[vid] Interesting take on why Americans dont follow soccer (football)

Is there a "Cliff Notes" version?

pretty much americans dont like that people talk down to them about their knowledge and all the diving acting that goes on during games.

pretty much americans dont like that people talk down to them about their knowledge and all the diving acting that goes on during games.

ah ok. I always just thought it was boring to watch. I enjoyed playing soccer when I was younger....almost as much as Football Americano. However, this is coming from someone who finds watching baseball, basketball, golf ... is boring. Playing said sports (golf excluded) is fun.

American Football is sooo boring there's hardly ever any action, every 5 secs or so they stop play have a rest and do that gay group hug *fondling is prevalent*

American Football is sooo boring there's hardly ever any action, every 5 secs or so they stop play have a rest and do that gay group hug *fondling is prevalent*

I don't recall this thread being about American football, nor did anyone talk about it.

Soccer is boring. We all have our opinions. End of story.

It's a ****ing sport. Interesting or not, you're still sitting on your ass not doing anything productive while someone's running around hitting/throwing/etc. an object/ball.

Might as well watch a pendulum.

One word: lol.

Why LOL? You're saying that Italy isn't a first World country?

As for "diving" you see it everywhere no matter what country the sport is played in.

I don't recall this thread being about American football, nor did anyone talk about it.

Soccer is boring. We all have our opinions. End of story.

Exactly. The same way there are those who think that American eggball is a sissy version of Rugby (a real sport, played everywhere around the world by real people).

As for "diving" you see it everywhere no matter what country the sport is played in.

Exactly. The same way there are those who think that American eggball is a sissy version of Rugby (a real sport, played everywhere around the world by real people).

American football isnt a sissy version of Rugby, People get hurt playing that game all the time and im not talking about faking injuries. Peoples been paralyzed playing.I dont know how a sport could be classified as sissy when broken,arms/legs/hands/necks/backs/fingers not to mention ligament and tendon damage can happen.Those nice protective helmets can be a curse sometimes too.

I disagree with this guy on the whole 'we here in america have several other sports that are wayyyyy more popular than soccer ever will be'. Maybe in America, but if this guy would leave his shell for a second, he's realize that Futbol is the most popular game in the WORLD, and no other sport (IMO) will ever reach each corner of the globe or be as popular.

I personally can't stand the sport. It bores the hell out of me. I could only stomach it as a video game. laugh.gif

GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLL L L L L L ! ! ! /shirt over head, sliiiiiiiiiide....

(I've always wanted to do that^) :p

I disagree with this guy on the whole 'we here in america have several other sports that are wayyyyy more popular than soccer ever will be'. Maybe in America, but if this guy would leave his shell for a second, he's realize that Futbol is the most popular game in the WORLD, and no other sport (IMO) will ever reach each corner of the globe or be as popular.

I personally can't stand the sport. It bores the hell out of me. I could only stomach it as a video game. laugh.gif

GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLL L L L L L ! ! ! /shirt over head, sliiiiiiiiiide....

(I've always wanted to do that^) :p

Hes talking about in America there are lots of sports more popular. And hes right there are.

No, I just can't think of any national team that's more renowned for diving than the Italians xD

Well at first Baseball was the biggest sport in America then Football took over due to good marketing and association with toughness. Basketball also took off as.

I don't watch sports very often, generally only the championships, but to me soccer is boring as you just watch the ball being kicked back and forth between sides and rarely ever a goal. What's the average score for soccer? Two points or something? There isn't much excitement when the score is 0-0 for long periods of time. I can see why people are into Football. Generally if the disparity isn't too high it comes down to the fourth quarter where teams can pull off some miracle plays and go from being twenty-one points behind to winning the game. There's high potential for the game to swing the other way and that is generally more exciting.

Well at first Baseball was the biggest sport in America then Football took over due to good marketing and association with toughness. Basketball also took off as.

I don't watch sports very often, generally only the championships, but to me soccer is boring as you just watch the ball being kicked back and forth between sides and rarely ever a goal. What's the average score for soccer? Two points or something? There isn't much excitement when the score is 0-0 for long periods of time. I can see why people are into Football. Generally if the disparity isn't too high it comes down to the fourth quarter where teams can pull off some miracle plays and go from being twenty-one points behind to winning the game. There's high potential for the game to swing the other way and that is generally more exciting.

