I confess: I bought an iPad (and so far I love it)

you like them because the all mighty Steve has shown you the light and you now will only by his products. what ever the price and lack of features it has !

Wow your so witty, why not try to contribute instead acting like a complete dick.

Put some substance into your posts.

I love my iPad.

Also screw flash, HTML5 is the way of the future.

As it has been said numerous times, HTML 5 isn't the future. Give us one good reason Flash is bad. I'm on a tablet right now that runs flash perfectly, and it never crashes like you would like to think. You are just proof of how blindly some of Apple's customers believe Steve Jobs.

All of these "I got an iPad" threads go the same way every time. The iPad is good at what it does, but that is very limited (no flash, no printing, locked app store, no multitasking no keyboard, no camera, no USB ports, no memory card slots, no pen imput, etc) Moderators should really lock these threads, they get absolutely nowhere. Some people like Pads, others don't.

As it has been said numerous times, HTML 5 isn't the future. Give us one good reason Flash is bad. I'm on a tablet right now that runs flash perfectly, and it never crashes like you would like to think. You are just proof of how blindly some of Apple's customers believe Steve Jobs.

All of these "I got an iPad" threads go the same way every time. The iPad is good at what it does, but that is very limited (no flash, no printing, locked app store, no multitasking no keyboard, no camera, no USB ports, no memory card slots, no pen imput, etc) Moderators should really lock these threads, they get absolutely nowhere. Some people like Pads, others don't.

And its people trying to rain down on somebodys happiness, you don't like the iPad

Then get the hell out of the thread. You don't like apple, then Get out of the thread, just STFU about all YOUR negative things regarding it and get over it.

If somebody doesn't like PS3, or XBOX, or APPLE, or MICROSOFT they blast the crap through everybody's threads, if you want to have group therapy bashing somebody's stuff, go have a group orgy in a group session praising your product and bashing everything else.

These threads shouldn't be locked, it's people coming in raining on their stuff that should stay out

People said cars wouldn't be popular because of noise and smell, guess what happened, people said computers wouldn't be popular, guess what, people said we wouldn't fly, guess what.

If you don't like the iPad, then Get the F out, you don't like apple, then get the F out, thread started created thread cause he likes his iPad, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE TO BASH HIM, HIS LIKES OR HIS OPINIONS, GET OVER YOURSELF

i do like the iphone but there is better cheaper options out there

People lets hold hands and chant the almighty Steve jobs name over and over !

apple gives me life, apple gives me happiness, apple gives me 1 of my 5 a day

Better for you, you mean ?

And I'm not chanting anybodys name, IMO jobs is not a god, his name doesn't deserve to be chanted. I do own 4 of his products compared to the crapload of other gadgets and electronics I own, but just because known an apple product, doesn't make me a fanboy or a apple lover, or follower. It just means I bought a product from a company

most phones do the exact same thing now of days so there is not much between them

Steve Jobs is our shepherd we are his sheep

So does that mean you bash it just because it's apple ? If most do the exact same thing, then why bash it

most phones do the exact same thing now of days so there is not much between them

What phone/PC/OS do you have?

I'm guessing maybe a Nokia mobile and a Dell PC with Windows XP?

You don't like change and you hate other choices.

what websites use html5 anyway? does an ipad have enough processor power to play video wrapped in html5?

how many hours of active browsing while listening to streamed music does it get on the battery?

how is browsing and posting on forums on it?

what kinds of video do you watch on the net that isn't flash? and how long did it take you to hunt down these ipad compatable streaming video sites?

do you use a case or some other accessory to prop it up on your lap or a table so you can use both hands on it?

how fast is it to switch windows. i mean apps. i mean tasks. for example, if i have an im running is there a taskbar or something i can switch from my browser when someone's messages me?

what are it's wireless networking capabilities? can i stream media from my pc to it on teh same network? will it work with my router? do i need a mac to take full advantage of streaming or is it limited to osx?(ok that one was totally unfair)

how is typing documents on it? taking notes in a class? what kind of wpm can you get on it?

what kind of apps does it have in the app store? can i buy and install non apple approved apps from a 3rd party?

can i plug a full sized keyboard to it for typing? what about a mouse?

