Kinect - Inital Impressions

i think that if you want lag free gaming, you will have to stick to a controller... if you want something like playing a RTS where its a pain in the butt with a controller, then Natal/Kinect is for you, the lag is negligible when you are doing stuff like building your base (unless you are an actions-per-minute freak in which case you'll just have to get used to the lag to mantain your APM)

i wonder if its possible to have a tradeoff between accuracy and lag? instant response (i.e. sitting in a cockpit during combat) vs fine positioning (playing Jenga)

i think not alot of people realize yet that Natal is not a controller replacement, if you are using the wireless controllers and you have Natal installed, the games might even ask you to stand up and do some gestures to perform some special action in-game...

it doesnt seem so unreasonable for Natal to be able to track and heuristically process an the shape of an Xbox360 controller and know which direction its pointing and stuff... Natal would probably be used for the puzzle sections, like you could see your character's hands instead of icons explaining which controller buttons do what...

now that i think about it, im really looking forward to is playing Jenga with Natal, just the thoughts of having the blocks as big or small as you want, reaching right through other blocks 'with your bare hands', and having an 'undo' button after the collapse is giving me sensations of being in a beautiful place

Engadget's been posting previews from press parties, and they've been happy with almost everything about Kinect, which is fairly substantial from Engadget, since they (IMO) don't mince words if they feel a product isn't good enough.

Engadget's been posting previews from press parties, and they've been happy with almost everything about Kinect, which is fairly substantial from Engadget, since they (IMO) don't mince words if they feel a product isn't good enough.

A friend of mine was at the event yesterday and they had Kinect on the floor for people to try. Said it was sweet as heck.

Exactly, they'd be the first to bash it to hell if it wasn't good at all.

This is not for me. I wouldn't want it for free. Wouldn't get any use what-so-ever.

This in noway will replace the Wii, and can't see it topping Move even.

It's very limited without any type of controls. I don't have any interest in petting virtual pets, yoga, nor causing actions by jumping/leaning/waving/speaking. I noticed in the presentation whenever the person had his/her hands directly in front, Kinect would totally lose their movement. It highly relies on hands being at their sides. That boxing/exercise demo came to mind. Notice the targets on the punching bag were always at its sides. If this isn't limited, I don't know what is. This is a problem nonexistent in Wii/Move.

After seeing this thing in action, I'm more interested in seeing Move. I have a feeling the Socom Move demo alone will wipe the floor with Kinects whole presentation, which I thought was a joke. Having controls just broadens the possibilities, actions and immersion.

I don't care for either Kinect or Move. I had a Wii and it was a huge mistake in purchasing. But if I had to choose which would fit me, definitely Move.

I'm not as disappointed with Kinect itself as the lineup of games they have. Over and over they said stuff about quality and no gimmick stuff - but that's all i saw in the games they displayed. I would love if they could integrate it with like a fantasy RPG in that i could use the controller to play, but you can also use your hand to cast spells, that way if i can't react fast enough with the controller i can throw out my hand and see the game cast a spell.

My disappointment with Kinect has to do with Rare. They've only managed to make a game that I have no interest in: Kinect Sports. Ever since MS bought them, they've gone downhill. :(

It seems people who tested it are pleased with it, I'm sure with more "hardcore" games using it in new ways it can become a lot more interesting. The thing is this is a technology, it's up to the developers to use it in a good way.

My disappointment with Kinect has to do with Rare. They've only managed to make a game that I have no interest in: Kinect Sports. Ever since MS bought them, they've gone downhill. :(

I am indeed disappointed Rare isn't making more major games. It seems Microsoft is using them just to expand the 360 as a platform -- I mean, they were the ones who came up with avatars.

I am indeed disappointed Rare isn't making more major games. It seems Microsoft is using them just to expand the 360 as a platform -- I mean, they were the ones who came up with avatars.

Who knows what 2011 will bring though? But I figure it's expected that their big first party studio would do some kinect stuff, who else will if you don't do some 1st party games as well?

I wouldn't call Rare out yet on the hardcore game front though.

