[Official] Kinect - Over 4 million units sold!

New Ways to Kinect at TGS

kinect1.jpg

Disappointed with the current Kinect line-up? Fear not; Microsoft will unveil new titles for the motion device to woo you with at TGS next week. A recent press release from the company stated ?Kinect for Xbox 360 will take to the global stage once again at the Tokyo Game Show next week to reveal even more new controller-free games and experiences never before possible.?

Kinect going to Tokyo? Will I finally get my Kung-Fu game? Is that racist? So many questions!

My link

Man...I love that pic. That Xbox and the Kinect together in that gloss black is so Darth Vader to me.

Sounds interesting, wonder what games they've been holding on to just for TGS, and other features.

I hope when they say titles they actually mean it. Because at PAX they made out that the boxing game in sports was somehow new information when it wasn't.

I expect something more Japanese specific since it's TGS and so on. I don't know what that might be, but we'll have to wait and see. TGS is way bigger compared to PAX so it does make sense to hold things for this show instead of the smaller one.

Tsunoda describes Kinect's object-scanning, controller-wielding future

by Andrew Yoon on Sep 8th 2010 2:55PM

530nataluseowngear.jpg

One of the cooler features Microsoft touted in its first Project Natal (now Kinect) video was the ability to scan objects and use them in your games. Unfortunately, that feature is nowhere to be found in any Kinect game announced so far, and Microsoft has been mum on the subject ... until now. Kinect mastermind Kudo Tsunoda told Eurogamer that although current games may not utilize it now, it's something we can expect in future titles. "Being able to digitise real-world objects and take them into the virtual world ... I think we're going to see a lot more games start using that as well as we go forward."

The future of Kinect won't be entirely controller-free, either. While Sony has taken shots at the Kinect's lack of button input, Tsunoda says that "it's not like we're trying to take controllers out of the equation." While the current library is focused on an entirely controller-free experience, Tsunoda says that "games that involve both controllers and Kinect as well are totally possible."

"That's one of the unique things about the Xbox platform: we can do controllers; we can do controllers with Kinect, which is more than just motion control, it has voice and human recognition as well." So Kudo, when are you going to reveal the head-tracking enabled, voice-command Halo tactical FPS we just imagined?

Source: Joystiq

Dr. Kawashima trains brains on Kinect with Namco's 'Respond With Your Body: New Brain Training'

by Christopher Grant on Sep 8th 2010 10:17AM

kinect-brain-training-530.jpg

Just when you thought you couldn't train your brain any more, Dr. Ryuta Kawashima ? the Tokyo University-based professor who turned "brain training" into a video game hit with Nintendo's Brain Age series ? is bringing his particular brand of supposed self-improvement to Microsoft's Kinect this November. Instead of using the DS stylus, Karada de Kotareu Atarashii Nou-tore (or "Respond With Your Body: New Brain Training," as translated by Andriasang) tasks one to four players with moving their body to solve problems. For example: Align your arms, analog clock-style, to match a digital time. Your performance will be used to assign an age to your brain (sound familiar?).

You can see some examples in the Japanese trailer embedded below; pay attention or you'll miss the Pac-Man-themed challenge right around the one-minute mark. The game was announced today in Japan as a November 20th Japanese launch title for Kinect, and will retail for ?6,279. No word yet on a US release, but with the Tokyo Game Show next week, we expect to learn more.

Source: Joystiq

Giant Bomb to the rescue (11 mins in)!

rig1ef.jpg

Nice to see the guys at Harmonix have a sense of humour. If I can free the space and find it on the cheap: I think they sold me on Kinect. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life. :(

(Off topic: Some Rock Band 3 footy in there of Bowie if you can find it).

Giant Bomb to the rescue (11 mins in)!

rig1ef.jpg

Nice to see the guys at Harmonix have a sense of humour. If I can free the space and find it on the cheap: I think they sold me on Kinect. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life. :(

(Off topic: Some Rock Band 3 footy in there of Bowie if you can find it).

:D I like how the camera guy was like "Oh no! Sausagefest! Wait, get the hot girl in the frame" :devil:

Digiex has managed to obtain the Xbox 360 Kinect Dashboard Update, version 2.0.12416.0. The dashboard even includes the avatars, something previous leaked dashboard updates have not.

Updating to the new dashboard will disable your Xbox Live access until the dashboard is officially released, so upgrade at your own risk.

This video has a look at all the options available in the dash you can access offline, of course if you have Xbox Live access a lot more will be available.

