[Official] Kinect - Over 4 million units sold!

I got mine in the mail yesterday and played it with a friend and I have to say the sports are actually really fun. They are easy to do, but with a bunch of stoners it's tons of fun.

So it's been a success then? I mean if people actually try it, hardcore gamers or not, and like it that's all MS needs.

So it's been a success then? I mean if people actually try it, hardcore gamers or not, and like it that's all MS needs.

Yes it's a total success. You can use it instead of a mic on Xbox Live too so that's cool.

Does anybody else think MS has missed a marketing trick with this?

Kinect + 3D = Holographic Gaming?

Things could literally pop out of the screen and you could bash/evade/collect said items which would be pretty nifty stuff. It sure beats jumping up and down on an imaginery raft anyway!

I think I've seen too much of Lawnmower Man :wacko:

Does anybody else think MS has missed a marketing trick with this?

Kinect + 3D = Holographic Gaming?

Things could literally pop out of the screen and you could bash/evade/collect said items which would be pretty nifty stuff. It sure beats jumping up and down on an imaginery raft anyway!

I think I've seen too much of Lawnmower Man :wacko:

They haven't missed it at all, if you remember, it was posted here some time ago (actually it might have been in the back page news section) that MS is working on 3D TV tech that doesn't need the funky glasses and doesn't limit you to a specific seating/viewing area to work like current no-glassess 3D TVs do. Those are also only limited to like 2 or 3 people at best because of the nature of the viewing area it can work for.

So in time, maybe come next Xbox when they'll probably start to push 3D as well, you could get that sorta thing going if they get the tech to work and TV makers take advantage of it.

No because current gen 3D sucks.

two choices:

1: annoying flickering glasses

2: non flickering polarized glasses, with annoying interlaced picture

Sounds annoying.

No because current gen 3D sucks.

two choices:

1: annoying flickering glasses

2: non flickering polarized glasses, with annoying interlaced picture

Have you demoed 3DTVs? I've seen about 4 3D movies at the cinema and I HATE IT. It's fuzzy and it makes my head hurt, I find myself taking the glasses off every so often. I went to Marks & Spencer's last weekend and they were demoing the Sony 3DTV with the glasses. I put those on and...WOW. It felt so smooth, the 3D was so much better it was an aquarium demo and it looked absolutely fantastic. I think there's a reason the glasses are £100 and cinema glasses are £3-4.

Trust me, try 3DTV in a retail store and prepare to be shocked. Implementing that in games would be very cool.

EDIT: I didn't see that news story, I'm fairly new to Neowin :)

Have you demoed 3DTVs? I've seen about 4 3D movies at the cinema and I HATE IT. It's fuzzy and it makes my head hurt, I find myself taking the glasses off every so often. I went to Marks & Spencer's last weekend and they were demoing the Sony 3DTV with the glasses. I put those on and...WOW. It felt so smooth, the 3D was so much better it was an aquarium demo and it looked absolutely fantastic. I think there's a reason the glasses are ?100 and cinema glasses are ?3-4.

Trust me, try 3DTV in a retail store and prepare to be shocked. Implementing that in games would be very cool.

EDIT: I didn't see that news story, I'm fairly new to Neowin :)

yes I have demoed them, and actually those cheap cinema glasses are a better technology.

Cinema glasses are polarize, but unlike polarized 3D tv's they're not interlaced. instead the projectors either show both pictures at the same time (best) or switches,(whcih can cause flickering though, not as bad as the flickering with the glasses

The reason you think the cinema is worse is because you probably saw a whole movie with them, and 3D movies trick your eyes into thinking they should focus at a different depth than the screen. the demo TV, youprobably tried at best for a few minutes. a 3D tv, no matter how good, will give the same headache.

yes I have demoed them, and actually those cheap cinema glasses are a better technology.

Cinema glasses are polarize, but unlike polarized 3D tv's they're not interlaced. instead the projectors either show both pictures at the same time (best) or switches,(whcih can cause flickering though, not as bad as the flickering with the glasses

The reason you think the cinema is worse is because you probably saw a whole movie with them, and 3D movies trick your eyes into thinking they should focus at a different depth than the screen. the demo TV, youprobably tried at best for a few minutes. a 3D tv, no matter how good, will give the same headache.

Touch?

Let's just hope TV manufacturers jump on the Toshiba bandwagon and work on perfecting the auto-stereoscopic technology, then we can put our glasses in the loft, next to our cassettes and VHSes :).

