Neowin interview with IE9 team - questions?

Hi guys and girls,

We'll be conducting an interview with the Internet Explorer 9 team tomorrow afternoon via Twitter. Do you have any questions you'd like answering for IE9? Post them here.

Thanks

How about, "Is the UI being based on WPF?" I am very curious about that.

Will Internet Explorer continue to receive updates following each major release, such as Firefox and Chrome?

Will a mobile version be developed using the latest Trident engine in Internet Explorer 9?

As mentioned above by TDG; is there a market place or 'app store' planned for IE9 with user generated extensions and widgets made available?

I don't think that there will really be an app store for IE9, but leaked documentation says that it will likely be a part of Windows 8. :)

Is scrolling going to stay the way it is or will it be smoother like that of Firefox? I hate the way almost all other browsers don't scroll as smooth as firefox.

Will Internet Explorer continue to receive updates following each major release, such as Firefox and Chrome?

but it does.

security and stability updates all the times through WU

How much longer will it take until WP7 will get IE9 features?

Since IE9 will be hardware accelerated will that affect the battery life of laptops greatly? If so, will there be a way to turn that off?

When to expect the public beta!?

According to Neowin's anonymous source and leak documents from Microsoft, Internet Explorer 9 beta 1 will be release in August 2010.

Will the IE9 Engine be the basis of Windows Phone 7's browser as well as Zune HD etc, all be it with specific UI for those screens?

The initial rendering engine is based on IE7, but Microsoft has plan to upgrade the rendering engine (independent of the firmware) in the near future to those of IE9.

Q: Will IE9 be included in Win 7 SP2?

Q: Will you be able to import more data from other browsers i.e history, bookmarks, saved passwords etc?

Q: Will there be a "view page info" window with information like a list of images, scripts, embedded videos etc listed on the page you are looking at like there is with the right click menu on websites in firefox?

Q: Will there be a "paste and go" option when you right click the address bar like in chrome and opera?

Q: Can you add more than 1 search bar .eg bing + imdb, google + ebay etc?

Q: Will you be able to update IE9 within the browser like you can in firefox choosing "check for updates"?

Q: Will we be able to customize the location of the tab bar and address bar?

Q: Will we be able to move tabs into the order that we wish to instead of them being in the locations that they were created in order of?

Q: Will IE10 include WebM, Flash 10.1, Silverlight or any other media related codec? Ogg Vorbis?

Q: When will you decide the time to stop adding support for newer features in HTML5 and to lock the code and finish fixing the bugs?

Q: Will there be a Service Pack 1 for IE9 like there have been i previous versions of IE, if so will it just include bug fixes or will it add new HTML5, CSS and similar technologies to IE9?

Q: Will you be getting the Silverlight team to create a 64bit version of Silverlight 4 as there is 64bit IE which has been out for approx 6yrs, chrome 64bit is coming and so is firefox 4 64bit, it would be very beneficial

Q: Will you release an update patch for IE8/9 to make the 64bit the default version on Win7/Vista once a 64bit flash and silverlight have been released?

IE 6 is the cancer of the internet when are you guys going to FORCE people to drop ie 6?

Yes, i'd like to see bing and other MS websites to say "this website is only visible in IE7 or newer please upgrade to a newer browser (preferably IE9)". If google and youtube did this then most of the corporations would be forced to upgrade as nearly every company uses google on a daily basis.

Are they planning to integrate the Pivot client into IE9 ?

I doubt it, MS never like forcing major non OS upgrades in service packs. XP SP3 didn't have IE7 or 8, Vista SP1/2 didn't have IE8 and so on.

They want corporations to install the service pack ASAP and forcing a major browser change on them would just give them an excuse to never install it

but it does.

security and stability updates all the times through WU

I don't believe that's what he meant. HTML, CSS, JS updates rather than introducing a new version.

How would budget DX10 GPUs fair in simultaneous h264 HTML5 playback and Direct2D?

Do you think that your support for h264 video playback will be a major reason for Firefox users to switch to IE9?

IE has always been more customizable than Chrome, will this trend continue?

Sorry guys the interview has been postponed. The IE9 team wasn't in a position to answer most of our questions so we'll likely hold the QnA around the beta time (August).

Q: Will you be able to import more data from other browsers i.e history, bookmarks, saved passwords etc?

Q: Will there be a "view page info" window with information like a list of images, scripts, embedded videos etc listed on the page you are looking at like there is with the right click menu on websites in firefox?

Q: Will there be a "paste and go" option when you right click the address bar like in chrome and opera?

Q: Can you add more than 1 search bar .eg bing + imdb, google + ebay etc?

Q: Will you be able to update IE9 within the browser like you can in firefox choosing "check for updates"?

Q: Will we be able to customize the location of the tab bar and address bar?

Q: Will we be able to move tabs into the order that we wish to instead of them being in the locations that they were created in order of?

Q: Will IE10 include WebM, Flash 10.1, Silverlight or any other media related codec? Ogg Vorbis?

Q: When will you decide the time to stop adding support for newer features in HTML5 and to lock the code and finish fixing the bugs?

Q: Will there be a Service Pack 1 for IE9 like there have been i previous versions of IE, if so will it just include bug fixes or will it add new HTML5, CSS and similar technologies to IE9?

Q: Will you be getting the Silverlight team to create a 64bit version of Silverlight 4 as there is 64bit IE which has been out for approx 6yrs, chrome 64bit is coming and so is firefox 4 64bit, it would be very beneficial

Q: Will you release an update patch for IE8/9 to make the 64bit the default version on Win7/Vista once a 64bit flash and silverlight have been released?

my thought

irrelevant

Sorry guys the interview has been postponed. The IE9 team wasn't in a position to answer most of our questions so we'll likely hold the QnA around the beta time (August).

I had this feeling, I just don't know why but it was in the back of my mind. They just wanted to get some ballpark estimate on technical user's mindset and bam :angry: