Microsoft extends Windows XP downgrade rights until 2020

You honestly believe that supporting an OS for nearly 20 years when there's going to be plenty of new versions of the OS well after that is... a good move?

Why XP? Why not.. Windows 95! What makes XP so special, that it gets to live so long, while other ancient OS's were ok to be left behind?

This whole thing is retarded. XP needs to die. Anyone who believes XP should be installed natively on MODERN HARDWARE (read: core iX cpus, 4GB+ RAM, etc) is a freakin RETARD. XP Cannot properly use all that hardware the way it's supposed to be used, and eventually there won't even be DRIVERS for new hardware on XP!

Two reasons, the first is that Windows XP is based on Windows NT which is a lot more reliable than the win9x line. The second is if you are a enterprise customer, it's not always about the cost to upgrade the clients but it's the costs it takes to upgrade their middleware, servers, intranets and other bespoke software systems which stop the upgrade.

Personally ive migrated my company to Windows 7 as the benefits outweighed the benefits of keeping XP, however the next company might be completely different.

Personally ive migrated my company to Windows 7 as the benefits outweighed the benefits of keeping XP, however the next company might be completely different.

+1

For some companies the new features in Win7 make the move totally worth it, but for others it makes no sense (at my work, I can't think of a SINGLE feature that would help me do my job, I would much rather them spend the money on hardware, now that would make me work faster)

You honestly believe that supporting an OS for nearly 20 years when there's going to be plenty of new versions of the OS well after that is... a good move?

Why XP? Why not.. Windows 95! What makes XP so special, that it gets to live so long, while other ancient OS's were ok to be left behind?

This whole thing is retarded. XP needs to die. Anyone who believes XP should be installed natively on MODERN HARDWARE (read: core iX cpus, 4GB+ RAM, etc) is a freakin RETARD. XP Cannot properly use all that hardware the way it's supposed to be used, and eventually there won't even be DRIVERS for new hardware on XP!

And how does this affect you? There is infrastructure in place that needs to be upgraded before your clients. Not to mention software packages that you need. You have to find some way to finance all that. I actually know some schools still running both 98 and 2000 machines. It's one thing if you're running a small business or home users, but it's hard for bigger businesses and all the stuff they require and schools that have no money.

so basically they're going to say "here you go, run a 20 year old system if you like, just know that there's 6 year's worth of vulnerabilities in it which we won't help you with"?

I just don't understand why people are so negative about xp, seriously comments like "die already!!" make me want to laugh, what has a damn operating system ever done to you that you want it to die so badly, didn't you ever use it and had good experiences with it? Not everyone needs windows 7 and for someone xp is just enough, i have an i7 machine and i never had trouble using xp, and i really do not need to switch to 7. So just grow up and stop being so offensive against an os that proved to be great over the years ;)

Why do you care so much, what would you know about what is a good move and what isn't when you are so close minded and only think of yourself and not other peoples situation

XP doesn't need to die, also noone mentioned this was done for "modern hardware" and even if people do use it for modern hardware so what? your attacks are just childish a large amount of people prefer xp and who the hell are you to say they can't use it or call them retarded for using it on newer hardware?

Also last i checked XP can take advantage of multiple cores without any problem, and so can all the applications that run on it, there is 64 bit xp for the additional ram if people get it working the way they want then what is so bad about that? you're always moaning in these threads about how everyone should always be on the latest software/hardware just give it a rest

Did you know there are devices that are still valuable/usable that won't work in windows 7 due to lack of drivers? but i guess in your limited point of view thats the manufactures fault for not foreseeing a newer version of windows and writing capable drivers for it, newer isn't always better.

Um, why do you guys get so ****ed of ?

Its not like anyone is forcing you to install or use XP.

heh it does seem like it.

I just don't understand why people are so negative about xp, seriously comments like "die already!!" make me want to laugh, what has a damn operating system ever done to you that you want it to die so badly, didn't you ever use it and had good experiences with it? Not everyone needs windows 7 and for someone xp is just enough, i have an i7 machine and i never had trouble using xp, and i really do not need to switch to 7. So just grow up and stop being so offensive against an os that proved to be great over the years ;)

yeah it's just childish

UPDATE 7/13: We?ve seen some confusion regarding the information in this blog post covering the changes we?ve announced to end user downgrade rights so I wanted to update this post with some clarification.

Customers who purchase Windows 7 PCs with end user downgrade rights as provided in the software license terms (EULA) will be able to downgrade to Windows XP Professional on those PCs for the life of the PC. However, customers will not be able to buy a Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate PC with end user downgrade rights after Windows 7 reaches the end of sales date in the OEM channel ? which according to the current Windows Lifecycle policy is 2 years after the next version of Windows ships.

These changes are unrelated to our technical support policy. As mentioned in this blog post, extended support for Windows XP SP3 will continue through April 2014. So customers who downgrade their Windows 7 PCs to Windows XP will no longer be able to receive extended support after April 2014. After April 2014, customers will need to either get a custom support agreement or install a more modern OS on those PCs.

Source.

This is what I don't understand. This applies to new PCs only. You've already paid for the Windows 7 licence. Why not just use it instead of using XP?

This has NOTHING to do with existing hardware. Just new hardware.

This is what I don't understand. This applies to new PCs only. You've already paid for the Windows 7 licence. Why not just use it instead of using XP?

This has NOTHING to do with existing hardware. Just new hardware.

Because some businesses/institutions don't have the management tools for Windows 7 machines. Plus you have a whole new set of compatibility issues and showing people how to use it, imaging, etc.

Because some businesses/institutions don't have the management tools for Windows 7 machines. Plus you have a whole new set of compatibility issues and showing people how to use it, imaging, etc.

If by 2020 people don't know how to use windows 7.... muchless 8 or 9 or whatever version is out by then... and if your software isn't compatible with anything but XP, you have larger problems on hand. Its like using software written for Windows 3.1 in 2010

If by 2020 people don't know how to use windows 7.... muchless 8 or 9 or whatever version is out by then... and if your software isn't compatible with anything but XP, you have larger problems on hand. Its like using software written for Windows 3.1 in 2010

It's not always about the end user though. If you have 10,000 PCs running WinXP and you buy 100 new pcs, you don't want to have to micro manage them, having XP on them makes everything easier until your organization makes the switch

It's not always about the end user though. If you have 10,000 PCs running WinXP and you buy 100 new pcs, you don't want to have to micro manage them, having XP on them makes everything easier until your organization makes the switch

Which will never happen that way.

Which will never happen that way.

Uh? Not sure what you're trying to say? My work has started buying new pcs recentely (they had stop due to budget freeze :() and they remove Win7 and install their own WinXP image (which is more of less standard across the entire organization, except for drivers). They are planning to move to 7 some time in 2011 or 2012 at which time they'll roll a new image across the organization.....It's not because the new PCs they're buying now come with 7 that they'll leave it on, it would create a mess to support