Don't like the new name. It's like "connect" but terribly incorrect. Well I can't say much, my username does not have the most accurate spelling. :p It seems to combine the idea of connecting yourself to the console while giving off kinetic energy? :turned:

Looks like a solid addition to the Xbox 360. Can't wait to see what happens to Wii after this hits homes near you. :laugh:

And, who were these people? Consumers, developers, etc?

Was the Hardcore gamers hated Wii's controllers... totally similar to how they all hate Kinect also.

But one MAJOR difference - Kinect has NO controllers!

Personally, that's WAY BETTER!

Celebrities love it, so I am pretty sure, their word of mouth is gonna be powerful and Kinect WILL be a WIN!

This is not for me. I wouldn't want it for free. Wouldn't get any use what-so-ever.

It's very limited without any type of controls.

But the Kinect isn't necessarily without controls. you can use it with the pad, the wheel, or the guitar or anything else.

Ever wanted to lean in BFBC2 but without sacrificing any of the controller buttons to lean ? well then use kinect and lean slightly in your hair or sofa, or just tilt your head slightly, the the character leans. Driving Hard on forza and wondering what's around the corner ? turn your head slightly and the guy on the screen turns his head. letting you look into the corner (something that's essential to taking good corners). Playing Guitar Hero/Band Hero/whatever Hero and want pedals for effects, or some different fancy modes, well. Kinect takes care of that as well. Now try to do any of that With Move or Wii that require you to use their controllers...

So far, I love how it can intergrate with NXE. which is awesome. The fact I can voice activate to stuff is awesome.

Voice activation is a great innovation for the console. It's like MS took a play from the Ford Sync playbook they have out there.

Oh my god. I knew the games would be gimmicky, but those were horrible. Voice control and auto-signin are really the only things I can see using this for.

edit: I just noticed taht in the ubisoft fitness thing she is NOT playing it. It is obviously a recording that she is mimicking. Why do I say this? You can clearly see a couple of parts where either the person on screen starts the workout early or ends early. There's also a few parts where she's moving around and it doesn't match up on screen

Oh my god. I knew the games would be gimmicky, but those were horrible. Voice control and auto-signin are really the only things I can see using this for.

edit: I just noticed taht in the ubisoft fitness thing she is NOT playing it. It is obviously a recording that she is mimicking. Why do I say this? You can clearly see a couple of parts where either the person on screen starts the workout early or ends early. There's also a few parts where she's moving around and it doesn't match up on screen

the product launch is screwed up, it was all prerecorded and the actors were out of sync

It's been said a few times but you can use kinect + controller for hardcore games. Either have head tracking in shooters or racers etc, giving voice commands to a squad, gestures would be a plus also. The controller is limited to the buttons it has really, but with kinect you can either give a large number of voice commands, or hand signals like in real life that won't mess with the already crouded controller setup.

Just think of it as a bonus ontop of the controller adding more options, it can be done and I'm sure devs are already thinking about it.

but with kinect you can either give a large number of voice commands, or hand signals like in real life that won't mess with the already crouded controller setup.

Can't you already give orders via the headset? Didn't one of Ubisofts RTS's do that? You're not going to get the pin point accuracy from motion control either.

"GET BEHIND COVER!"

"... NO THE OTHER COVER!"

"**** THE OTHER COVER!"

"GOD ****ING DAMN IT!"

Sure I can raise my arm for start or stop but why would I do that when I can press a button?

Edit: Endwar did voice commands a few years ago and it flopped apparently.

Looks pretty nifty, the technology behind it is amazing in my eyes. But I probably won't be getting one anyways.

Can't you already give orders via the headset? Didn't one of Ubisofts RTS's do that? You're not going to get the pin point accuracy from motion control either.

"GET BEHIND COVER!"

"... NO THE OTHER COVER!"

"**** THE OTHER COVER!"

"GOD ****ING DAMN IT!"

Sure I can raise my arm for start or stop but why would I do that when I can press a button?

Edit: Endwar did voice commands a few years ago and it flopped apparently.

Well aren't you full of creativity and imagination. I'm giving some ideas, if you have any then I'm all ears.

And why would I have to get up, look for a controller/remote if I can just wave and give a quick voice command? It works both ways.