I think you mean MS' new technology.

but anyway, glasses or not, full frame to both eyes at the same time or not.

you're still going to have the problem with eyes focusing on the wrong distance with sterescopic 3D.

I think you mean MS' new technology.

but anyway, glasses or not, full frame to both eyes at the same time or not.

you're still going to have the problem with eyes focusing on the wrong distance with sterescopic 3D.

Yeah auto-stereoscopic is MS' tech, I just meant glasses-less tech in general.

There are still issues I agree, but it will be a LONG time before we see true holographic TVs, so for now it's a case of settling with some fuzzy eyes after hours of viewing!

Not sure if it's been mentioned but i read that the voice commands will only be available in four countries at launch: US, UK, Mexico and Japan. And you can't say use English in say France because it will be region locked.

At least until Spring 2011.

Woah i got my controlled yesterday as a very welcome gift in my mail box! ..and i live in Italy, so this time it's a worldwide test for sure! I really didn't expected to get it for real.. just one world i can' say it's AMAZING, controlling stuff just with your finger it's an incredible sensation!

I can't say much more due to the policy.. you know.

:)

Rare dismisses Kinect space concern

"The camera configures itself, basically, when you set it up. Now, obviously, if you've only got that much space [makes a small space between his hands] between your TV there's just not enough space for you to physically fit in the frame of the camera so you need to stand back a little bit.

"But it's not like, 'Hey, look at me over here,' and you're in a massive living room. We live in England."

That looks pretty shoddy :/

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/video-physics-kinect/703804

As soon as it gets slightly complicated with two people it spazzes out.

Not, really, I could explain to you why it is like that, but 1: it'd be pointless and 2: NDA.

but let's say the same thing would be equally well accomplished with the move controller.

It doesn't matter why it does that .No matter what the reason, it's not going to change their agenda.

Not, really, I could explain to you why it is like that, but 1: it'd be pointless and 2: NDA.

but let's say the same thing would be equally well accomplished with the move controller.

meh

yeah, but it's still a user error thing, and it happens because they on purpose do deactivate stuff and use it in ways so the sensor can't detect them. (no you're not mean to stand behind the table)

Well for anyone who paid attention, the post pretty much did say that there's a perfectly good reason why that's happening and it's being done on purpose.

"I could explain to you why it is like that, but 1: it'd be pointless and 2: NDA."

Where?

Not that's it's surprising to see you come here defending anti Kinect FUD spread by someone else. one would think you guys got tired of it eventually.

I saw Kinect do something spazzy. It made me laugh hence I posted it. Why are you getting all upset? :'(

I don't really care, I got it, I know why and how this thing works.

but I do find it funny how you and the self proclaimed former "Saviour"(yes, he did say himself that he was) of the GH keeps going into every Kinect thread there is with every unsubstantiated piece of FUD you can dredge up and post about how it shouldn't do that, and that's funny, and that's stupid and so on.

Of course you try to be clever abotu it and claim you just posted a funny clip.

on the other hand what you could have done is for example post that GIF, then ask if any of us beta testers could tell them if this actually happens in real usage or just in debug mode when you hide behind furniture. But you didn't, instead you went for the sneak troll bait attack.

I mean, if this was something that happened, once, then yes, I could probably buy your story. but that ships sailed years ago.

but I do find it funny how you and the self proclaimed former "Saviour"(yes, he did say himself that he was) of the GH keeps going into every Kinect thread there is with every unsubstantiated piece of FUD you can dredge up and post about how it shouldn't do that, and that's funny, and that's stupid and so on.

Of course you try to be clever abotu it and claim you just posted a funny clip.

on the other hand what you could have done is for example post that GIF, then ask if any of us beta testers could tell them if this actually happens in real usage or just in debug mode when you hide behind furniture. But you didn't, instead you went for the sneak troll bait attack.

I mean, if this was something that happened, once, then yes, I could probably buy your story. but that ships sailed years ago.

I've seen this outside of GH and Neowin in general, that thngs been posted elsewhere and you get the same thing. I for one don't care what people who've never even tried the thing have to say. There have been others like you who are in the beta and or managed to try a demo kosik at some store and have come back with real info on how it's been, that's all that matters in the end.

Then explain! I haven't tried it.

You're reading too much in to this. It's a bit creepy. I could turn the tables on you and say rather than explaining why this happens you've gone off on a little personal attack on AB and my self. :(

Lets just end it here: I posted a funny gif. You didn't like it. Next time may I suggest you simply ignore it if you didn't find it funny? If I find a funny gif for Move I'll be sure to post it in Sonys sub forum to even things out mkay? :)