What does waka waka mean?

It's 2010 South Africa FIFA world cup theme song sang by Shakera. Is it South African language? I use Google translate and Microsoft Engkoo but cannot find any result.

wow...I can't believe FIFA uses male masturbation for the theme song name :whistle:

Thanks for all the replies! Seems there are so many definition of waka waka.

doesn't have any real meaning, its more of a sound that the singer and some people associates with tribal people.

i really think it was a bad choice of music, africa has some real nice tones and pretty decent musicians that could be used, but they gave for shakira the pleasure to make all africans sound undeveloped monkeys.

not only the music is stupid, people are complaining about the ball used too...

The only meaning is Pacman eating the dudes(after he eats a pill), and I'm sure that The 'She Wolf' knows that too......or the marriage is off.

Waka Waka Waka - it's the noise Pacman makes when he eats those dots!!! :p

Thats what I thought the thread was going to be about when I clicked on it.

It's 2010 South Africa FIFA world cup theme song sang by Shakera. Is it South African language? I use Google translate and Microsoft Engkoo but cannot find any result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamina_mina_%28Zangalewa%29

The lyrics, which are in a Cameroonian language called Fang, read like this:

Za mina mina eh eh

Waka waka eh eh

Waka waka means Do it - as in perform a task
Shakira’s song with Freshlyground for the 2010 World Cup Waka Waka (This Time For Africa) sample this song

I also thought this thread was going to be about PacMan man I must be getting old

I also thought this thread was going to be about PacMan man I must be getting old

You are and so am I because I thought the same thing. :)

waka waka ya'll wanna hear some funny a** jokes lol but yeah i thought muppets too

this is what it reminded me of

Fozzie bear of the muppets says that as part of his routine

That was the first thing I thought of too! I'm glad I'm not the only one old enough here to remember the Muppet Show.

Every time I see this thread appear in the Spy I think, "Pacman." Then I'm reminded of the University students that did that pacman prank and I smile :)

I personally think the song sucks and Shakira was a terrible choice for an artist. Some artist FROM SOUTH AFRICA should have written and performed the official song.

A direct answer to the OP, waka waka means do it, as in to preform a task. Shakira got it from an african song called Zangal?wa by a band called Golden Sounds.

Here is more info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamina_mina_(Zangalewa)

I personally think the song sucks and Shakira was a terrible choice for an artist. Some artist FROM SOUTH AFRICA should have written and performed the official song.

I partly agree with you. I think the song is okay, but Shakira did to a good job including the African history into the song.