Inception

You can't be serious :/

Yeah, very serious. I didn't get it at all. By the end of the movie, I didn't even know what the plot was. I had to read the summary on Wikipedia. And even then; still confused.

I might have to see it again when it's released on DVD. Maybe I'll pay more attention...

This blew my mind slightly.

Very cool! Hans Zimmer is a true genius. His soundtracks are the definition of epic. This one is a personal favourite.

Going to see it again tomorrow, only in IMAX this time. :D

Finally got to see this in IMAX. An original masterpiece and a work of art imho. Where it would have been easy to have included unnecessary amounts of swearing or sexuality, Nolan delivers tremendously without falling back on these elements, something I truly appreciate. I like his nitty, gritty realistic style, and can't wait to watch this movie again. 9.5/10

Awesome bit about the music. Hadn't realized how similar they were. I'll be seeing it again this weekend. Probably go for IMAX. First movie I've gone to see twice in theatres in probably a decade. Can't get it out of my head, can't wait for Bluray :laugh:

Ok.. I have been trying to figure this out..

Most of the internet boards are saying that

Cobb and Saito Shot themselves to get out of limbo

I think there was more! I don't know if it has been discussed yet but:

At the end, when Cobb Meets old Saito, he is telling him that he has to tell him something but he has forgotten (something along those lines, I don't quite remember the words to be exact). Saito Is confused and is thinking about what Cobb's needs to tell him..Then they are back on the plane, awake & safe and sound.

Now.. I think Did Cobb's put another Idea into Saito's head *Inception* without Saito knowing about it, causing the current limbo to be another dream-state created by Cobb just incase one does go to Limbo. So that's 3 Inception's in one movie?

Could this theory really be the explanation of how they ended up back in reality?

Both of them were going to wake up anyway, right? When they explained limbo, they said it could be decades, but ultimately when they came back they would have lost their damn minds.

Ok.. I have been trying to figure this out..

Most of the internet boards are saying that

Cobb and Saito Shot themselves to get out of limbo

I think there was more! I don't know if it has been discussed yet but:

At the end, when Cobb Meets old Saito, he is telling him that he has to tell him something but he has forgotten (something along those lines, I don't quite remember the words to be exact). Saito Is confused and is thinking about what Cobb's needs to tell him..Then they are back on the plane, awake & safe and sound.

Now.. I think Did Cobb's put another Idea into Saito's head *Inception* without Saito knowing about it, causing the current limbo to be another dream-state created by Cobb just incase one does go to Limbo. So that's 3 Inception's in one movie?

Could this theory really be the explanation of how they ended up back in reality?

I thought of that myself, that Cobb put an idea in Saito. But they explained inception doesnt work like that. What Cobb did was just TELL him. They said inception wouldnt work by just telling them because they wouldnt reject the idea as it is extraneous to them. What I'm wondering is if Ariadne pulled an Inception on Cobb.

I just saw this thread (saw the movie last week though).

The movie can only be described as AWESOME! it's one of the best movies I've seen in a while. DiCaprio has been on a roll since 2005: Blood Diamond, The Departed (weakest one IMO), Body of Lies, Shutter Island, Inception.

I just saw this thread (saw the movie last week though).

The movie can only be described as AWESOME! it's one of the best movies I've seen in a while. DiCaprio has been on a roll since 2005: Blood Diamond, The Departed (weakest one IMO), Body of Lies, Shutter Island, Inception.

IMO, DiCaprio's acting in those movies: The Departed, Blood Diamond, Inception, Body of Lies, Shutter Island... I thought he did amazing in The Departed.

It's good. I really did enjoy it, but for some reason I was expecting more. I was expecting more thinking from the movie, but it was just too easy to understand. I don't know....

I thought The Departed was better IMO, which I'll be watching again tonight :)

IMO, DiCaprio's acting in those movies: The Departed, Blood Diamond, Inception, Body of Lies, Shutter Island... I thought he did amazing in The Departed.

I thought he did best in Gangs of New York, personally.

Inception was excellent. Not really thought provoking as say, The Matrix.

I found it very simple to follow. There really wasn't much complexity to its story.

The spinning 'totem' in the end is the only thing that makes you question something that really needs no answering.

I didn't find the need to go back in and dissect the movie after I was done. Was very well entertaining and pretty much was what it was built as, a 007 movie built around dream terminology.

I also was expecting more out of this flick.

Modest 8.5/10

Another masterpiece by Christopher Nolan.

I was enjoying the film initially but it wasn't until the main dream within a dream within a dream section of the film really started to pick up pace that I just completely got absorbed into it. The score was stunning, the visual effects stunning, the acting was perfect, and the film was shot beautifully.

