[WC2010] Game 29 - Brazil vs. Ivory Coast

Who will win game 29?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Brazil, Ivory Coast or Draw?

2. 2. How many goals will Brazil Score?

3. 3. How many goals will Ivory Coast score?

Frankly I think it's obvious Kaka shouldn't have been sent off. Ok he raises his elbow, but if you see someone coming straight at you out of the corner of your eye, you automatically raise an arm to protect yourself. He was not looking at Keita and there doesn't seem to be any malice involved. So what happened wouldn't be counted as a foul if the acting was taken out of it (see below for an elaboration).

Either way I don't see how the ref could book him for something he didn't see. The replays clearly show he was looking towards the sideline. If he didn't see what happened, how did he judge what happened deserved a yellow card? When the commentators on the BBC said the replay was showing on the big screen the ref wasn't even looking then. I didn't once see him have a chat with his assistant away from the players. So the only thing he could have based his decision on was what Kaite looked like on the ground and the protests from the Ivory Coast players which doesn't bode well for an impartial decision. The ref was a waste of time. With Fabiano's second goal it seemed he talked to Fabiano after and pointed to his arm as if to ask did you handle the ball and accpepted a no from Fabiano. That is poor refing. But I can forgive that incident as he might not have seen the hand balls and if not then the goal stands as the current rules don't dictate the need for a replay so the ref has to award the goal if noone saw the handling. You may say I'm being biased but you can recoup a goal, you can't recoup a player. So the loss of a team member even though it was at the end of the match in this incident did have more of a potential (in my opinion I admit) to alter the course of a match than an unfair goal. Either way Both decisions were wrong I'm just saying one was worse.

As far as I can see these two incidents particularly the sending off highlight the need for a fourth official with the TV replays as a tool. I don't care who says that it isn't in the spirit of the game like FIFA said a while back when they dismissed TV replays affecting decisions. Issues like this certainly aren't in the spirit of the game and they will continue to blight it until some action is taken. I can't see any good reasons not to implement the use of technology in decision making.

As for the person who said what goes around comes around (I can't be bothered to go back and quote) regarding the Rivaldo incident, well he got a ban from, I think it was, two matches so he got his comeuppance. So that argument holds no water. The shame of it is I don't think Kaka has a chance of appeal as they won't reverse the ref's decision.

Frankly I think it's obvious Kaka shouldn't have been sent off. Ok he raises his elbow, but if you see someone coming straight at you out of the corner of your eye, you automatically raise an arm to protect yourself. He was not looking at Keita and there doesn't seem to be any malice involved. So what happened wouldn't be counted as a foul if the acting was taken out of it (see below for an elaboration).

Either way I don't see how the ref could book him for something he didn't see. The replays clearly show he was looking towards the sideline. If he didn't see what happened, how did he judge what happened deserved a yellow card? When the commentators on the BBC said the replay was showing on the big screen the ref wasn't even looking then. I didn't once see him have a chat with his assistant away from the players. So the only thing he could have based his decision on was what Kaite looked like on the ground and the protests from the Ivory Coast players which doesn't bode well for an impartial decision. The ref was a waste of time. With Fabiano's second goal it seemed he talked to Fabiano after and pointed to his arm as if to ask did you handle the ball and accpepted a no from Fabiano. That is poor refing. But I can forgive that incident as he might not have seen the hand balls and if not then the goal stands as the current rules don't dictate the need for a replay so the ref has to award the goal if noone saw the handling. You may say I'm being biased but you can recoup a goal, you can't recoup a player. So the loss of a team member even though it was at the end of the match in this incident did have more of a potential (in my opinion I admit) to alter the course of a match than an unfair goal. Either way Both decisions were wrong I'm just saying one was worse.

As far as I can see these two incidents particularly the sending off highlight the need for a fourth official with the TV replays as a tool. I don't care who says that it isn't in the spirit of the game like FIFA said a while back when they dismissed TV replays affecting decisions. Issues like this certainly aren't in the spirit of the game and they will continue to blight it until some action is taken. I can't see any good reasons not to implement the use of technology in decision making.