What phone/PC/OS do you have?

I'm guessing maybe a Nokia mobile and a Dell PC with Windows XP?

You don't like change and you hate other choices.

I have a Samsung u600 home built pc running windows 7

bit out :D

i might get a HTC mobile but not sure what OS windows or android could even be a blackberry

what websites use html5 anyway? does an ipad have enough processor power to play video wrapped in html5?

very little about 4 lol, YES

how many hours of active browsing while listening to streamed music does it get on the battery?

Not sure

Same as net-book

what kinds of video do you watch on the net that isn't flash? and how long did it take you to hunt down these ipad compatable streaming video sites?

most video stores you need to have a app

do you use a case or some other accessory to prop it up on your lap or a table so you can use both hands on it?

Not got

how fast is it to switch windows. i mean apps. i mean tasks. for example, if i have an im running is there a taskbar or something i can switch from my browser when someone's messages me?

close program - home button - next app

what are it's wireless networking capabilities? can i stream media from my pc to it on teh same network? will it work with my router? do i need a mac to take full advantage of streaming or is it limited to osx?(ok that one was totally unfair)

very limited

how is typing documents on it? taking notes in a class? what kind of wpm can you get on it?

Same as notebook if you use keyboard with it, very aucword without

what kind of apps does it have in the app store? can i buy and install non apple approved apps from a 3rd party?

all types - no p0rn aps - and no

you prob need a conpatable accessory for it like a dock

People lets hold hands and chant the almighty Steve jobs name over and over !

apple gives me life, apple gives me happiness, apple gives me 1 of my 5 a day

Oh my...

:rofl: That's some funny ****!

We are Apple, lower your credit score, and surrender your overdraft, your computing and browsing habits shall adapt to service us, resistance is futile.

No problems here, but I don't know of many sites that stream video Other then Hulu, netflix, and YouTube and there are apps in the AppStore specifically for all of those

I get a litttle above 8 while listening to music, using stumbled upon and browsing forums

I'm using it now, no problems on any forums I visit

other then occasional YouTube and netflix i don't stream much video with it, but i do have videos on it, but it s local on the device, not streamed

I have and use the Apple case, but rarely prop it up, currently im sitting on the couch with my nieces watching some cartoon, and it's propped on a leg

Switches programs quickly, hit 1 button and select another, it's as quick if not quicker then hitting the start menu and selecting a program

it's wireless is N, yes you can stream, yes from your PC on same network, and in some cases even if not on the same network depending on the app, and no it's not limited to OSX, my streaming machine is a Windows 7 Self Built. And shouldn't have problems with your router as long as it follows 802.11 and IP standards

typing a document is fine, i can create word docs, PDF, as well as sync online to my laptop and desktop using programs like Evernote, and Pages. My WPM is the same regardless if i use the onscreen KB, or attach my own.

it has all kinds of apps in the AppStore, if you have itunes installed (free) you can browse and see for yourself. And yes you can install non approved apps if you want, just like my Sprint cellphone, if i want to install non approved apps, i have to Jailbreak it.

Yes you can via Bluetooth, and i have used various kinds ranging from Apples to Dells Bluetooth keyboards and each works fine, a mouse you can if you jailbreak it and the app supports it

Youtube has been using HTML5 encoding since at least January. I haven't found a video yet on their site that doesn't play right. It also has the added benefit of not displaying ads and annoying annotations in the video. win.

I have to charge it about once a week. That's with lots of browsing and Plants vs Zombies playing

It's Safari. It works as you would expect Safari to. Good plus though - no annoying Flash ads

As mentioned most Youtube videos work fine, as do DailyMotion and a few others.

I use the Apple case. Usually though I just hold it in my hand or prop it up a knee

As fast as switching is on an iPhone. It doesn't multitask. We get it.

