Best Affordable SLR Camera for Novice

There's such a massive difference between the D40 and D5000. Don't get anything less than the D5000. The D5000 has the same sensor as the D300s, an $1800 pro camera. That makes it very good deal for the price.

Oh and they don't even make the D40 any more; it's been replaced by the D3000.

I own a D40 myself and if I had the choice now I would agree with crazzy88ss :)

The D40 is a significantly "weaker" camera than the D90 or the D5000. Low ISO performance as well as AF are OK but nowhere near as good.

Check the date of those reviews. The D40 was great a few years ago but the market has moved forward and changed.

The D40 is a significantly "weaker" camera than the D90 or the D5000. Low ISO performance as well as AF are OK but nowhere near as good.

Check the date of those reviews. The D40 was great a few years ago but the market has moved forward and changed.

Agreed the difference is major!

sorry for the mini-hijack but a friend is either going to buy a canon 1000d or nikon d3000. The two packages are:

Canon 1000D with 18-55 & 75-300(both non-is)

AND

Nikon D3000 with 18-55VR & 55-200VR.

Now there is an $80 difference and they want to know whether it is worth paying extra. I think it is because of the "IS lenses" but heopfully you guys can give me some feedback.

These are the only two they are considering.

sorry for the mini-hijack but a friend is either going to buy a canon 1000d or nikon d3000. The two packages are:

Canon 1000D with 18-55 & 75-300(both non-is)

AND

Nikon D3000 with 18-55VR & 55-200VR.

Now there is an $80 difference and they want to know whether it is worth paying extra. I think it is because of the "IS lenses" but heopfully you guys can give me some feedback.

These are the only two they are considering.

Next time please start your own thread, this sub-forum doesn't have that many threads so we're able to check them all out.

I'd recommend the D3000 as it is simply a more advanced camera an the VR lenses will make a difference. May I ask what each package is worth?

yea sorry about that, they're buying the camera in a couple of hours, so just though a few posts rather than a thread would do. Due to circumstance these are the only two which they can get and the price difference is around $80 but they want it as cheap as possible. I'm thinking it is better to get the nikon, hopefully i can convince them before they get it.