out, but Beta 2 loaded up for me in seconds, whereas even 2008 could take anywhere from 10-20 seconds.

So I came across some more pics of Beta 3. Seems the Ribbon is going to be quite customizable...

ribbon5.png

There are four different "levels" for the Ribbon... You can have it displayed fully, hide a portion of it, hide it entirely in favor of a simpler toolbar and then even hide the toolbar entirely so you're left with virtually a blank page...

ribbon1.pngribbon2.pngribbon3.pngribbon4.png

Word 2011 will still have the Notebook Layout view, which is somewhat similar to OneNote, although not quite as powerful.

notebook_layout1.pngnotebook_layout2.pngnotebook_layout3.pngnotebook_layout4.png

Why cannot they have a native UI, then I would pay and use this software.

You mean go back to the Office 2008 inspector ? No thanks for me.

For Office 2011 specifically, I prefer having a non-standard interface that works, rather than a standard interface that doesn?t.

You mean go back to the Office 2008 inspector ? No thanks for me.

For Office 2011 specifically, I prefer having a non-standard interface that works, rather than a standard interface that doesn't.

I think the UI of 2011 is way better than 2008, but it's not enough for me to change. I guess I prefer my applications look (etc) more universal.

Looking better with each beta; I do hope that it improves over 2008 as so far as responsiveness because once Word starts to get a large complex file the speed doesn't just slow gracefully - it goes off the cliff.

Why cannot they have a native UI, then I would pay and use this software.

Because Apple's native UI doesn't work well when there are so many features to make accessible within a couple of clicks. Windows had the same problem, and the ribbon cures it.

Is there any way to get into this beta? I don't see it on MSDN or on any of the Microsoft sites.

Are there any changes to Messenger for Mac?

The new icons looks nice, with the exception being Messenger.

For Office 2011 specifically, I prefer having a non-standard interface that works, rather than a standard interface that doesn't.

I wouldn't say the 2010 UI is non-standard, it's different; but I think it fits Windows 7 better than 2007 does.

Because Apple's native UI doesn't work well when there are so many features to make accessible within a couple of clicks. Windows had the same problem, and the ribbon cures it.

At least use the correct Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts instead of the Windows ones.

I really like the icons though.

t_1mc0kx31gynm_8941f37.png

t_1mc0kx31gynm_1b66d1a.png

t_1mc0kx31gynm_e5cb3e4.png

t_1mc0kx31gynm_fe0c4c9.png

t_1mc0kx31gynm_4881d8d.png

New build of Messenger. Version 8.0.0. Build 100519.

t_1mc0kx31gynm_9a3e12e.png

What is Communicator? Also version 8.0.0. Build 100519. blink.gif

t_1mc0kx31gynm_3533b54.png

t_1mc0kx31gynm_262fd5c.png

Have to say, this new suite of apps is gearing up quite nicely. It runs very fast compared to 2008.

What is Communicator? Also version 8.0.0. Build 100519.

Communicator is a centralized chat system for use in corporate networks and the like. It's actually very useful (Y)