D40 vs D70s

well, i have couple friends who want to sell their D40 and D70s about $400 each. Im not sure which one to buy it off. I am a beginner in DSLR and i know D40 is a great beginner camera. I read comparison between d40 and d70s, they both come pretty close to each other.

any suggestion?

I don't think either the D70s or D40 is worth $400. ?Maybe $275 or $300 at the most.

True that... are they selling you just the body?

Nothing wrong with the kit 18-55mm lens, great for starting out and has good image quality, although with CS5 now around, any damn lens will do ;)

Go with the D70.

:)

a really old 18-55m f3.5-f5.6? That's a really old/crummy lens. It'll work fine if you're 100% new to DSLRs, though.

yep, that one.

so $400 is a bit too much for d40 and d70s with standard len?

uhhhh....

ehhhhh

maybee....

see if you can talk em down $25-50. Shop around and see what's on amazon.com used or craigslist.com. Try and work the "friend discount" in there ;)

uhhhh....

ehhhhh

maybee....

see if you can talk em down $25-50. Shop around and see what's on amazon.com used or craigslist.com. Try and work the "friend discount" in there ;)

the one who is selling D40 is my ex lol but we are close friend :D. D70S is my coworker's friend. I can probably ask for payment installment from D40 lol.

So both of them have the same 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens? Neither one is the VR version?

D40 and D70S are with standard 18-55MM f/3.5-5.6 len.

Here is the thing.

My friend bought D40 brand new and she barely use it so it is almost brand new. Cuz she is going to buy Olypmous Pen. She is also going to give the bag and memory card to me. She also has 50mm f/1.4G which I am going to buy it off from her when i have the money, cuz it is not cheap. She can do money installment. :D

The D70S one, my coworker's friend has been using it for about 3 years. So it is pretty used... and I don't know the person so I am not sure how he/she handle the camera.

both of them i can try to talk down the price, hopefully. but at the same time i dont want to rip my friend off. :p

what is VR? vibration reduction? dont think d40 or d70s has it?

VR is on the lens, not the camera bodies. So you can buy lenses with VR and put it on any body.

Maybe try the D70s + the 50mm f1.4 in the future. That's not a bad combo at all.

Lenses are more important than the camera body when it comes to image quality.

For Nikon DSLRs, Image Stabilization (or Vibration Reduction, as Nikon calls it) is located on the lenses. Newer bodies came with the VR lens as its kit lens so I was just asking which version you were being offered.

The fact that the D70s has been used a lot more than the D40 is an important factor to consider, as is the financing.

However you can buy a brand new D40 kit for $399 on Best Buy ( http://www.bestbuy.c...6&skuId=8139169 ) so I don't think you're getting the best deal.