Why I won't subscribe

Honestly, if I had a job (18 months unemployed) I'd totally pay to support a site I've been visiting since 2003, as it is right now, the best I can do is whitelist this site. It's a great site and the perks for subscribing is just a generous bonus for all that this site gives.

• Like 2

Honestly, if I had a job (18 months unemployed) I'd totally pay to support a site I've been visiting since 2003, as it is right now, the best I can do is whitelist this site. It's a great site and the perks for subscribing is just a generous bonus for all that this site gives.

ditto

Yeah the bonuses seem small because we don't want to restrict members or force people into paying for content.

The Backstage Pass forum really is just a relaxed Members Metropolis that requires little or no moderation, which is the reason it's still there.

I've been thinking of subscribing for a while now. The mods here are pretty good and this site is one of very few that I regularly go to. I seem to get leniency for my frank attitude, and want to support that

I've been thinking of subscribing for a while now. The mods here are pretty good and this site is one of very few that I regularly go to. I seem to get leniency for my frank attitude, and want to support that

You know you want to. :p

/face palm

Ozgeek why are you making Aussies look bad.

The benefits are just little extra's for donating, I think you'd find alot of peeps would donate just to support a good site and great community. Its not like their holding a gun to your head, if you want to kick in a bit to support the boards great, but dont bitch about value you for money like your signing up for a professional service.

Cool then stick to Whirlpool. Whilst i will admit it is a good community, but the WP forums lack quite a large amount of features as offered by other forums including this one, plus WP has a serious censorship issue and very heavy handed mods.

Im an active member of both, but you hit the nail on the head with your description there. Each board has a good mix of different areas where theres high activity alot of knowledgable people and good members, I dont see it as a zero-sum one or the other. They are both great assets and communities to be apart of, but also have their own unique things

lol. I think I'll start small though and go for subscriber 1 this year and take it from there. I'm getting hit pretty hard with expenses this year, so I doubt I can justify 40 bucks. 20 I think I can do pretty easily though. I have to wait until I get home though. I don't want to transmit any sensitive info on this network. I don't exactly trust the IT department here.

If you dont like it then feck off to your silly washing machine forum.

I hope your trolling its a tech forum http://whirlpool.net.au/ :p

Someone complaining about something they dont need to purchase to use the forum? and nothing of importance was lost..

You have almost 7000 posts on this forum and you feel you don't need to support it even a little bit? Who cares about what you get for subscribing. It's supporting a forum that you post on quite regularly. Such a weird attitude to take. :wacko:

posting 7000 is a good support for a forum...

You can't really compare forums to Whirlpool - WP is very unique and the software was written for itself so it has a lot of cool features that aren't available anywhere else.

I would subscribe if Stevens misses came and cleaned my house in the buff. Obviously being a tech-geek Mrs. Parker will be stunning.

You really think the rest of us subscribe for the features?

With the exception of the ad blocking, Neobond could remove all those other perks and I'd still give these guys money.

Support the site for what it gives you, not bonus freebies

I been having a look at the subscriber benefit list and I am going to have to say all this is a bull ripoff.

* Your own hosted blog.

So many FREE blog sites on the internet.

* Unlimited edit time for your topic titles & posts.

Common standard on many forums I visit for free. Whirlpool.net.au for example.

* Boosts PM storage to 200 messages, allows PM attachments and up to 10 participants per conversation.

This one is okay but not what I really need

* Removes flood control.

Common standard on many forums I visit for free. Steam and whirlpool.net.au forums for example.

* Raises the upload limit for attachments to 4mb (per post).

Is sandard with the increase of HHDs and file handling sizes.

* Allows you to give out 20 rep points (instead of 5) daily.

Steam forums allows you to vote unlimited.

* Includes a private & support forum.

What? forums? Is that free? Isn't the point of neowin in the first place? Billions of FREE forums.

* Sneak peaks and testing of new features being added to Neowin.

I don't care for features. You change too much it's driving me away. Whirlpool.net.au has been the pretty much same since I signed up to it.

* Choose from 5 Neowin domain related email accounts (instead of 2).

Don't need it if we got gmail or our ISP-issued email address. Even my ISP allows me to create 5 email addresses for my family included in my monthy internet fee.

* All advertising removed professionally by Neowin.

Possilby the only best feature. If you want people to subscribe, and to discourage them from using ad-blockers then have scripts that detect ad-blockers and disable key features like if adblockers are detected and encourge people to DONATE, not subscribe.

I'm sorry but it looks like neowin is preying on people for money on features that is pretty standard on other forums I visit at NO charge at all. This is why I have decreased my visiting to this forum by about half. Since 2003 (when I first visited this site), the neowin forums has gone from a full forum with livid and helipful information to a cut-down forum where I'm forced to pay if I want to get features that I get for free in other forums.

you seem to not know the real reason why we subscribe.

I don't understand what this thread is for - Subscription is an option. If you don't like the features, then don't subscribe. Nobody is really bothered by it.

It's not meant for everyone - like any other product out there.

posting 7000 is a good support for a forum...

How so? All that posting was using the bandwidth on the servers for free. I don't get what you're trying to say here.

How so? All that posting was using the bandwidth on the servers for free. I don't get what you're trying to say here.

7,000 posts would show an active member of the forums, someone who over the course of all those posts has likely contributed to the boards and been a long-term members. Something also important to a community.

To the Op.

I am very active on WP, and I love the place. But Neowin is THE source for information. They provide a lot of information to a lot of WP users too, so ease up on them a bit. It costs Neowin a lot more to stay alive than it takes for Simon to have his fully managed and fully donated servers.

And just on some of the comments on WP.

It's a site frequented by every major Telco, ISP and every media outlet. The mods have to be strict. I love the place. There is never ANY bull****.

7,000 posts would show an active member of the forums, someone who over the course of all those posts has likely contributed to the boards and been a long-term members. Something also important to a community.

+1

I know I contribute just by posting and trying to help others. Every member and every post counts as it attracts more members and more posts. Still, there's a point where costs have to come into play, and that is why subscriptions exist.

Neowin is not just a Forum, its a Community..

Your not Giving money to some Big Corporate someplace your giveing it back to the Community.

one day i Do plan on Subing to neowin its worth it for me.

Neowin Rocks.

Great forum. Great People. Great Community Spirit.

Haha.

Comparing Neowin with WP is like grabbing an orange and calling it an apple.