As for the person who said what goes around comes around (I can't be bothered to go back and quote) regarding the Rivaldo incident, well he got a ban from, I think it was, two matches so he got his comeuppance. So that argument holds no water. The shame of it is I don't think Kaka has a chance of appeal as they won't reverse the ref's decision.

let me ask you this question:

are you sure you know the whole thing? what we know is just through a few camera lenses.

are you sure he stayed put after that elbowing? are you sure you saw what the referee saw?

I'm amazed how people can write such long essay just based on one camera shot.

edit: the referee didn't pull out the yellow card immediately when he saw that. He only showed the yellow card and red card after all the arguing/ganging. So there must be something happened in between.

Despite all that happened this ref was still better than the one during germany-serbia game. This one was at least lenient.

Despite all that happened this ref was still better than the one during germany-serbia game. This one was at least lenient.

let alone the smiling face of the referee when he asked fabiano about handball :rolleyes:

let alone the smiling face of the referee when he asked fabiano about handball :rolleyes:

It seems that he knew about it, but it was too late to do something.

I watched the replay of the match again tonight...and the Kaka card was unnecessary....the ivory coast did some acting there...but i suspect what led to this was Kaka's yellow card a few minutes before this one...where there was a similar situation where Brazil was acting an injury too and alot of arguing by Kaka with the ref....i suspect ivory coast did this because of if Brasil is gonna getaway with it might as well they give them one to think about..

there was alot going on here...before this last card....you have to watch the game....Brasil did alot of whining for fouls and free kicks which also led to 3 yellows on the Ivory Coast....so i guess what goes around comes around for Brasil... quit the whining and faking...why would you need to do that if your a highly skilled team already!!

I watched the replay of the match again tonight...and the Kaka card was unnecessary....the ivory coast did some acting there...but i suspect what led to this was Kaka's yellow card a few minutes before this one...where there was a similar situation where Brazil was acting an injury too and alot of arguing by Kaka with the ref....i suspect ivory coast did this because of if Brasil is gonna getaway with it might as well they give them one to think about..

there was alot going on here...before this last card....you have to watch the game....Brasil did alot of whining for fouls and free kicks which also led to 3 yellows on the Ivory Coast....so i guess what goes around comes around for Brasil... quit the whining and faking...why would you need to do that if your a highly skilled team already!!

exactly!

It seems that he knew about it, but it was too late to do something.

u have to watch fabiano when he denied it :D

The result is 3-1. Drogba is very excellent player but he couldn't help his team win the match. In the other hand, Brazil is Amazing, they have a very good match. Congratulation Brazil. Hope them will be the champion.

I don't know anybody called Drogba....

let me ask you this question:

are you sure you know the whole thing? what we know is just through a few camera lenses.

are you sure he stayed put after that elbowing? are you sure you saw what the referee saw?

I'm amazed how people can write such long essay just based on one camera shot.

edit: the referee didn't pull out the yellow card immediately when he saw that. He only showed the yellow card and red card after all the arguing/ganging. So there must be something happened in between.

Of course I don't know the whole thing. I don't know exactly what the players and the ref said but you can get a pretty good indication of the situation from the body language and reactions. That aside the fact that the ref didn't see it can't be denied, no different camera angle would show that he was looking towards Kaka and Kaite. Otherwise why would the ref take such a long time in carding Kaka? That was the crux of my point and I can't see how you can refute that. If you can then say so. Just saying I got a whole essay from one replay (which actually isn't the case) is a very spurious argument and doesn't really hold any water. As for the camera shot in the replay of the incident not being clear (which I assume is what you are getting at), well, Kaite holds his face so we can assume that he is trying to say he got hit there. We have full view of that area of his face throughout the replay and there is absolutely no contact there! Even the pundits agree that it shouldn't be a carding. To begin with I thought Kaka deserved it because I gave Kaite the benefit of doubt, exactly how I expect the ref did. But I changed my mind when I actually saw what happened.

To summarise I can't see where you are trying to go with your point!