I use to think soccer was boring but after i actually sat down and watched it over a period of time it wasnt boring. You could say baseball was boring,Yeah they score more points sometimes but the pace is generally slow, i dont think baseball is boring either,however someone else might.The cry baby attitude that some soccer players take is what drives me away from soccer, that and bad reffing.

I use to think soccer was boring but after i actually sat down and watched it over a period of time it wasnt boring. You could say baseball was boring,Yeah they score more points sometimes but the pace is generally slow, i dont think baseball is boring either,however someone else might.The cry baby attitude that some soccer players take is what drives me away from soccer, that and bad reffing.

Baseball is boring and that's why it's steadily been on the decline in popularity. That and its better watched at home than at the stadium. I've watched full games of soccer. It just lacks that excitement. It's almost like watching a game of Pong (exaggeration).

Though I suppose I should mention that soccer, in my opinion, is much more fun to play than American Football. It's the other way around when it comes to watching the sports though.

Baseball is boring and that's why it's steadily been on the decline in popularity. That and its better watched at home than at the stadium. I've watched full games of soccer. It just lacks that excitement. It's almost like watching a game of Pong (exaggeration).

Though I suppose I should mention that soccer, in my opinion, is much more fun to play than American Football. It's the other way around when it comes to watching the sports though.

No i dont think baseball is in the decline because its boring i think its in decline because of the steroid controversy.If baseball was on the decline because its boring it would have been forgotten in time because it started way back in the 1860's so it would of been gone by now.

And i think American football is more fun to play than soccer. Theres more physical contact and this is just my opinion not fact or anything but i think it takes more skill to play as well because you sometimes have to make an acrobatic catch while someones in your face trying to get it too.I dunno i guess its just a matter of preference.

And i think American football is more fun to play than soccer. Theres more physical contact and this is just my opinion not fact or anything but i think it takes more skill to play as well because you sometimes have to make an acrobatic catch while someones in your face trying to get it too.I dunno i guess its just a matter of preference.

Football is far more skillful. I don't want to go into specifics, but since you brought it up - the acrobatics are more commonplace in American football because they wear loads of padding and protective wear. I wouldn't be afraid to make all kinds of leaps and jumps and crazy stuff I normally wouldn't be brave enough to attempt if I had that kind of protection on me too!

Football is far more skillful. I don't want to go into specifics, but since you brought it up - the acrobatics are more commonplace in American football because they wear loads of padding and protective wear. I wouldn't be afraid to make all kinds of leaps and jumps and crazy stuff I normally wouldn't be brave enough to attempt if I had that kind of protection on me too!

The thing is i play back yard tackle American football every time i get the chance and i make those leaps and jumps.When you play with your friends you dont wear pads.I dont know of anyone that plays back yard ball that wears pads. I think they would get laughed at actually lol.

Well yeah I wasn't talking about "for fun". Would you or your friends go as hard as you would in competition? Would you or your friends be afraid to get your head smashed when running at each other? This has no relevance! I sometimes play rugby for fun, that's the crazy Aussie one without padding even for professionals, and I know that I can run my skinny ass off because I won't have my head taken off. Try and get me into a competition and I say: "No thanks, I'll wear a skirt today!"

Well yeah I wasn't talking about "for fun". Would you or your friends go as hard as you would in competition? Would you or your friends be afraid to get your head smashed when running at each other? This has no relevance! I sometimes play rugby for fun, that's the crazy Aussie one without padding even for professionals, and I know that I can run my skinny ass off because I won't have my head taken off. Try and get me into a competition and I say: "No thanks, I'll wear a skirt today!"

I go hard either way competition or not i play hard all the time.The main reason the pads were implemented was because back in the day a few people were killed playing it so they forced the players to wear pads, and ever since its been evolving.

I like what Jon Stewart from The Daily Show said, "A game played by fourth graders that for some reason is taken seriously by adults in Europe." He's kinda right; the last time I played soccer, I was in the fourth grade.

I go hard either way competition or not i play hard all the time.The main reason the pads were implemented was because back in the day a few people were killed playing it so they forced the players to wear pads, and ever since its been evolving.

It evolved form Rugby, Americans thought Rugby was too violent and created a softer version of it. Rugby has no pads, no helmets... Man vs. Man.