[Windows: All] Do you use an antivirus program/firewall?

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use an antivirus/firewall application?

• Antivirus
    • Firewall
    • Both
    • Neither

I haven't used an anti-virus program in years and I haven't been hit with anything since I stopped. My reinstalls tend to come from poorly coded software and my interest in custom Windows themes.

So what's your guys' deal? Antivirus? Firewall? Both? Or just freebirding it like me? :p

EDIT: Should have made it clearer myself, didn't realize this before, but I inadvertently use the Windows Firewall now that I think of it. I thikn what best describes my computing setup is that I use the stock security provided to me on Windows 7 at fresh install (UAC on, Windows Firewall on)

I use (and payed for) Kaspersky Internet Security 2011. Does an excellent job I think :)

I've used the paid version of AVG for years. Never needed anything else. It grabs the page if I'm headed for a threat and with my OK it takes care of it for me. It updates automatically at a time I set. Only thing that's started recently and bugs me a bit is that most upgrades require a restart. Hate that when I'm already doing something.

I have not used a anti-virus for many years. They slow my laptop down significantly. I also have files from a very old virus I had called Win32.jeefo, which basically just writes a bunch of a text to the file (Does not hack you or infect you) It writes like "Blah blah dragon stuff" to the files it infects. So I got rid of it. Never had any real virus, and if I do get a virus, I can easily find out how to fix and remove it.

xD

I leave the standard Windows firewall running if that counts, but I don't run antivirus. Its primary function is to protect people who click on random things from themselves, and I don't need that.

I leave the standard Windows firewall running if that counts, but I don't run antivirus. Its primary function is to protect people who click on random things from themselves, and I don't need that.

Precisely.

I have not used a anti-virus for many years. They slow my laptop down significantly. I also have files from a very old virus I had called Win32.jeefo, which basically just writes a bunch of a text to the file (Does not hack you or infect you) It writes like "Blah blah dragon stuff" to the files it infects. So I got rid of it. Never had any real virus, and if I do get a virus, I can easily find out how to fix and remove it.

xD

Exactly!

I use the Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials. All I have needed and have been virus free for ages.

I agree with this. However, I'm running avast! antivirus anyway. It's very quiet and doesn't slow down the system. I've never had any threats for it to remove from my own PC (I haven't had a virus since the old Win 95 days). What avast! does, and the main reason I use it, is scan inserted media immediately and will protect it from infecting my computer. This is cool since I do some editing and graphic designing on the side and frequently use files people give me on their USB drives--aka, my computer is a slut and gets way more action than I do. avast! has detected and removed threats a few times before they ever had a chance to get on my system.

I think the firewall built into windows and most routers is perfect good enough, I just use Avast free antivirus and that is good enough, although I may run Malwarebytes from time to time to be sure!

frequently use files people give me on their USB drives--aka, my computer is a slut and gets way more action than I do

You, madam, have just made me laugh harder than I have in a while. Added to my sig.

You, sir, have just made me laugh harder than I have in a while. Added to my sig.

That's 'madam' to you ;) and thanks! I'm honoured. :D

Currently I'm not using anything except Windows build-in firewall (that doesn't count as a firewall).

It counts; it's a firewall. It's not like it's not a firewall, just because it comes with Windows, that's just, well, stupid.

I'm using standard Windows Firewall and Windows Defender. I have UAC enabled, without Secure Desktop, and UAC is secured to prompt for credentials, not just prompt for consent. Entering a password for each UAC prompt may seem a bit long winded, but one rarely sees UAC anyway, and I have a biometric fingerprint scanner on my laptop.

Just the default windows 7 firewall that i never altered. I stand by the statement "Viruses are based on the intelligence of the user" and I dont get viruses.

MSE and Windows 7 firewall. Seems good enough for me (since I seem to know what I am doing, hehe!).

My wife, however, uses the MSE I put on her Vista, the windows firewall, and always installs McAfee and Symantec "scanners" with various softwares she downloads. And then she wonders "what's wrong with my computer?"

I use Windows Firewall, and Microsoft Security Essentials; on my desktop (as i have kids that use it on a regular basis)

and on my laptop ... its just windows firewall, and UAC turned on ..