World's furthest leaning tower

t1larg.jpg

The Capital Gate building in the desert kingdom's capital, Abu Dhabi, has been certified by Guinness World Records as the "World's Furthest Leaning Man-made Tower."

How far does it lean? Nearly five times farther than the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Italy.

The 35-story Abu Dhabi building has an 18-degree slope, compared with four degrees for the freestanding bell tower.

But unlike the tower in Pisa, the Capital Gate building has been deliberately engineered to slant.

The floor plates are stacked vertically up to the 12th floor, after which they are staggered over each other by between 300 mm to 1,400 mm -- giving the tower its lean, the owners said.

more

It's not that bad....i can think of a hundred buildings that look worse than this, for example:

Finding uglier buildings doesn't make this building attractive.

But unlike the tower in Pisa, the Capital Gate building has been deliberately engineered to slant.

Forgive me for being ignorant, but what's so fun about a slanted building, let along one deliberately made to be like that? :blink:

I mean, sure, the Leaning Tower of Pisa is pretty cool with all its historical background and such, but what's the point of creating something else like it today?

I'm confused...I would consider leaning as "leaning from it's base", much like Pisa does... but this doesn't, it's got a slant, but that's part of the design... :s

that is an example of people just building stuff to see if they can.

that is an example of people just building stuff to see if they can.

Or a country that knows once they run out of oil, they are screwed unless they can make money by tourism. Whch is exactly what they are doing

Hey,

With gas prices at almost 3.00 a gallon, where do you think they get the money to make stupid buildings like this.

It's not that bad....i can think of a hundred buildings that look worse than this.

Finding uglier buildings doesn't make this building attractive.

+1

Speaking of ugly (and weird) buildings.

post-273982-12760528728015.jpg

The final phase of the Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health in downtown Las Vegas opens its doors this weekend. The facility's new Life Activity Center will host medical education and other events. The center on Grand Center Parkway and Bonneville Avenue opened a year ago, and its distinctive curved stainless steel architecture by Frank Gehry has become a part of the downtown scene. The 80-million dollar Ruvo Center will advance research and treatment of various neurological diseases. It was founded by businessman Larry Ruvo, who named the center after his father, who suffered from Alzheimer's disease. The Ohio-based Cleveland Clinic runs the facility, and officials expect thousands of patients a year as the senior population continues to grow in Las Vegas.