About Canon's Rebel T2i

A couple of months ago I started a thread asking for advice on which camera to get (first dSLR) and I was set on either the D5000 or the T1i. Luckily, the person who was supposed to buy it for me, well, couldn't. I'm now leaning towards the T2i, which isn't exactly that much different from the T1i but it's got great reviews. The new LCD looks amazing, ISO up to 6400 and of course, Full HD at 30fps (+ manual exposure control) is always welcome. So, can you think of a reason why I shouldn't get it? I thought about the 50D but I think it's way out of my league.

I'm also considering getting the body only and replace the kit lens with the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, which I believe is the kit lens that comes with the 7D? I'll probably get the 50mm f/1.8 prime lens too, later on.

What do you think?

The T2i has a better sensor (and better image quality) than the T1i or D5000 so it is a better camera overall. Also, while the 50D has a better build, twin dials and a few more advanced features, it is due for a replacement and would not recommend buying it right now.

I think that a 28-135 might not be wide enough for an APS-C sensor so keep that in mind. I'm not really that familiar with the Canon lens options for that range but the new Sigma 17-50/2.8 with OS and HSM seems like a good choice for an APS-C camera.

I think that a 28-135 might not be wide enough for an APS-C sensor so keep that in mind. I'm not really that familiar with the Canon lens options for that range but the new Sigma 17-50/2.8 with OS and HSM seems like a good choice for an APS-C camera.

I haven't considered the 1.6x factor, I'll keep that in mind. I just assumed the 25-135 would be of better quality since it comes with the 7D, and the range just suits me better. Also, I would consider the Sigma but it's a bit out of my price range, for now.

I'm also considering the 50mm f/1.8, for the shallow DoF and low light situations. Now, I don't know about the magnification ratio but what about macro shots?

Thank you. You've been very helpful, as usual. :)

I just have one more question. I'm also considering one of those package deals, instead of the 28-135 (around 400$ plus 800$ for the body), it comes with the kit lens + an extra 55-250 zoom lens (I'm staying away from the 75-300, no IS) for 1,050$. I'm just worried about the quality, is the 28-135 worth it?

I am actually thinking of getting the 7D and my two lenses will be the exact same as you, the 50MM 1.8 and the 28-135 to start. I have seen great reviews for both. The only thing that sucks is that you are going to pay 400 for the 28-135. Best Buy has a deal with the 7D where you only pay an extra 200 to get the 28-135. Pretty good deal considering they are already lowering the price of the 7D by 100 and they give a 36 month finance deal so you can pay over 3 years. I would check out bestbuy.com and see if you can find a similar deal for the T2I.

I am actually thinking of getting the 7D and my two lenses will be the exact same as you, the 50MM 1.8 and the 28-135 to start. I have seen great reviews for both. The only thing that sucks is that you are going to pay 400 for the 28-135. Best Buy has a deal with the 7D where you only pay an extra 200 to get the 28-135. Pretty good deal considering they are already lowering the price of the 7D by 100 and they give a 36 month finance deal so you can pay over 3 years. I would check out bestbuy.com and see if you can find a similar deal for the T2I.

Well, I did some research and turns out, while the 28-135's build quality is better than the newer lenses, the optics are not. And even though it has USM, you have to take into consideration the fact that this is a 7 year old lens, a lot has changed since then. There's also the 1.6x factor, so 28mm is actually 44mm. So, I'll probably stick with the kit lens + the 55-250 for now, and get the 50mm prime lens.

Actually, I did check out bestbuy, that's where I found the package deal. :)

For a walkaround lens I think having 18mm is far nicer, I find that it helps a lot when shooting landscapes and the like...

Truthfully, if you think you'll ever get serious in photography, I'd shoot for a 2nd hand 40D or 50D. After using a Rebel XSI after coming from a 40D/7D, I was severely disappointed in the functions and ease of use. Quality was fine, but it took a lot more luck to get it to focus on the baseball players.

Guys, does anyone know where I can get the T2i in London? Everywhere I look it's either too expensive or out of stock. Please, this is urgent.

Guys, does anyone know where I can get the T2i in London? Everywhere I look it's either too expensive or out of stock. Please, this is urgent.

If you'll be there for a few days you can have it ordered on Amazon.co.uk and have it shipped to your hotel? Ask in your hotel if they handle this (this is assuming you're staying in a reputable place that won't **** you over).

It's called the 550D in the UK, BTW.

If you'll be there for a few days you can have it ordered on Amazon.co.uk and have it shipped to your hotel? Ask in your hotel if they handle this (this is assuming you're staying in a reputable place that won't **** you over).?

It's called the 550D in the UK, BTW.

The thing is I'm not the one buying it, I don't think I can use a different address (shipping) than the one on the credit card, even if I could, I can't exactly risk it not being delivered on time, he's leaving on Sunday, I think.

Thanks a lot for putting up with me. :)

on amazon you CAN use a different shipping address and IF you pay for overnight shipping today, it might be there on friday!

Yeah, turns out I can, I signed up yesterday so I can try it. I'm looking at the one with the 18-135 lens right now, 3 left in stock, but everything in the UK is so damn expensive! o.O

i have the 28-135mm lens and it is great! it's a perfect first lens... then get a nice prime for portraits or a telephoto for nature/sport or whatever later...

and the T2i is the best value you'll ever find, nothing is even close to it...

My wife is a photographer, she uses a Canon Rebel EOS XTI. It is a great camera. She wants to get the 7D also, that is an amazing camera ..

i have the 28-135mm lens and it is great! it's a perfect first lens... then get a nice prime for portraits or a telephoto for nature/sport or whatever later...

and the T2i is the best value you'll ever find, nothing is even close to it...

I've read mixed reviews about the 28-135, I'm sure it's a great lens but I think I'll go with the 18-135 for now. :)

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

UK price comparison for camera's and accessories.

Thanks a lot! :)

My wife is a photographer, she uses a Canon Rebel EOS XTI. It is a great camera. She wants to get the 7D also, that is an amazing camera ..

Even if I could afford the 7D I'd still get the T2i, this is after all my first dSLR. Also, the price difference is just not worth it, at least for me. If she's a serious photographer, she'll definitely enjoy the 7D.

Did you manage to get the camera?

lol - not yet, I know people in the states, UK, even Portugal and I still can't get it. It's either out of stock, too expensive or not the right package. Should be here soon though, this has been going on for too long now.