It's not some alien piece of equipment. It works fine with any router and streaming from my home Windows 7 PC works with no problem

I don't type fast anyway, but I take notes at work with it without an issue.

You can jailbreak it, a task that takes literally 10 seconds. 3rd party apps generally suck anyway.

No and nope. That's why you should have a normal computer. It's a tablet. Not a full fledged PC replacement.

No and nope. That's why you should have a normal computer. It's a tablet. Not a full fledged PC replacement.

You can use a bluetooth keyboard or you can plug in a USB keyboard with the camera connection kit.

Any kind of video playback on a mobile device kills battery, but not as bad as a flash video...

It may be on a mac laptop because it uses full software CPU cycles because Apple is closed up platform and didn't want to give support for Flash player like other OSs did.

Just recently they opened necessary APIs for Flash to use OSX.

Instead of spitting on the technology, you should look for the real cause of why Flash sucks on Mac platform. It's because of Apple not Adobe.

As far as Flash on mobile devices.. You are repeating Jobs' comments.. Flash is not taking any more battery then me watching a video, running a 3rd party app on iPhone or whatever.

It works fine and my battery still lasts longer than iPhone 4 on Nexus One and Android 2.2

It may be on a mac laptop because it uses full software CPU cycles because Apple is closed up platform and didn't want to give support for Flash player like other OSs did.

Just recently they opened necessary APIs for Flash to use OSX.

Instead of spitting on the technology, you should look for the real cause of why Flash sucks on Mac platform. It's because of Apple not Adobe.

As far as Flash on mobile devices.. You are repeating Jobs' comments.. Flash is not taking any more battery then me watching a video, running a 3rd party app on iPhone or whatever.

It works fine and my battery still lasts longer than iPhone 4 on Nexus One and Android 2.2

I'm not evangelizing html5 as the end all be all flash killer nor saying that flash has no place on mobile devices, but as far as I know there is a difference between running a flash video in a browser on a device like the iPad versus playing an h.264 video via quicktime which has dedicated hardware acceleration on the chip.

Does Flash have the same level of hardware acceleration on mobile devices yet?

Forgot to add that when I get an IM, I get a popup on screen, I can hit close or reply, if I hit reply it brings up the app that i use for IM, and then I just start typing, I can use msnim,aol, as well as trillian and connect to others, even facebooks chat

No problems here, but I don't know of many sites that stream video Other then Hulu, netflix, and YouTube and there are apps in the AppStore specifically for all of those

LOL..and thats the problem rigth there.. you don't want to know.. so you look for those you can justify.

There are TONS of video streaming sites with TV shows (every single TV network uses Flash to stream full episodes of their shows on their sites) and they all use FLash.. I believe that some of them specifically said that they won't be making Apple specific sites because they dont' want to dumb down the functionality and interactivity of their sites.

We are talking NBC, CBS, ABC, USA , Amazon Video Store etc etc..

Here's what some of them say:

Other media companies, such as Disney and CBS, have accommodated Jobs on some level. Disney has created an iPad app, and CBS is trying to offer a limited number of shows via the iPad's browser. However, news of media companies as large as NBC and Time Warner shunning Jobs and his radical approach can't be good for the makers of the world's most popular smartphone and tablet.

As I said 70% of the web. Even with CBS who is offering some videos and shows online they are not all available for iPad or iPhone, only limited ones. And this is just video.. Of course, Flash has so much more then video. You build full blown interactive applications. One example is wildly popular music portal Grooveshark where you can listen to all songs for free and you can buy them too and because Apple simply doesn't want to allow them (http://mobile.grooveshark.com/iphone).. Do you know why Grooveshark is using Flash? Because it allows them to stream DRMed songs to you for free without the fear of getting downloaded.. That's why they have big contracts with music industry.. Something you will never get with HTML5 or making it an iPhone/iPad app because Apple wants even developers to go through them for this stuff so they can money.

Also.. another great example is online editing platform suite built completely in Flash called Aviary (photo editing, video editing, audio editing etc etc).. Something you will never see in HTML5..

