Pirated Music has an effect?

An article on the BBC website highlights how Imogen Heap, a pretty well known artist, stuggles to afford a tour let alone make a decent profit out of her music:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10220002.stm

"At this point in my life, I just about break even when it comes to touring," she explains. "But with the European tour that I was about to do, it turns out that even just doing it at a basic no-frills level, I would still be ?20,000 out of pocket."

Now some of this is down to the venue and ticketing companies but we often consider that the inability to make that much money from the actual music sold to consumers is outweighed by tour sales. That free music would help spur on the sale of tickets and thereby be a good thing for the music industry but in at least this example it's not true.

piracy hurts the people who produce the media we enjoy.

yes there are a million justifications for it...

But it still hurts. This is a simple logical and unavoidable truth that pirates need to understand and get over.

Ever since the music industry finally went to a DRM free distribution system, music sales have went back up. They are doing MUCH better now, and piracy of music has actually declined. People not showing up for shows and buying tickets is another thing. Ticket costs have gotten higher, and we are still in a recession where people don't have that kinda money to spend.

Some artists will never make it big, others have been to the top and are now going back down. People's tastes change. Some artists saying they are struggling doesn't prove anything about piracy. Especially when this article is mainly about her tours

I've seen really small bands make it out to the UK for tours, I'm sure they don't make much money from record sales.

They stay at people's houses and stuff, really un-flashy, but they care about their sharing music so much they do it anyway.

Heap remortgaged her flat to set up her own record label and release her second album, Speak for Yourself, in 2005.
Maybe this is where she went wrong :huh:

Eh, never heard of her. Piracy is a very real issue, and I'm sure it has it's negative and positive impacts on the industry at quite a complex level. But honestly, this kinda comes across as 'nobody buys my albums waaa must be piracy'.

Ever since the music industry finally went to a DRM free distribution system, music sales have went back up. They are doing MUCH better now, and piracy of music has actually declined. People not showing up for shows and buying tickets is another thing. Ticket costs have gotten higher, and we are still in a recession where people don't have that kinda money to spend.

Some artists will never make it big, others have been to the top and are now going back down. People's tastes change. Some artists saying they are struggling doesn't prove anything about piracy. Especially when this article is mainly about her tours

Agreed with DRM Free statement. Yes it costs a little more on iTunes to get DRM Free CD's but it's worth it. And with that it makes the buyers (who know what's going on) happier. CD sales have gone up in recent years/months which is good for the Artists. But at the same time they have concerts almost year round but jack the cost of tickets up. A show I went to last year cost me about $65 for two tickets, now for another show next week is almost $40 more! But this doesn't say every concert is higher priced but most are and it sucks, especially in these times. If you like the artist, support them, buy their music, T-shirts, go to concerts, buy merch. Don't steal their music.

I've seen really small bands make it out to the UK for tours, I'm sure they don't make much money from record sales.

They stay at people's houses and stuff, really un-flashy, but they care about their sharing music so much they do it anyway.

Maybe this is where she went wrong :huh:

How long can they do this before they need to make a living? Also Imogen Heap is a respected and relatively popular artist, her concerts presumably cost more to put on than a quick tour in the back of a van. Those small bands you mention are unlikely to do a tour of America and Europe are they.

Eh, never heard of her. Piracy is a very real issue, and I'm sure it has it's negative and positive impacts on the industry at quite a complex level. But honestly, this kinda comes across as 'nobody buys my albums waaa must be piracy'.

Umm, she didn't say that. She didn't once blame piracy. If anything, she blamed Live Nation for extortionate fees making fans think twice about buying tickets.

Oh, and thread moved

Eh, went to Buzzfest early May. While I'm no fan of Three Days Grace, was surprised to hear them say, "If you don't have our album, get it. I don't care if you buy it, burn it, download it, steal it or whatever..." (pretty much word for word, excluding some swearing of course)

Just thought I'd throw that into the conversation for what it's worth.

I believe listening to a pirated MP3 and actually seeing a interpret live on stage is a incomparable difference.

• 1 month later...

Well, let us buy music from all over the world without all that stupid copyrights issues

why do I have to fake a Japanese account if I wanna buy Jpop on Itunes?

speaking of Itunes, isn't it about time they'd (or any other online store) sell lossless?

wouldn't mind paying as much as a cd costs, as long as I get it on the spot with no DRM

At first I thought piracy had its positive and negative influences. But now I tend to think it only has its downsides. Sure, years ago you downloaded an album, listened to it and bought it eventually because you really loved it. Also you came to discover new bands. But do you really need to obtain the entire album through less legal matters these days? There are so many online stores which offer a preview of an album for you to listen to. The prices are lower (compared to retailers) and the quality in most cases is (more than) good. But that's were things still need refreshing. Sure it's great to offer a 128kbps MP3 download for the less fortunate with dial up connections. So to speak. But these days, offering higher quality versions shouldn't be a problem. And sure, I'd rather have a different format than MP3 like AAC or FLAC, but that's no excuse to still download everything on the spot and never support the artist.

On the other hand, instead of fighting piracy with expensive trials, why not give the public what it really wants? Music stores with different format options and no DRM? To me it sounds like a dog chasing his own tail. It starts running faster and faster until it needs to catch a breath. And the entertainment industry is running quite fast nowadays. And sure, there will always be piracy. It would be naive to think that you can stop everyone from copying copyrighted material. But it has to come from both sides, people need to be less picky about the offered solutions, but the entertainment industry needs to let go of their leases a little bit. As long as neither of them happen, we won't get any further imho.