Third Office for Mac 2011 Beta Reveals New Icons, Splash Screens, more

Here are some screenshots of Office 2011; it definitely has more 'teh snappier', very fast and stable, I definitely would purchase it once it comes out:

http://cid-1f0dd001849fd688.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Office^_2011

What I love the most is very Mac like it is - it no longer stands out like a sore thumb like previous versions. No problems when opening up docx files, outlook is really fast. Over all it is a wonderful suite - hopefully we'll see it being released soon :)

Here are some screenshots of Office 2011; it definitely has more 'teh snappier', very fast and stable, I definitely would purchase it once it comes out:

http://cid-1f0dd0018...px/Office^_2011

What I love the most is very Mac like it is - it no longer stands out like a sore thumb like previous versions. No problems when opening up docx files, outlook is really fast. Over all it is a wonderful suite - hopefully we'll see it being released soon :)

I notice those are shots of Beta 5, which means it will probably be leaked soon. The splash screens appear to have been altered a bit, too.

I notice those are shots of Beta 5, which means it will probably be leaked soon. The splash screens appear to have been altered a bit, too.

Yeah, I got a case of the guilts and have quickly deleted it off my machine lol

It was very fast, and hopefully we'll see it being released within the next 3-4months - it'll make a great early Christmas/Graduation present.

I think they're making some headway on the design of Messenger 8. Needs more tweaking, and then bam. They got something good going.

I can't wait for this release.

They?re actually working their asses off really hard for this version, eh? But they had a LOT to catch up. I mean, interface-wise, graphics-wise and optimization-wise.

Now, there?s still room for optimization (64-bit, 100% Cocoa if it?s not that already), and there?s still no QuickParts in Word... strange :p

They?re actually working their asses off really hard for this version, eh? But they had a LOT to catch up. I mean, interface-wise, graphics-wise and optimization-wise.

Now, there?s still room for optimization (64-bit, 100% Cocoa if it?s not that already), and there?s still no QuickParts in Word... strange :p

I think the biggest issue they have is that they don't do updates often enough. On the Windows side of things Messenger gets updated 2 or 3 times between each Office release. MacBU only updates Messenger for Mac maybe once, if we're lucky, between Office releases. Not enough developers, perhaps?

It's not like it's not in their best interest to keep up to date, even if it is a rival platform. The worse their alternative products are, the more likely Mac users are going to switch to open source or other alternatives like Adium and OpenOffice.

the new beta is even slower then the last, and by like a MILE too.. soo slow. typing litterally is laggy.

Just out of curiosity, do you have the system specifications? I've noticed some laggy behaviour but I'm wondering whether it has to do with Microsoft tripping over bugs/poor performance in the OpenGL stack which traces back to the graphics card when it comes to some of the effects that Microsoft is using; Core Animation I have a guess they're using for that cool 'flip' effect with the template windows :)

Rumour has it that 10.6.5 will include updated nVidia drivers so hopefully that'll fix up those performance issues (from the Valve engineer on their forum) - so maybe it'll be a situation 'wait and see' - Microsoft could be waiting for Apple to release some updates to address some of the performance issues.

Just out of curiosity, do you have the system specifications? I've noticed some laggy behaviour but I'm wondering whether it has to do with Microsoft tripping over bugs/poor performance in the OpenGL stack which traces back to the graphics card when it comes to some of the effects that Microsoft is using; Core Animation I have a guess they're using for that cool 'flip' effect with the template windows :)

Rumour has it that 10.6.5 will include updated nVidia drivers so hopefully that'll fix up those performance issues (from the Valve engineer on their forum) - so maybe it'll be a situation 'wait and see' - Microsoft could be waiting for Apple to release some updates to address some of the performance issues.

Laptop

model: Late 2006 Macbook

operating system: Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.4

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2ghz

RAM: 4gb Corsair @ 667

wireless N: airport extreme

video card: Intel GMA950

sound card: Intel High Definition Audio

HDD: Seagate 320gb 7200RPM

speakers: Shure srh840 headphones, Ultimate Ears MetroFi 170

DVD/Blu Ray Drive: SuperDrive

Netbook

model: Dell Mini 10v

operating system: Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.4

CPU: Atom N270 @ 1.6 ghz

RAM: 1 gb DDR Ram @ 533mhz

wireless G: Dell 1397 WLAN 802.11g ? Half mini-card

video card: Intel 945GSE UMA Graphics Media Accelerator

sound card: Intel High Definition Audio

HDD: 160gb 5400 RPM

speakers: Shure srh840 headphones, Ultimate Ears MetroFi 170

laggy on both systems. iWork runs without issue in both systems. all microsoft office releases run like crap... looks like the trend is continuing!

laggy on both systems. iWork runs without issue in both systems. all microsoft office releases run like crap... looks like the trend is continuing!

I'm not surprised about the crappy performance on the netbook but I am surprised about it on the MacBook. The performance with nVidia isn't noticeable all that much but I think it's going to remain pretty crappy since your laptop is coming to the end of its 'shelf life' according to Apple. I'm hoping that maybe 10.7 will mark a further refinement given that LLVM is really mature and possibly will become the default compiler. So as far as I see it, 10.6 marks a middle point, the Vista of the Mac world and hopefully 10.7 will bring about a further refinement with heavier integration of the new technologies that'll contribute to an over all better performance, security and reliability.

the new beta is even slower then the last, and by like a MILE too.. soo slow. typing litterally is laggy.