HTML5 is simplistic approach to web.. it's definitely needed for regular html websites, for news sites, for shopping sites..that's all great.. but when it comes to creating immersive online tools and experiences it just becomes a hassle and not the right tool for the job, not to mention that it can't do certain things at all. And that's before you realize that there are no real tools to build creative HTML5 applications and UIs.

And btw, you will never see websites like this done in HTML5.. it least for another decade and questionable whether it's going to be HTML5 then.

http://vimeo.com/13702935

other then netflix, I DO NOT CARE. i dont give a crap about CBS, NBC,ABC,USA, or anyother broadcast station. i stream music using Last.FM / Pandora, why because i also use it on my Xbox 360

you want to watch it, then fine thats your choice, THEN DONT FREKIN BUY IT. frankly i could care less why you dont like the iPad, i like my iPad, it does what i want, it goes where i go on my desktop/laptop.

as far as flash, i barely have a use for it, literally i went for months without even having it installed on my main machine, i didnt notice untill last month or something. i could give a rats a** about HTML5 or Flash, but because of the problems i have had with Flash, i dont care for it, literally the ONLY thing i have seen shy of Hulu use flash is Advertisements, every other site i visit doesnt use it

i barely watch TV, i only have CableTV because my internet is bundled with it. i can Watch ABC if i want, because there is an app for it, i have it, but i dont watch it. the only thing i have my TV for is Blu-Ray / HDDVD / Netflix / Xbox360 / PS3 / DVD

and what i find suprising is your bashing apple, yet behind Adobe, which does the same thing regarding Flash, you want to watch flash how many programs can you use to do that? how many programs can you use to CREATE it ? if i want to create HTML i can go to a DOS computer and do an " Edit index.htm " and create a frekin webpage, let alone use ANY other computer using ANY OS and ANY txt program. im not limited to 1 software package.

im also not limited to the App Store, i can jailbreak my iPad and use Cydia and install any bloody app i want that somebody creates for the device, apple approved or not.

and apple isnt the only company that locks their device, i cant use my Sprint phone on another carrier, Crap i cant even install an app unless its in sprints store. yet nobody complains about the cell phone companies, but HOLY CRAP APPLE IS DOING IT BURN IT DOWN

LOL..and thats the problem rigth there.. you don't want to know.. so you look for those you can justify.

There are TONS of video streaming sites with TV shows (every single TV network uses Flash to stream full episodes of their shows on their sites) and they all use FLash.. I believe that some of them specifically said that they won't be making Apple specific sites because they dont' want to dumb down the functionality and interactivity of their sites.

We are talking NBC, CBS, ABC, USA , Amazon Video Store etc etc..

Here's what some of them say:

As I said 70% of the web. Even with CBS who is offering some videos and shows online they are not all available for iPad or iPhone, only limited ones. And this is just video.. Of course, Flash has so much more then video. You build full blown interactive applications. One example is wildly popular music portal Grooveshark where you can listen to all songs for free and you can buy them too and because Apple simply doesn't want to allow them (http://mobile.grooveshark.com/iphone).. Do you know why Grooveshark is using Flash? Because it allows them to stream DRMed songs to you for free without the fear of getting downloaded.. That's why they have big contracts with music industry.. Something you will never get with HTML5 or making it an iPhone/iPad app because Apple wants even developers to go through them for this stuff so they can money.

Also.. another great example is online editing platform suite built completely in Flash called Aviary (photo editing, video editing, audio editing etc etc).. Something you will never see in HTML5..

HTML5 is simplistic approach to web.. it's definitely needed for regular html websites, for news sites, for shopping sites..that's all great.. but when it comes to creating immersive online tools and experiences it just becomes a hassle and not the right tool for the job, not to mention that it can't do certain things at all. And that's before you realize that there are no real tools to build creative HTML5 applications and UIs.

and what i find suprising is your bashing apple, yet behind Adobe, which does the same thing regarding Flash, you want to watch flash how many programs can you use to do that? how many programs can you use to CREATE it ?