I personally like the new boot animation and avatar creator best, although on the whole the new dash is very nice to use.

Looks like the speed has improved even more.

I really didn't see much speed improvement. Then again, mine is pretty fast (with the exception of the slow loading friends avatars in the friends section).

• 3 weeks later...

Kinectimals official TV ad:

http://www.eurogamer...nectimals-TV-ad

Kinect Sports official TV ad:

http://www.eurogamer...-active-tv-spot

Kinect Joyride official TV ad:

http://www.eurogamer...oy-ride-tv-spot

Kinect to work with Skyplayer

Kinect will allow control of Sky Player television on Xbox 360 with "a simple wave of the hand" or voice commands such as "pause", "rewind", "fast forward", "play" and, presumably, "stop".The two will work together from Kinect's launch on 10th November.Sky Player - a subscription service - offers 32 live telly channels that span sport, movies and other guff. More than a million people have downloaded the Sky Player client on Xbox 360 since it launched a year ago.A Sky Player subscription for Non-Sky TV Customers starts at £15 a month and scales to £41.50. Those who already subscribe to Sky Multiroom or Sky Broadband Unlimited can watch their subscribed channels for free. Those who subscribe to Sky TV and would like to use Sky Player pay £10 a month.Last month Microsoft hailed the Sky Player as a resounding success.If it were a videogame it would be a top five title, Jerry Johnson, general manager of Xbox Live Studios in Soho said at the Edinburgh Interactive Festival.

MS advises against "clutter" for Kinect

Microsoft has warned that messy floors "with clothes all over the place" will prevent Kinect from working properly. Better have a quick tidy. The company also advised against putting the sensor in "a noisy environment", using the examples "on top of your Xbox" and "on top of your subwoofer".

"We rely on the floor for a number of different parts of the technology," said Mark Plagge, Kinect's senior project manager, during a set-up video.

"You'll see when the sensor first boots up that it actually does this tilt down, and what it's doing is it's looking for the floor plane. Titles use the floor plane as a point of reference for the skeletons as they're moving throughout the title.

"The floor plane becomes very important, so if you have a very cluttered floor with clothes all over the place and we can't get a good look at the floor - it's a great thing if people can clean that up and move things out of the way."

The Kinect sensor should be placed in the horizontal middle of your telly at either the top or bottom. Exactly where will likely be bossed by the location of your telly's speakers, as having the sensor too close will mean audio interference.

"The other thing is that you want to put as much distance between you and the sensor as possible, so [placing the sensor] higher up actually tends to put an extra foot between you and the sensor," explained Tian Lim, director of Kinect development.

"The ideal play space starts about six feet away from the Kinect sensor. Some games will need you to move side to side quite a lot, so you'll want to know there are three-to-four feet on either side of you."

The requirements don't stop there. People with halogen spotlit rooms may encounter difficulties, as the Kinect sensor prefers an even light source throughout.

"To have really bright lighting in one spot and really dark lighting in another spot: as you move between the two you might actually look a bit different to the sensor, [and it will be] a little bit harder for us to keep track of you throughout the play space," said Kareem Choudhry, principal development manager on Kinect.

Don't panic if you can't remember that, as you'll be walked through each of the elements by on-screen Kinect setup tools.

The Kinect sensor launches on 10th November in the UK. Alone, it costs £130.

My link

Looks like I am safe :)

Not mine, but funny :p

So you need to be:

- White

- Standing up

- Beardless

- Have a clean living room

- Have even lighting

- Quiet house

- Not be into Metallica

Hmm.... I have a coffee table between the couch and TV. I wonder how it'll react to that. BTW, happy birthday AWBrian! :cake:

Looks like the dashboard preview starts today :D! Source: http://digiex.net/co...ater-today.html

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Confirmed by Major Nelson as well. NOW I WANT TO GET HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

would have been more funny I guessif at leats one of them was accurate, but eh.

Agreed.

Hmm.... I have a coffee table between the couch and TV. I wonder how it'll react to that. BTW, happy birthday AWBrian! :cake:

That is a good question. I have like this ottoman in front of my couch. However, just like with the Wii, we end up moving the ottoman out of the way. Oh, and thanks for the Birthday wishes!!! biggrin.gif

Kinect confirmed to let you video chat with any PC users that have Windows Live Messenger is confirmed:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-29-kinect-will-talk-to-msn-messenger

Whoa..nice.