Absolutely loved it. I think I have to go see it again.

Just wanted to add regarding the closing shot of the spinning top. Pretty confident Cobb had returned to reality as in all the dreams, the spinning top always span absolutely perfectly.. but in the closing shot it was flicking and looking like it was going to topple. Additionally, a friend I was with noticed that Cobb wears a wedding ring whenever he's in a dream sequence, he wears a wedding ring. But he couldn't spot in the closing scene whether he was wearing it or not....

Someone tell me I missed something, because else this movie falls flat on his face:

Do they give at any point any compelling explanation about why you need a kick on each level to get back to reality rather than one single kick? Because if they did I missed it, and considering the last part of the movie was pretty much just about that, it all seemed pointless to me.

So, if they did, my fault. Else there went my suspension of disbelief.

Other than that

I think that the whole idea about industrial espionage through dreams is brilliant, but they intentionally overcomplicated the process with all mechanics involving switching levels and the limbo in a not very credible way, just to give the plot a leg to stand on.

If we take The Matrix, as example, the gap between reality and scifi is blended nicely with some scifi technology that interfaces with the brain to fool your sensorium with fake perceptions that make up for a virtual world. The actual tech is unexplained, but the concept is simple enough. The spectator can easily relate that with real things like alienation on internet and take the step further as plausible.

Inception, on the other hand, takes something as common as dreams, redefining and overengineering the concept and the mechanics without bothering to fill the gap.

Again either I missed something, or maybe most people were drawn by the plot twists and distracted from the fact there it all basically didn't make any sense.

Regarding the ending,

I think you could analyze the whole movie for years and still not reach a definitive conclusion about what actually happened, and that's the way it's probably intended to be. Just out of the two most simple possibilities (either Cobb woke up or he's still asleep somewhere in limbo) my take is he didn't make it and is still asleep, just because the kids were almost exactly in the same position as they were last time he saw them, and even with the same clothes (IIRC). That and because happy endings suck :p

I also think that whether the top tumbles or spins forever is irrelevant: the point of the totems was not telling if you are dreaming or awake (at some point Cobb says something that seems to imply the do, but their purpose is clearly explained earlier), but knowing if you are in other people's dream or not. The idea is that all totems have some sort of imperfection that make it's behavior unpredictable for anyone but yourself, so it wouldn't work as it should in other people's dream but it would on yours because you know what should happen. That's the whole point of not letting anyone else touch your totem.

Considering we don't get an explanation about what the top should do (I'd guess it should be loaded so it either spins in some funny way or always falls in the same position, as not spinning forever would be kinda obvious and stupid) I don't see any point in over analyzing it. At most, given that the top in the final sequence is not spinning smoothly as it does every other time all through the movie, you could guess that Cobb is not in other person's dream, but that still doesn't imply that he's awake.

All in all despite it's flaws it's an entertaining movie nonetheless. Not awesome nor mind blowing in any way (other than the few CGI sequences we already saw on the trailer), but worth watching.

The kick was to get back to where they dreamed from. Kick in dream three pushes wakes them up in dream two. Kick in dream two, pushes them back to dream one, and so on until they kick their way out of sleeping altogether.

The kick was to get back to where they dreamed from. Kick in dream three pushes wakes them up in dream two. Kick in dream two, pushes them back to dream one, and so on until they kick their way out of sleeping altogether.

I know, but why wouldn't a kick in the real world get them back from whatever level they are? Even if you dream that you are dreaming, you are still dreaming anyway.

I know, but why wouldn't a kick in the real world get them back from whatever level they are? Even if you dream that you are dreaming, you are still dreaming anyway.

The movie explained that - they were on stronger drugs to allow them to go down further...

They were in a deeper sleep so could not be affected by the real world.

The movie explained that - they were on stronger drugs to allow them to go down further...

They were in a deeper sleep so could not be affected by the real world.

That's something, at least (maybe I got asleep halfway through the movie? would be kinda fitting :laugh: )

It shouldn't affect dreams from levels 1 onwards though.

That's something, at least (maybe I got asleep halfway through the movie? would be kinda fitting :laugh: )

It shouldn't affect dreams from levels 1 onwards though.

The dosage sends them into a deep sleep so no external event will wake them up... doesn't matter what level they are on.

They have to wake up internally, within the dream

The dosage sends them into a deep sleep so no external event will wake them up... doesn't matter what level they are on.

They have to wake up internally, within the dream

I don't think my suspension of disbelief buys that, but fair enough :yes:

By the end of the movie I totally forgot the fact they were originally on an jet. Up until that point they went into so many dreams inside dreams that I thought the real world was the van.