That sucks big time. I hope that they can find a way to speed it up before the final release. I hated Office 2008 so much that I just got rid of it, and now I'm starting to get sick of booting up Parallels every time that I want to use an Office application. Unfortunately, it's the best choice when you want speed and full feature support.

The new Messenger contact list looks terrible. :x Hardly like something that is native to Mac OS X.

Its there to mimic WLM on Windows though surely. The same could be said for Apple forcing the OSX interface in iTunes and QuickTime etc on Windows users.

Its there to mimic WLM on Windows though surely.

Undoubtedly... Doesn't change that it looks like ass on Mac OS X.

same could be said for Apple forcing the OSX interface in iTunes and QuickTime etc on Windows users.

I fail to see the relevance here. Windows has a longstanding history of inconsistent interfaces, fueled by Microsoft themselves, with a general user-base that is seemingly indifferent to it. Same can't be said of Mac OS and its user-base.

Undoubtedly... Doesn't change that it looks like ass on Mac OS X.

I fail to see the relevance here. Windows has a longstanding history of inconsistent interfaces, fueled by Microsoft themselves, with a general user-base that is seemingly indifferent to it. Same can't be said of Mac OS and its user-base.

But least these UIs are fast, you can't say the same for iTunes or Quicktime on Windows.

Same can't be said of Mac OS and its user-base.

What about the fact that Apple always seems to have a slightly different UI with iTunes when compared to the rest of Mac OS X and that Mac OS X Tiger had a mixture of brushed metal and glossy plastic? There are also various HIG violations, such as how "real world" applications are supposed to have a brushed metal look, yet most don't.

Apple is very good about consistency, for the most part, but even they don't follow their own guidelines 100% of the time.

I haven't noticed much 'slowness'. Beta 5 is pretty quick for me, there is no lagging with text input anyway.

The Messenger in Beta 4 crashed for me every time I sent a message, that doesn't happen in Beta 5 and it's pretty stable. Looks better too :)

What about the fact that Apple always seems to have a slightly different UI with iTunes when compared to the rest of Mac OS X and that Mac OS X Tiger had a mixture of brushed metal and glossy plastic? There are also various HIG violations, such as how "real world" applications are supposed to have a brushed metal look, yet most don't.

Apple is very good about consistency, for the most part, but even they don't follow their own guidelines 100% of the time.

You do realise that if you actually read the HIG (instead of relaying what others have said) there are exceptions to the general rules for particular circumstances.

Consistency has less to do with the feel and more about how it behaves; that command-q produces the same results regardless of the application. I've seen some applications ported from Windows that still use control-c and control-v for copy and paste even though Mac OS X use the command key. There are many vendors out there like that - the feel is less important when you consider that the behaviour in terms of consistency with the HIG being the more important factor.

You do realise that if you actually read the HIG (instead of relaying what others have said) there are exceptions to the general rules for particular circumstances.

Consistency has less to do with the feel and more about how it behaves; that command-q produces the same results regardless of the application. I've seen some applications ported from Windows that still use control-c and control-v for copy and paste even though Mac OS X use the command key. There are many vendors out there like that - the feel is less important when you consider that the behaviour in terms of consistency with the HIG being the more important factor.

God yes... I hate it when applications come along and they think that they can just remap the keyboard shortcuts "just because". It drives me to not even use the app in the first place.

I agree though, it's more about consistency of behaviour than anything else.

As far as I know Mac users have been complaining like crazy about iTunes' inconsistent UI, among other things. Mac OS X Tiger became a complete mess of different styles, which Apple corrected with Mac OS X Leopard and improved upon with Snow Leopard. Why? Because Mac users and developers complained so much about it. So both examples you're giving support what I'm saying about Mac users in general: They tend to set the bar higher when it comes to their OS and applications.

Obviously Mac OS X isn't 100% consistent either, but it's nowhere near as bad as the situation is (and has been for years) on Windows.

But least these UIs are fast, you can't say the same for iTunes or Quicktime on Windows.

Microsoft Office for Mac fast? You gotta be kiddin' me... Next to that the application interfaces are quirky as hell and don't respect Mac OS X standard keyboard shortcuts.

Microsoft Office for Mac fast? You gotta be kiddin' me... Next to that the application interfaces are quirky as hell and don't respect Mac OS X standard keyboard shortcuts.

Indeed, Office is quirky, slow, sluggish, whatever you want. But at LEAST I?m pretty sure they improved a lot compared to Office 2008. It?s just a pity it?s not 64-bit yet, we?ll have to wait for 2014 for this...

Just out of curiosity, what is a 64-bit Office suite going to offer over 32-bit during daily usage? Or is it just wanting to have 64-bit for the sake of having 64-bit?

Just out of curiosity, what is a 64-bit Office suite going to offer over 32-bit during daily usage? Or is it just wanting to have 64-bit for the sake of having 64-bit?

It won't offer much improvements over 32-bit. Excel would gain for those who use it as a database. A company I use to work for still uses it from what I've heard for spreadsheets that should have been turned into, at the very least, Access databases. They have millions of rows. It will definitely help with performance in that. I guess VB too. But for the most part, it won't offer much performance increases.