Plenty of programs write to SWF format.. Adobe just makes the best authoring tools. SWF format has been open (had their specifications open) since 2008. That's why there are plenty of apps that write to SWF format and so forth. Namely one you surely heard of SWiSH.

And I bash Apple because they are not the same as Adobe. Adobe makes software and software alone. They brought us some of the truly revolutionary and evolutionary software to interent while everyone else was standing still like Microsoft, HTML in general.

They have improved capabilities of Flash beyond what I could have expected.. they made sure that you can connect to any services or APIs from Flash not only Adobe's. They made it possible to create some stunning video stuff including live camera streaming and so forth that was not possible prior to them doing it. And they of course made it available to be cross platform. If we were to listen to Apple we should build apps on every platform separately so they can make money off it. What a smug, nonsensical way of looking at it. But hey, it makes sense to Apple, cause it's in their interest.

They have problems sure.. and I have my own set of complaints for them.. but we are not talking about Adobe.. we are talking about the fact that Apple as always is expecting everyone to bend over to them, to make their platforms and services work for Apple's bottom line and people defend it. Apple wants all services, products and development tools to be theirs. In addition, all content you buy, you consume on your Apple devices is again, for the most part tied to them alone.

They are closed up, they sabotage everyone who tries to offer something that gives people something for free when they want to charge for it and so forth. They are just bad company and they are bad for the industry, for internet, for everything technology wise because a model where one man, one company controls everything and tells us what we can watch and what we can't, what we can run and what we can't on the devices WE PAID for is evil any way you look at it and should not be supported in any way.

Remember the Mp3 players before the iPod, how popular were they then. Vs now, let alone it's popularity BEFORE it hit Windows compatability.

Same with Tablets ( not convertible laptops ). Before the iPod hardly anybody was making an Mp3 player, most didn't know what it was.

Now everybody is coming out with a tablet. Before the iPad theee was what like 3 tablets and they were a couple grand each

I was really really hoping for the HP Slate to come out, even after i got my iPad, but They changed it, then canned it. Now it's enterprise and will include a Palm OS, because it's enterprise you can bet it will be expensive in comparison. And include a lot less if not be just a mobile monitor

And as far as closed, look at the MS Zune, it's even more closed then the iPod touch. Nobody bash's that. Heck you even need special money to get stuff off that.

PlayForShure- yea good one there, MS closed it down, people that support it are out in the cold unable to play their stuff if they change computers, let alone OS, reload. And multiple companies and MP3 players used that. I will admit apple's drm wasn't any better, but I can convert my apple drm for non drm(with cost)

Apple is not the only kid on the block, almost every company does the same, but yet you bash apple

And who was offering a service for free that apple has shut down ?

Flash is alright. However, it's been on the way out for some time now. No one really cares for it. Certainly no web designer/developer I speak to care for it. It was hot in 2000 when people were building all those cool experimental art sites with it and "cutting edge" web design magazines were filled with trendy vector art and pixel fonts. Vector art and transparency because they were the cool things that one could do with Flash. Pixel fonts because people were obsessed with small type then, and small antialiased type was hard to read in Flash. Not that many people actually built anything useful with it back then, but I digress.

These days JavaScript is being used to build the cool experimental stuff. ActionScript isn't really on the radar anymore. People don't really care if you have ActionScript in your resume. That's the reality of the current web industry. Developers have voted and Flash has lost. JavaScript is the preferred technology for the vast majority of new web applications being built. The killer apps like Gmail require JS. Flash? It's killer app was probably YouTube. Which no longer requires it. If it were not for Video, Flash might have been on the way out even sooner.

Another challenge for Flash is that Adobe is the only one with any interest in advancing the state of the art for it. The result? We've had awful performance on Linux for years - on full-fat computers too. We're not even talking mobile devices. On the other hand Google, Apple, Mozilla and Microsoft are competing with each other in advancing the state of the art of JavaScript in their browsers. Every new browser release seems to come with "now 10% faster JavaScript execution thann xyz!".